Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've known a few people personally who took this- I have never taken it. And from online I know a lot who have. It's being pulled???? Accutane Pulled from Market Amid Lawsuits, Increased Generic Competition
Accutane Pulled from Market Amid Lawsuits, Increased Generic Competition
Date Published: Monday, June 29th, 2009
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Accutane is being pulled from the market by its maker, Roche AG. According to the Associated Press, Roche said the decision to withdraw Accutane was made for economic rather than safety reasons. But as anyone who reads this blog known, over the past couple of years, Roche has lost several Accutane lawsuits, and been ordered to pay more than $33 million to people who claim they were injured by the drug.

Approved by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) in 1982, Accutane has been the subject of controversy for years. It first garnered attention in the late eighties for causing severe birth defects. It has also been known to cause psychiatric problems, and has been linked to hundreds of cases of suicide in the United States. Accutane has also been associated with problems of the liver, kidneys, central nervous system, and pancreas, as well as the cardiovascular, musculoskeletal and auto-immune systems.

Most recently, Roche lost several Accutane lawsuits brought by people who claimed the drug caused them to develop inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). In November 2008, a New Jersey jury ordered the company to pay $13 million to three such plaintiffs. The previous April, another New Jersey jury awarded $10.5 million to a woman who blamed the drug for her ulcerative colitis. In May 2007, another New Jersey trial resulted in an award of $2.62 million to a patient who needed to have his colon and most of his rectum removed after taking the drug. In October that same year, a Florida jury awarded $7 million in damages to another Accutane user who developed the IBD.

In announcing its decision to pull Accutane, Roche did cite the high cost of product liability suits – it currently faces 5000 such lawsuits – involving the drug. But according to Bloomberg.com, the company also said a reevaluation of its product line had shown Accutane faced serious competition from generics.

Roche said Accutane will be pulled in the U.S. and 11 other countries. The last date for distribution in the United States was June 25. According to Reuters, Accutane is now no longer available from Roche directly but patients may still be able to get it from pharmacies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ridiculous. Roaccutane is the best thing for severe acne when nothing else will work, I've been on it twice and had minimal side effects.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is some evidence that Accutane is linked to Fibromyalgia. I know they are finding a higher rate of people with the disease who have been on Accutane, and it was one of the things that was brought up in a lawsuit.

I was on Accutane for years and if it contributed at all to the onset of the Fibromyalgia I have experienced I would have much rather had the acne.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was on all sorts of treatmant before I used Roaccutane and nothing worked. Roaccutane is basically a giant miracle drug, I used it for about a year when I was 16-17 and now (several years later) i still have clear skin.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have used Accutane, and it was truly a miracle cure for my cystic acne. It is unfortunate that they have pulled it from the market. For those people where nothing else works for severe acne, Accutane is a life safer.

G

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm on Accutane now and been on it for a couple of weeks. So far its gotten worst but I'm pretty sure it will get better. Its sad that they pulled it away because they have those out their with horrible acne and have really low self esteem...I know because I'm one of them lol..

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
I took Accutane too, thank goodness!! It worked wonders on my skin. I can't tell you how happy I am I took it. If only I would have taken it 20 years ago. My son also took it when he was in high school, and has clear skin to this day-

I know we still have it in my area. I was picking up a Rx yesterday at the pharmacy and the lady in front of me was picking up Accutane.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm on Accutane now and been on it for a couple of weeks. So far its gotten worst but I'm pretty sure it will get better. Its sad that they pulled it away because they have those out their with horrible acne and have really low self esteem...I know because I'm one of them lol..
Try a VI peel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is some evidence that Accutane is linked to Fibromyalgia. I know they are finding a higher rate of people with the disease who have been on Accutane, and it was one of the things that was brought up in a lawsuit.

I was on Accutane for years and if it contributed at all to the onset of the Fibromyalgia I have experienced I would have much rather had the acne.
Oh my goodness! that is the first I've heard of that. But I was on Accutane and I did develope fibromyalgia. Never, never in a million years would have put that together. It makes sense now. I'm going to have to research this. Of course when I went on the accutane about 19 to 20 ( Im guessing) years ago I thought it was great. Some lip drying etc Nothing too bad to handle. got rid of my cystic acne and then my acne returned about 10 years ago ( but never the cystic) Jeeze, it's always something.
remember all the blood tests you had to take once a month while you were on it? I think we were being experimented on.

·
Registered
679 Posts
the generics are still on the market and being used still for bad skin. now you have to do an I Pledge thing where the doctor has to call the company for a number, the patient has to use this number and then the pharmacy has to call to verify everyone called before it can be dispensed. it can cause serious side effects but it is still the best for really bad acne.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Yep I had to do the I Pledge-it wasn't a problem at all. You just answer a few questions every month online and then go pick up your prescription.

When you have acne bad enough, you will take whatever they give you to try and have a clear complexion. For me, it was Accutane-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep I had to do the I Pledge-it wasn't a problem at all. You just answer a few questions every month online and then go pick up your prescription.

When you have acne bad enough, you will take whatever they give you to try and have a clear complexion. For me, it was Accutane-
Yes, when I was giving facials, I would see clients with such severe acne. Accutane was really the only choice. It is amazing. Skin goes from cystic to clear and smooth in a few months.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
i used to be on it for a while but had to stop due to it causeing magjor back pain
Yes, it caused me a little lower back trouble. I took it at 39 years old, but even with the few side effects I had, it was so WORTH it in the end.

If you still have acne, maybe try it in a lower dose. I started with 20 mgs a day and gradually moved up from there. As I increased my mgs is when my back started to give me problems.

There are so many things you can try for acne before you have to resort to Accutane. Keep trying until you find what works for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as i know they might have pulled it only in the USA cuz there was a high suicide rate in America. I am currently in Israel and i took it for 7 months and it was ok. every months i had to go see the doctor and a blood test for my kidneys every month just in case. I dont want to offend anyone but in america there are alot of people who are depressed even before taking accutane so it is not surprising that they have pulled it out of america. I think they are right to do that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just prescribed one of the generics about 4 days ago. This is the only thing that works for painful, cystic acne. Maybe it's hard for those who have not had this type of acne to imagine the emotional fallout of it let along the outright physical discomfort. I have cysts on my chin area and both chewing and talking can be painful.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
I was just prescribed one of the generics about 4 days ago. This is the only thing that works for painful, cystic acne. Maybe it's hard for those who have not had this type of acne to imagine the emotional fallout of it let along the outright physical discomfort. I have cysts on my chin area and both chewing and talking can be painful.
Good for you Califgirl!! Is this your first course of Accutane? I wish you the best of luck. It worked for me and I hope it works for you-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Gymrat. This is my 3rd time around with Accutane. But I am now 48! The two previous times I was, say, around 35. My problems were worse at that time, however, cystic acne is cystic ance. Doesn't matter if the cysts are big or small. There is no topical cure for this. Topicals just lead to pimples on dry skin. Since I have done Accutane before, I am comfortable with it and went in requesting it. The Dr. did make me try Keflex first but that did not work (it was about the only antibiotic I had NOT be on for acne). So I have my fingers crossed. I am only on 20 mg. Hope you have a great holiday & thanks for the encouragement!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts