Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. My boyfriends getting exasperated with me as I can't seem to make a decision. Everytime I think I've got a plan nailed down I read something else on this forum and decide I have to do yet MORE reseach. Hence this post. I'd like to run my ideas by you all and every/anyone feel free to jump in and help!

First, as stated I am 45. I do not have bad skin (i.e. acne, oily, dry, etc.). I don't, nor have I ever smoked. I have freckles and normal skin. I grew up in Texas with a swimming pool and got a LOT of sunburns back-in-the-day. This past year I have noticed 2 things: 1. I'm getting what I call the Murphy Brown neck (Candice Burgen and the excess skin on neck syndrome). And 2. Gravity is doing it's job. I see an 'all-over' facial sag and a change in the 'feel' of my skin.

So after reading this thread I have learned that I can keep the wrinkles at bay by using Retin A. Here's what I "THINK" I should do.

1. Wash face with a papaya based facial soap. Apply a moisurizer (type yet TBD). Wait one hour.

2. Introduce Retin A before bed at the .025% applying every 3rd day, for 2 weeks. Decreasing it until I'm using daily. Then move up to .05% using the same step down system as for .025%. Followed by .10% where I will remain thereafter.

2. In the am. wash face, apply sunscreen (best type, European brands with SPF50+/SPP 35+ (?) Then apply makeup if desired.

Repeat.

I have 2 questions:
1. Does anyone know how long you can/should use Retin A? Should there be a break or is this a continue until you die (or something better comes along) system?

2. During research MANY people keep referring to Vitamin C. What benefits does it offer? What form of C are we talking about? And where does it fit in in a skincare regime?

I know this is long~SORRY. But thanx for your time!

Robin

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: vitamin C: L asorbic acid is the most researched form. Vitamin C is an anti-oxidant that will help fight free radicals which can damage and age the skin. With continual use of stable topical vitamin C your skin will brighten, even out, fine lines diminish. You should use it daily under your sunscreen (there is some unverified evidence that sunscreen itself including zinc oxide can cause some free radical damage. So, to neutralize that, use a stable vitamin C serum daily). There are many threads on here where you can learn to make your own. I have used and liked Skinceuticals, Obagi, Cell-Ex C and Professional Solutions. These are just the ones I've used. There are many many more that are probably just as good...or better. Just make sure to toss it once it turns yellow or orange. That means it's oxidized and most likely no good anymore.
Don't use Retin-A so can't help you there, but I'm a big believer in facial exercise and massage. Also, the microfiber cloths from NCN are GREAT for gentle exfoliation!!! You skin looks like you've just had microdermabrasion or something! Just don't over-do it. Some people can use it nightly, some can't.
Hope this helps somewhat...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi blueskies2fly and welcome to the site! Tigerlily is right, words of wisdom, words to live by; however you may want to read the threads in anti-aging. The Stevia is a good one!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Welcome. Lot's of good info. on tretinoin and vitamin C serum on this thread.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/skin-lig...ow-thread.html
I also believe you should look into facial exercises."Ageless if we dare" is what I would recommend. Get a microfiber cloth also.
Why are you applying a moisturizer before retin-a? (tretinoin)
Is this to buffer it? Most apply some kind of moisturizer around an hour after tretinoin. Some around 30 minutes later to buffer it. And then some combine both at the same time to buffer it. And there are others that believe you should not apply a moisturizer afterwards cause it might interfere with the actions of the product.

Continue to use tretinoin forever. Even after death.

The .05% strength is the highest strength you really need. The .01% is generally used for acne. No more benefit will be gained from this strength over the .05%

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Just to add my 2 Euros:

I use Retin-A Micro only 2 or 3 times a week since even it is very irritating for me. Some ppl are going to a 6 week on/6 week off acids routine to keep the skin responsive.

On the nights I don't use RAM I use EMULator Oil by Skinactives.

I use DIY Vit C serum every morning after cleansing with Jan Marini BioGlycolic Cleanser. THIS is the recipe I use.

I use LaRoche-Posay Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Lotion over my Vit C serum and then mix my Graftobian foundation with Xtend-life moisturizer and apply.La Roche Posay Anthelios 60 Melt In Sunscreen Lotion Reviews at SkinStore.com

At night I cleanse with BioNova Bio1 ACT cleanser. It melts everything off even SS and makeup but doesn't strip the oils or leave my skin tight.
HTH

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just lost my entire reply comment here. I took too long and I guess the forum logged me off

Thanks for all you who read my book! And taking the time to reply. lol

Periwinkle: I referred to a post you submitted on the anti-aging/retinoid thread: skinacea com/retinoids/useright. URL in Use Retinoids the Right Way. *I stand corrected on the moisturizer. It says to apply it 1 hr. after applying the retin A. Because if you apply before you will diminish the skins ability to absorb the retinoid rendering it less effective.

Tigerlilly~Thanx SO much for the in-depth info on C. I think I will wait on the Vitamin C. Does it count that I take a daily multi-vitamin which, obviously, contains C? Or is that dose way too low to do much good?

Also, the article (from the link above) says that exfoliants, including the exfoliating cloth, is not recommended, as Retin A is in-and-of-itself an exfoliant working from the inside-out.

So the last 2 pieces of the puzzle are the moisturizer and sunscreen. I believe it was LightNLift (?) that said he used a European sunscreen called Vichy Ultra Fluid. However, upon researching it I found it costs $30.00 for 2 oz. ! NOT in my budget.

To be honest, I don't want to become so entirely obsessed with my looks. I just want a simple, easy to follow regimen that I can afford.

P.S. I'm also the guinea pig in my relationship. If my regime proves to show results my boyfriend would also like to start. So, I'm feeling responsible for getting it right.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes there's no turning back now. Your computer is calling you. "Must see what's being said at skincaretalk.com".......welcome to your new addiction.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
It is beyond a 12 step program for me, fawnie is one of the luckier ones on the forum-

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by anamaria

To me Vitamin C didn't work. I made a mask with rosmary and avocado and honey and put it on my face once a week for 45 minutes after exfoliating, and it did wonders. Try it.

What brand of vitamin C did you use and for how long did you use it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG! You all are so funny! 12 STEP PROGRAM! I have ADD and I'm lucky to remember to take my meds daily!

Anamaria, were you using vit c alone or for soothing irritation from Retinoids?

Last night while researching sunscreens I learned a horrible, horrible thing. Turns out 90% of all sunscreens are not only bad for your skin but several internal organs as well! It seems the chemicals that block the sun do not stay in the epidermis, but sink down through the skin and eventually makes its way into filtering organs and urinary tract where they can cause cancers. They suspect it is one of the many causes of breast cancer. That's why sunscreens require you to continually repeat application. As it sinks down the protection breaks down allowing UV rays to penetrate the skin. So it seems the question is which is worse, skin cancer or other forms of cancer?! At this time (in the U.S. anyway. will reserch Europe next) the best type of sunblock contains some or all of the following: titanium dioxide, zinc, avobenzone, and/or Mexoryl. Avoid oxybenzone, which is a known hormone disruptor approved by FDA as an active ingredient in sunscreen.

Does anyone know someone on the forum who is highly knowledgeable about sunscreens?

THANX

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will definitely read that thread fawnie. However, based on current research in the U.S. and abroad, I am becoming extremely alarmed at my findings. A huge grant has just been given to a joint world research project investigating the link between sunscreen nano-particles and Alzheimers/Parkinsons. They say that nano particles of titanium dioxide (and other chemicals) make their way to the brain, by-passing the brain-blood barrier, where they cannot be purged thus causing severe damage over time to the brain. Scary stuff! (see www . nano .org . uk/news/aug2009/latest1942.htm for more on this).

The following is an excerpt from a site called www . skinbiology . com/toxicsunscreens.html

Chemical sunscreens have three primary defects:
1 They are powerful free radical generators. Their free radical generation increases cellular damage and changes that lead to cancer.
Psoralen - such a compound that is used to treat psoriasis increases skin cancer rates 83-fold.

2 They often have strong estrogenic activity. Estrogenic - "Gender Bending" - chemicals interfere with normal sexual development -
Engendering a host of secondary medical problems - see more below.

3 They are synthetic chemicals that are alien to the human body and accumulate in body fat stores.

The human body is well adapted to de-toxify biologicals that it has been exposed to over millions of years. But it often has difficulty removing new and non-biological compounds such DDT, Dioxin, PCBs, and chemical sunscreens.

Chemical Sunscreens Include:

Benzophenones (dixoybenzone, oxybenzone)

PABA and PABA esters (ethyl dihydroxy propyl PAB, glyceryl PABA, p-aminobenzoic acid, padimate-O or octyl dimethyl PABA)

Cinnamates (cinoxate, ethylhexyl p-methoxycinnamate, octocrylene, octyl methoxycinnamate)

Salicylates (ethylhexyl salicylate, homosalate, octyl salicylate)

Digalloyl trioleate

Menthyl anthranilate

*Avobenzone [butyl-methyoxydibenzoylmethane; Parsol 1789] - This is the only chemical sunscreen currently allowed by the European Community. However, its safety is still questionable since it easily penetrates the skin and is a strong free radical generator.

I am not embarassed to say that this info terrifies me. Although I have not used sunscreen religiously some of those same chemicals are in my cosmetic foundation! Which I have been using for years.....:eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanxx Fawnie. I'm sure there are, but the trick is FINDING them AND being able to afford them! lol..........I've been spending way too much time on-line lately. I've already ordered my Retin A and I seriously need to find a safe sunscreen and good moisturizer. (where's the "I'm pulling my hair out" icon?)

Does this forum have moderators? Thanx again.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by anamaria

Retin A should not be used for very long because eventually it'll make your skin paper thin and that's ugly too. I have a friend who used it in high concentration given by her dermatologist for long and now her skin is kind of 'see through', meaning you can see her blood vessels and she can no longer leave the house without make up. There is a new cream that all my friends are raving about, it worked for my stretch marks and is now working for my decollete but apparently it also works for the face as prevention too. it's dr. bellin's cream. i'll try it to , I got the stretch mark cream on the swissskinrepair.com site. Let me know if it works for you too. My friends are totally raving about it

Retin-A (tretinoin) is the #1 anti-aging product one can use after a quality photostable, high spf/ppd sunscreen. Has been for well more than 20 years.
The thinning of the skin is the exfoliation of the top layer of the skin (epidermis). It plumps up the deeper layers of the skin (dermis). Your friend was probably using too strong of a percentage.
I've been using it for well over 10 years with fantastic results (see pic on left
)

Reducing skin wrinkles with tretinoin (Retin A, Renova)

http://www.skincaretalk.com/skin-lig...retinoids.html

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well anamaria I am TOTALLY raving about using Retin-A + my vitamin C serum that I make myself! As dear old Periwinkle says, it thins the outer horny layer of the skin, but actually thickens the underlayer to plump up the skin, so I have no idea why your friend's skin would look paper thin! Maybe she had some other issues going on with her skin and I'm sorry to hear that.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well anamaria I am TOTALLY raving about using Retin-A + my vitamin C serum that I make myself! As dear old Periwinkle says, it thins the outer horny layer of the skin, but actually thickens the underlayer to plump up the skin, so I have no idea why your friend's skin would look paper thin! Maybe she had some other issues going on with her skin and I'm sorry to hear that.
Who you calling old????? That's a recent pic I took. Should have seen me before my skin care addiction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts