Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 47-year-old female with a fair complexiion. I used to have very oily skin, am acne prone and about 10 years ago took accutane (following 3 different antibiotics). Currently, my skin is completely clear except for constant small cystic pimple breakout on my chin. This is so frustrating. After all, I need botox on my forehead for lines. Do I have to have acne too? I read that acne on the chin in women is often hormonal. However, I have no ovaries! I had a hysterectomy and have no little to no testosterone in my system. I do supplement with estrogen. My question is, what to do? Accutane seems like overkill. Proactive dries my skin out and does not prevent new breakout or even treat the current one. Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Retin-A? that might solve the wrinkle/pimple problem. You may have to spot treat with something like LaRoche-Posay Effaclar A.I. I like it because it doesn't overdry the skin around the spot. It has an anti-inflammatory to reduce the redness/swelling too.

Gymrat here is an Accutane veteran like yourself who can better advise you if you PM her!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
881 Posts
uhg my ance problem is on my chin also and i can defiantly believe its hormonal. the past 2 years have been the most stressful and its ben 2 years sense my acne migrated to my chin! :p weird

iv ben using retinol and salicylic acid very routinely and im having great results, my chin is clearing up.. is beautiful =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im right there with ya! Botox for my forhead and then I still get zits! I have found that since I have already been on Accutane , my doctor is hesitant to put me on it again. ( Who cares now, I'm old) They say it causes depression. Well this breaking out crap is depressing me.
About a month ago I started taking Juice Plus. My girlfriend brought it over and asked me to try it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it. But it is clearing my hormonal acne. Of course I just started my period and I have a few breakouts. So you could try some vitamins or something. I think unless you have a serious illness, general practice doctors just don't care enough. And hormones fluctuate so much I think its hard to pinpoint the exact problem. I believe my acne problem stems from not only hormones, but some kind of inflamation that is going on. That is why the Juice Plus is working for me. It must be calming something down inside me. YOU really have to listen to your body and find out what it needs. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all who have replied. I saw a dermatologist and he put me on a low dose of Keflex. he says that if this does not help we will do a low dose of Accutane. So far, there is improvement, but not complete cessation of breakouts.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Thanks to all who have replied. I saw a dermatologist and he put me on a low dose of Keflex. he says that if this does not help we will do a low dose of Accutane. So far, there is improvement, but not complete cessation of breakouts.
I took Acctane at 39 years old, I wish I had taken it sooner. If you are 47and still having acne issues, bite the bullet and get it over with-TAKE ACCUTANE!!! I have been completely acne free for 1 year. Everyone deserves to have a clear complexion-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Accutane is isotretinoin and it is used for moderate to severe acne. It has a long list of side effects and most importantly it is teratogenic. So if you are in reproductive age and sexually active, then you need to be cautious. I believe that's the reason klb374's doctor is hesitate to prescribe her that. Caligirl is 47 years old and had TAHBSO done. So, i think there should be no problem if she wants to start on isotretinoin.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Have you tired hydroxy acids? I suspect you have oily skin, and full strength weekly peel can really help. I use a blend of salicylic and lactic acid and it keeps my pores clear, even in the bleak midwinter. If you have dry skin, lactic or glycolic might even be better for you. It's an ongoing procedure and has to be kept up with a peel once or ever other week, but it works.

You can also try to eat less processed sugar and fat, and go heavily on the vegetables and vegetable juices.

I also like the kelp jell from skinactives, it has normalized the oil production in my skin, something nothing else have done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bit the bullet and am back on Accutane. Just began 4 days ago. I had been doing 50% glycolic acid peels monthly and all they do is burn the existing acne off. The peels do not prevent new acne from starting. I was taking Keflex but this just did not cut it. It seems stupid to buy so many expensive facial products to enhance the look of your complexion and get rid of age spots when you can't eliminate breakouts. So here I am. Will keep folks posted. I am on the lowest dose of Accutane (20 mg twice daily). The dermotoligist also said that, with adult acne, there should be no use of harsh facial products such as Proactive or salynic acid. He said that it is a completely different situation than having acne when you are 25. I guess that makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts