Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys from my experience with HQ i've learned a few things and I just thought I should share them with yuall:

1) Dry skin = No Results - you must maintain a supple "pinchable" skin texture while on this regime. In dry skin your body is basically trying to heal itself from damage on the skin surface so the pores are closed and can't absorb all the HQ you put on it. The major drying problem is from the use of Retin-A. DO NOT use any alcohol astringents when on this regime. So to sum it up supple skin = better results. Dry skin eventually darkens from formation of scar tissue so keep that in mind.

2) Hydroquinone - use creams with creams gels with gels whenever mixing HQ with anything. The "Piling Effect" that LNL described reduces effectiveness of your products.

3) Damaged Skin = Bad thing - if during your regime your skin has become damaged (indicated by redness of skin and tenderness and high irritability) DISCONTINUE the use of HQ/RA until it has gotten time to heal. Use something like Vit E Oil or Vaseline Intensive care until symptoms fade. Continued use of HQ/RA on damaged skin will prove fruitless as well as it may cause permanent damage.

4) Sun Exposure - Obviously ALWAYS use strong SPF sunscreen of 75+.

5) Do not Overwash - Sometimes you might feel that for some reason that the more you wash your face the more HQ would be absorbed. This is oppositely true. When you wash your face, alot of essential oils are lost and your skin struggles to maintain a proper pH (acidity) balance. When this happens the addition of HQ makes it worse as HQ is slightly acidic (ketone group). So your body works in opposition to the HQ. Thereby ultimately wasting your HQ and throwing your cash in the trash.

Well thats it, I hope this helps someone. Happy lightening!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Okay guys from my experience with HQ i've learned a few things and I just thought I should share them with yuall:

1) Dry skin = No Results - you must maintain a supple "pinchable" skin texture while on this regime. In dry skin your body is basically trying to heal itself from damage on the skin surface so the pores are closed and can't absorb all the HQ you put on it. The major drying problem is from the use of Retin-A. DO NOT use any alcohol astringents when on this regime. So to sum it up supple skin = better results. Dry skin eventually darkens from formation of scar tissue so keep that in mind.

2) Hydroquinone - use creams with creams gels with gels whenever mixing HQ with anything. The "Piling Effect" that LNL described reduces effectiveness of your products.

3) Damaged Skin = Bad thing - if during your regime your skin has become damaged (indicated by redness of skin and tenderness and high irritability) DISCONTINUE the use of HQ/RA until it has gotten time to heal. Use something like Vit E Oil or Vaseline Intensive care until symptoms fade. Continued use of HQ/RA on damaged skin will prove fruitless as well as it may cause permanent damage.

4) Sun Exposure - Obviously ALWAYS use strong SPF sunscreen of 75+.

5) Do not Overwash - Sometimes you might feel that for some reason that the more you wash your face the more HQ would be absorbed. This is oppositely true. When you wash your face, alot of essential oils are lost and your skin struggles to maintain a proper pH (acidity) balance. When this happens the addition of HQ makes it worse as HQ is slightly acidic (ketone group). So your body works in opposition to the HQ. Thereby ultimately wasting your HQ and throwing your cash in the trash.

Well thats it, I hope this helps someone. Happy lightening!
Thank you for the post. I am still trying to understand how i can make the application process more beneficial...so, if i need to have supple skin ...when do i moisturize?

·
Registered
258 Posts
i agree very informative , point number 5 is very intresting i didnt know that, i wash my face like athousand times a day, now i will def cut it down a bit

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That's a really good post Reyaz, thanks

It's funny you should post it though when this particular topic is on my mind today. So, here's my dilemma. If I don't really thoroughly cleanse each morning, my face is full of flakes and just feels really disgusting. So, I cleanse probably too thoroughly, and I get the flakies off and my face looks somewhat normal and my makeup looks nice, but it stings a fair bit and looks pink all day. I have only been using Retin-A every second or third night trying to ease into it, but still have this problem. I really need to lighten my face, not make it worse with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, etc. So, what to do??? Any suggestions anyone. I really need a good routine. I want to do this properly. And I am absolutely NOT going to give up!

·
Registered
258 Posts
ok karenannev, invest in a facial sauna. i recently purchase one after the whole stiuation i had with ra/hq, and its def peeling the dead skin on my face the steam really gets the dead skin to come off, i cant tell you how much its helped me, following using the sauna use a rotary facial brush w/ your favorite cleaser i use a hypoallergenic cleaser because my face is sensitive and turns red very easily, then wash your face with cold water to close ur pores. i think maybe you should give the retin a break for now if your not willing to do that, get a lower percentage of retin a, the one ur using may be too strong for you, ne who good luck!!!

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
That's a really good post Reyaz, thanks

It's funny you should post it though when this particular topic is on my mind today. So, here's my dilemma. If I don't really thoroughly cleanse each morning, my face is full of flakes and just feels really disgusting. So, I cleanse probably too thoroughly, and I get the flakies off and my face looks somewhat normal and my makeup looks nice, but it stings a fair bit and looks pink all day. I have only been using Retin-A every second or third night trying to ease into it, but still have this problem. I really need to lighten my face, not make it worse with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, etc. So, what to do??? Any suggestions anyone. I really need a good routine. I want to do this properly. And I am absolutely NOT going to give up!
What % of RA are you using? Maybe try buffering it with a little lotion until your skin gets used to it. Then go full force with it. Using it every couple nights is good, but maybe try using it every night with a little lotion.

For the flakes, try using a exfoliating cloth, but use it gently. You don't want to rub too hard and irritate your skin even more. I use the cloth from NCN.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thank you so much Reyaz01, I enjoyed reading your post as it is quite informative. What moisturizer lotion do you think is best to use, like which brands?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks guys
. I'm using 0.05% Retin A mixed with HQ every two or three nights, then every other night just HQ on it's own. And HQ by itself during the day (with a good sunblock of course). I'm just really scared I've done some damage today, because when I washed it this morning at first it felt really smooth, and then it started to feel like sandpaper all of a sudden. It felt pretty scary actually. My biggest fear at the moment is that I've overwashed it and may have caused some post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I'm so keen to see some progress. It just feels like I've got this angry irritated face, which looks so far from the pale face I want so much. Anyway, thanks for listening and to both of you for your advice. I will try both of your suggestions.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys
. I'm using 0.05% Retin A mixed with HQ every two or three nights, then every other night just HQ on it's own. And HQ by itself during the day (with a good sunblock of course). I'm just really scared I've done some damage today, because when I washed it this morning at first it felt really smooth, and then it started to feel like sandpaper all of a sudden. It felt pretty scary actually. My biggest fear at the moment is that I've overwashed it and may have caused some post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I'm so keen to see some progress. It just feels like I've got this angry irritated face, which looks so far from the pale face I want so much. Anyway, thanks for listening and to both of you for your advice. I will try both of your suggestions.
OK karaenannev, don't worry its a bit too early for any damage like that to occur. But its good that you're checking in. I think you should give Retin-A a break for a few days. Your skin needs time to recover from all the washing etc. What I would advise, is to use some sort of Intense Moisturizer. I use Vasilene Intense Skin Care Moisturizer with Vit E. You could use anything that is prescribed for "Healing Dry Skin" some brands that come to mind are Ponds, Vasilene, Aveeno, to name a few. Look for something with Vit. E oil or Cocoa Butter. Either will sooth the dryness as well as restore natural pH balance on your skin surface. I would also promote the development of new skin under that flaky skin, which in turn would come off even quicker. That "sandpaper" thing isn't good. When you start back using Retin-A, make sure that you buffer it a little as some suggested earlier. You can buffer it with a little of your Healing Moisturizer. Use a pea sized amount of both RA/Moisturizer and this should quickly heal your skin and you'll really be amazed at what your skin looks like after using the moisturizer. Looks lighter and healthier than before definitely.

@everyone else, thanks for reading, making Moisturizing a part of your daily regime is important. If you apply HQ/RA twice a day consider after the morning application moisturize at about lunch time (when my skin starts to feel really dry). If you wear makeup and that's not an option, then wait till you get home and apply the HQ/RA (wash your face) in the evening then wait about an hour and apply then apply the moisturizer. Then right before you go to bed, put on a little again. DO NOT WASH YOUR FACE before you put on the moisturizer before you go to bed, just put it on else you'll be defeating the purpose.
Keep doing this and you wont ever have to worry about drying out etc, and your skin will remain supple and your results will definitely come quicker. Doing this also prevents the "bleached look" that alot of people experience when lightening. The bleached look results from the dry skin surface.

Well thanks for reading, good luck everyone! We all must support eachother! Btw (sorry for the long post) my results are continuing along fine, I dont use RA right now since I'm back in school and the peeling is kind of hard to deal with. So i just use HQ, results will be a little slower but they will come

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
How the hell did I miss such a great thread? Where have I been? There's so much in here in all your great posts, I'll have to reread it all. Serves me right for missing it in the 1st place! heehee.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Reyaz, thank you SO much for taking the time and effort to give me such fantastic advice! I feel a lot less scared this morning after reading it. What on earth would we do without this forum!
OK, I WILL go out and get a good moisturiser. OR, could I just use my Meladerm? (I still have two full bottles left I was going to use on my arms.) It is very moisturising. I mean could I put on my RA/HQ and an hour later put on Meladerm? Would waiting an hour stop any buffering of the HQ? That's always my fear with adding moisturiser, that it would buffer the HQ. Buffering the RA I don't mind at all but the HQ, I worry about. I even worry if my sunblock in the day is buffering my HQ. Hopefully not. I want results sooooo badly! I really hate my face at this point. Anyway thanks again. You are the best

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
How the hell did I miss such a great thread? Where have I been? There's so much in here in all your great posts, I'll have to reread it all. Serves me right for missing it in the 1st place! heehee.
Yes Ondine! Where have you been?? We need you here!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reyaz, thank you SO much for taking the time and effort to give me such fantastic advice! I feel a lot less scared this morning after reading it. What on earth would we do without this forum!
OK, I WILL go out and get a good moisturiser. OR, could I just use my Meladerm? (I still have two full bottles left I was going to use on my arms.) It is very moisturising. I mean could I put on my RA/HQ and an hour later put on Meladerm? Would waiting an hour stop any buffering of the HQ? That's always my fear with adding moisturiser, that it would buffer the HQ. Buffering the RA I don't mind at all but the HQ, I worry about. I even worry if my sunblock in the day is buffering my HQ. Hopefully not. I want results sooooo badly! I really hate my face at this point. Anyway thanks again. You are the best
No problem. De nada
As for the HQ buffering, yes putting on the moisturizer (im afraid you'll need something a bit stronger than Meladerm, any drugstore should have some dry skin intensive care with vit E or cocoa/shea butter) BEFORE you put on the HQ/RA will buffer both. However, putting it on after an hour or so won't have much effect, in terms of buffering. This is because your skin would have absorbed it already. By the way, do you mix the creams? If you do, then this method would work. If you alternate then you'll have the RA first along with the moisturizer. Then afterwards apply your HQ in about an 1 hour. Again, any buffering would be minimal. Its worth the results though I promise. In about a week you will be seeing a much bigger difference than with HQ/RA alone.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
No problem. De nada
As for the HQ buffering, yes putting on the moisturizer (im afraid you'll need something a bit stronger than Meladerm, any drugstore should have some dry skin intensive care with vit E or cocoa/shea butter) BEFORE you put on the HQ/RA will buffer both. However, putting it on after an hour or so won't have much effect, in terms of buffering. This is because your skin would have absorbed it already. By the way, do you mix the creams? If you do, then this method would work. If you alternate then you'll have the RA first along with the moisturizer. Then afterwards apply your HQ in about an 1 hour. Again, any buffering would be minimal. Its worth the results though I promise. In about a week you will be seeing a much bigger difference than with HQ/RA alone.
Ok, so im understanding... out the shower.. dry skin off... put on a buffer moisturizer... and then the HQ/RA?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks Reyaz, I do mix my creams together. Oh the thought of seeing a difference is so exciting. I hope it will work for me. OK, some good moisturiser!!! Thanks again

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I ALWAYS wait 20 mins between drying off & applying RA. Don't want to risk irritating myself. Moist skin will absorb it too quickly. With HQ, this is good BUT with RA, it is not.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
BUMP: This is another thread that will help our newbies who are embarking on the skin lightening journey. Always remember, dry skin does not give good results so use a good moisturizer or a SUNBLOCK with moisturizer during the day along with your HQ to counter the drying effects of nightly retin-A usage. If you feel that your skin is too red, tender and such from Retin-A usage, DO NOT, and I repeat DO not continue to use it every night, let your skin rest for a couple days before it goes back to normal and dont use scrubs to get rid of the flakes in the morning, you dont want ur skin to be extremely sensitive and reactive.

Quick TIP: this is how you can tell if the redness from the Retin-A is normal and that you should keep going regularly or if you should stop for a few days and then apply it every other night or every third night. If you touch your red skin with your fingertip and it turns white upon contact then thats a burn and you should stop using it till it heals. If it doesnt turn white when you touch the red skin then its normal redness and your skin is just adjusting to it, resume with Retin-A.

Also, you guys can definetely take breaks from the Retin-A like 2-3 days to a week or so but DO NOT stop using Retin-A for a long period of time like months and months. Because :
1. this product is for people who are serious about seeing changes in the health of their skin and it works slowly but steadily and optimal effects are seen at 3 months to a year. Most people just stop using it at the first sign of irritation; irritation is how it works, its called the purging state where the skin is being reconstructed, underground acne/previous hyperpigmentation/sundamage is being brought to the surface so that it can be eradicated and slouched off. Stick through this as it lasts anywhere from a month to two, dont feel down, always remain CONFIDENT that you will have results b/c this is not one of those products that are based on hope, it actually yields results.
2. Retin-A does not work on the skin the same way if you take long breaks with it, like if you stop for months and months im talking like 3 months to a year and the go back on it. Its one of those things.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts