Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm musing about how it will feel. If you open the rear of your jaw so that your back teeth are open but your front are relaxed you get quite a strong pull in the jaw. In honesty its something I should imagine most people could do with facial exercises but I don't really know enough to comment in a concise way. I am always up for an experiment so I'll give it a go. I want to go for the least elaborate package they do as I think all the photos and micro imaging plus multiple return visits are total overkill for them to make money and monitor your progress for their own interests.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You know, you got to give a chance. Its not something that I think is a one visit only - as my friends who had it done, mentioend when they went back the device was adjusted for them. Also I know one or two lost it, and they kindly replaced it free of charge - which isn't something most places do. Its not just about the back jaw, its about the alignment of the teeth from my understanding and the gap between them. I think the photos aren't microimaging, but you notice when you go in, he does have a studio there, and I wish that he would stick the presentation he has on in the room on the net, as that was very impressive and showed some sort of photos which were computer but kind of showed changes underneath the skin. The device also takes a while getting used to. One of my pals said she was trying to sleep with it in as advised and often woke to find it out on her pillow etc.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'll pop in for adjustments and whatever is necessary for maintenance but close up photos of my skin are and lending my image for advertising are something I'm just not interested in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sure, I think the follow up visits though are not just money making techniques, but making sure the guard is correct height etc. Nick seems really nice to me and I can't seem him trying to force anyone to do anything they don't want, even with photos. From memory he takes photos for people's own benefit to show them their progress and I was pretty impressed with my friends photos that she showed me, but she did say that he asked and she said she would prefer not to have her photos used and he complied with that (pus she's married to a savy litigator so if he did I suspect he would be in court in a flash).
I'll pop in for adjustments and whatever is necessary for maintenance but close up photos of my skin are and lending my image for advertising are something I'm just not interested in.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I take it Nick is the originator of the oralift? I am going to Dr Sheena's Dental Studios in London to have mine fitted. Hopefully they will be as good

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes Nick is the creator of it, and a superb dentist. Maybe thats the confusion. This Dr Sheena may be pressuring you into the photos stuff - as I know for a fact Nick wouldn't try that sort of thing. I'm sure Dr Sheena would have had some professional training from him if they're selling the device.
I take it Nick is the originator of the oralift? I am going to Dr Sheena's Dental Studios in London to have mine fitted. Hopefully they will be as good

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Do you think I'll get a good service from a different dentist? He should be fully trained I imagine and I think its quite big news in his surgery as the receptionist I spoke to told me she is getting one soon too. It was more of a cosmetic dentist than your normal run of the mill one.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I imagine if this person is offering the device, they must have been trained by them so you'll be fine. If he's a cosmetic dentist thats even moreso a good guy to go to offering this device. Will be interested in your views!
Do you think I'll get a good service from a different dentist? He should be fully trained I imagine and I think its quite big news in his surgery as the receptionist I spoke to told me she is getting one soon too. It was more of a cosmetic dentist than your normal run of the mill one.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Second comment down states that this devise exercises the same facial muscles stimulated when giving a man head.
Haha! That is funny. I plan on doing both, so best of both worlds.
Damn, now my husband has looked over my shoulder and seen this.
He's going to use this against me. "Fancy some anti aging facial exercises tonight babe?"

I saw Dr. Shena today with an open albeit somewhat cynical mind. I have to say, I really liked him, and I can be a really tough nut to crack. Until my chat with him I really neglected to realise how cosmetic dentistry could address anti ageing issues. He showed me a great deal of before and after photos of his patients of his (not all oralift patients either) on which you could note how jaw position etc. really effected the musculature of the face. One of my problems is bruxism (grinding) which loads the jaw and the muscles and, from an anti ageing (and dental health) stand point, is not my friend at all. He went through some great exercises with me to help alleviate the tension from my jaw at bed time. He also showed me some facial massage techniques to stimulate the skin's collagen production. He even highlighted the usefulness of certain make up techniques and touched on various other points I was not expecting this at all! I found this consultation incredible helpful and interesting and am very glad I chose this dentist. From my research I know that Dr. Shena was on the ball when it came to anti ageing and it made me all the more interested in what he could offer me.

He was honest and said that, at this stage, Oralift would make very little difference to me as I was still young and there were little age related changes in my face. As I am all about prevention rather than cure I decided to go ahead with the Oralift anyway, especially since it would play a part in relieving some of my jaw tension issues. When I requested that he be modest with the photos, he was, we took a front on short and one of each side of my face in profile for our records.

I came away with an Oralift (two mouth pieces came with the kit, a starter one and a more advanced version) plus a tooth whitening light kit. I am considering going to Dr. Shena in the future for my normal dental and hygienist procedures as I'm not a fan of my regular dentist at all. My next appointment with Dr. Shena is in a couple of weeks to check how I'm going with the Oralift. I'm going to get him to fix the work my regular dentist did fixing some chips in my front teeth (he rebuilt the enamel badly.) After that it will be 4 months until our next consultation which is fair enough.

I will let you guys know how I get on with my Oralift, though I am not the best guinea pig really. If it helps me with anti aging prevention and my bruxism I'll be very happy.

·
Registered
832 Posts
How much are you paying for your devices. I know when I saw Nick originally it was like £2,500 plus, but on that link that Maatra posted there was mention of £500.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
For my package it was £575. This is very expensive for what it is (essentially a mouth piece which is heated in warm water which you bite upon in order to personalise it with an impression of your own teeth.) I used it for the first time today, I definitely felt my jaw learning to relax itself. One thing I do very much like about this method is that there is no creasing and tugging on the skin. I am very interested in the notion of facial exercise but the jury seems to be torn with some experts saying that repetitive movements which stretch the skin can actually cause wrinkling. Its a real bugger that experts can't agree on these things. To be on the safe side, I prefer facial exercises which involve more subtle movements so that no deep lines or creases form. The Oralift is certainly a good way to do that.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
While its quite possible that I am seeing things, I could swear that my naso labial folds are less pronounced after I wear the device and my face appears somewhat refreshed and lifted. Dr. Shena mentioned he had one patient who wore the oralift prior to going out as she felt it gave her a mini lift. The device is not meant to be a miracle cure or work overnight but considering how fussy and aware of my flaws I am, I am pretty certain that this device is doing "something" for me, which does make an immediate difference. After I wear it my jaw has that super featherlight feel that you have after a massage.

I think at the end of it I will be happy that I allowed the Dr to take photos of me so I have something to compare to.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Now thats great news. You know my friend who had it done said similar things, but I could see the difference myself in her face and how she spoke. She said that she had been given little exercises to do with it, and said she was struggling talking with it. I know at one point she was advised to wear it at night in sleep, and she always woke and had accidentally spat it out during sleep! ha ha. I'm sooo tempted and am saving big time now for one!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm wearing it as I type!
I am now one week into it and slowly building up as per the program, today was two 45 minute sessions. My Flex Effect kit sat in my drawer for months on end untouched, I'm terrible at getting round to things and get daunted when certain processes take organisation and call for period of time set aside. However, with the Oralift there is no excuse and I have been sticking religiously to the program which is a dream come true for me! I feel very proactive for a change!

I am undeniably noticing a positive effect when I use it. I notice a very pleasant relaxed feeling in my jaw post use and better jaw position which I find myself adopting more and more when I'm not using the device. I hadn't realised that I was subconsciously clenching and grinding during the day and I am now VERY aware and can catch myself doing it and correct it. Plus I have noticed a general uplifted, plumped feeling and look in my face. Its subtle, but undeniable. When I wear it, it is comfortable but I feel my muscles working and elongating without a shadow of a doubt. I am rather partial to this little device!

I have read that people use it in their sleep but I don't understand how that would work seeing as a great deal of its power comes from the fact you keep your lips closed when you use it. I dozed off with it in earlier and was awoken by my lips parting. That would be a question for Dr Shena!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm glad you're liking the Oralift, Krystalskin! I hope you will continue to post your experience with it. I often have a tight jaw, especially when I wake up so I believe that I clench my jaw (though not grinding my teeth) in my sleep. Do you think one of those mouth guards that you heat and customize would work as well or is there something special about the Oralift? I seem to remember some type of "block" in the bite or something...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Hi plantlady. A dentist will be able to tell you if you grind, so many people do. I could swear that I didn't but according to dentists my teeth tell a different story! Apparently the jaw gets loaded with tension throughout the day, a great deal of it, and this causes clenching and grinding. Even my regular dentist told me to hold a hot wash cloth on my jaw at night before bed to try and relax it so I know its a problem I have.

Something interesting that Dr Shena pointed out is that a youthful face is more of an upside down triangle shape and, as we age, the face assumes more of a triangular shape. Apparently a lot of this is due to a loaded jaw which causes clenching/grinding and thusly muscular build up on the lower half of the face. It does make sense to me and Dr Sheena pointed out the start of this on my face at 31. He is right, my face has changed since I was 20, there has been a slight shift in the 'triangle', I can see it in my jaw.

The Oralift is particularly designed and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a mouthguard which did the exact same thing. There are blocks on it which create free space in your mouth. There is a preliminary and an advanced version in the kit which you work towards using eventually. I do feel the Oralift is a lot of money for what it is, essentially a bit of plastic which is fitted in minutes on the day. I suppose a great deal of the price comes from the monopoly they have on it. However, I love it! Its been wonderful for me even at this early stage and I am surprised as I was so cynical. I originally had a mouth piece from my dentist to help me with my grinding at night and it was so tight and uncomfortable as hell. I woke up with it on my pillow every morning and eventually threw it away as I just loathed it. That damn thing cost me £700 so my Oralift is a steal in comparison. Dr Shena was not a great believer in all night mouth guards so, actually, everything has gone perfectly to plan with the Oralift as it has offered me a great solution for my jaw related issues which, TBH, I was not even expecting when I went into his clinic.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts