Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I need some more advice. I was telling Fawnie that I think I should give some retin or Taz a try. I have been using the GC6 for almost 5 weeks. I mentioned before, I have not experienced any burning, flaking redness or even any real results. I can only attribute this to my sundamaged and very oily skin.

My question is, what should I start out with and what strength. Since shipping is expensive (ADC) I figure I should buy a few tubes. I was reading on other posts, that some (like Fawnie using taz) buffer it with a moisturizer, others use different strengths (retin) for different parts of their face etc.

Since my skin is so oily, I think I would probable benefit from the gel as opposed to the cream, could you guys help me out, as far as which strength I should start out with and if the gel is better than cream for oily skin. I think I may do better with something stronger than green cream. I just think my skin is more sum damaged than I had realized and I need help.

Thanks guys

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mom,
You could try different strengths of RA, but Peri said the RA gel from ADC is REALLY STRONG and he burned himself with it. I would get taz, personally and get the highest strength 0.1% and experiment mixing it with different moisturizers. If your skin is that tough you might not need to buffer it, but be careful with it! I burned myself to the point of blistering when using it straight out of the tube. You don't want to dry your skin out too much and leave it dehydrated, so buffering it even a little bit might not be such a bad thing.

Why not get a few tubes of tazarotene 0.1% and a few tubes of retin-a 0.05% gel. Then you can switch around. The way i understand it is, there are different retinoid receptors in the skin and different products target different receptors.

That's just what I think, but my skin is normal and sensitive. Hope this helps a little!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Yes, I agree with Fawnie. If you are going to do it, go for the Taz. You can tame it as fawnie does.

If you have a Dr that you go to, you could always ask them for samples of Retin-A. That would save on the shipping. I get all of my topicals from my Dr. I took quite a few samples before I got the actual Rx. I use both .1% and .04% of the Retin-A. The .1% does give me a little kick, far more than the .04%.

I have combo skin. That really sucks about the GC. I am sorry to hear that-

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tazarotene comes in cream or gel...the dose Fawnie recommends is in cream form.... you think thats ok for my oily skin??

sorry for so many questions.......maybe if I had taken an interest in my skin earlier in my life I would be more educated. Not to put blame on anyone, but when I was growing up no-one ever told me how to take care of my skin.....shame on me for not realizing the importance on my own....I make sure to pass everything I am learning on to my 18 yr old daughter......I want her to have the knowledge I did not.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Mom- I would say gel form would be better for oily skin. But I haven't used the Taz yet. I have RA and one is gel form one is cream. The stronger is the cream.

And I am with you, no one ever told me to take care of my skin either. My mom would say "oh you are going to regret that sunbathing someday". But never explained to me WHY!! Now I know!! My mom still uses Oil of Olay-
can't get her to switch for NOTHING!! I also preach to my boys one 21 and one 17- they both use nice products on their skin, thanks to me, but I also preach the "wear sunscreen"!! My oldest spends alot of time river rafting, so I am always mailing him sunscreen!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the Taz, I am sure Fawnie will be a better source for that info-

But how are you liking your Vit C serum?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been using it faithfully....hopefully I will see some results from that...I just got a huge pimple on my chin....uuuurrrrrggggg...cant seem to get rid of this damn "adult acne" I never suffered with acne as a teen, and I get more pimples than my daughter

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Mom you might be getting a little purging from the C serum. Keep with it though, this is a good thing. I totally understand the adult acne!! It is so discouraging-
It might be a good reason though to get in with your Dr or Derm for a Rx of Retin-A or Taz. They will give you that quicker than you know for adult acne. Well.........at least they do over here in CA.
If you have insurance I would go for it.

Keep with the C. Also, just read a post of peri's saying applying it twice a day is ok. Maybe try this-?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently alot of people have been using it 2x a day..(the serum) I cannot remember what other skin forum I was on, but I was browsing through the posts on this subject and many are using it 2x a day....I have to go read Peri's....I want to go to my Dr. but it's so hard to get an appt. he is not in everyday, and when he is, is office is so crowded. You wait at least 2hrs or so.

That is the only reason why I was considering ordering from ADC. I used to work in the hospital and knew so many Drs. who would of written it for me, but I have been out of work since June (lay off) either way I am def going to give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts