Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I have been dealing with acne since I'm 11. Now that I'm 17, my face really got worse. I have lots of marks on my face plus I have lots of holes caused by acne on my face. I have tried multiple products such as proactive and the results are all nada. Sometimes I dont even touch my pimple, yet it leaves a huge scar on my face. The only product that helped is Spectro Gel. It helped my skin become less oily. Yet no product helped me get rid of my acne scars on my face and my body (even on my thighs and arms).

Some people even said I looked like this famous basketball player named Demar Derozan (look him up on google) because of my bad acne. I desperately need some help. I even visited a dermatologist and it isn't helping much.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
What has your derm recommended for your acne? And how long have you been using those products?

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
And nothing orally? No antibiotic? If it isn't better with the Differin after 6 months you need to go back to him. Personally, I would try the Differin every night if it were me.

I took just about every antibiotic out there for acne. I have used a load of topicals too.

What are you using for wash your face with and do you use lotion? If so, what kind?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And nothing orally? No antibiotic? If it isn't better with the Differin after 6 months you need to go back to him. Personally, I would try the Differin every night if it were me.

I took just about every antibiotic out there for acne. I have used a load of topicals too.

What are you using for wash your face with and do you use lotion? If so, what kind?
I use spectro Gel as a Cleanser...And the dermatologist recommended me the antobiotics....but since my lever is messed up and i got hepatitis B from my parents at birth, my physician told me not to use them

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
I use spectro Gel as a Cleanser...And the dermatologist recommended me the antobiotics....but since my lever is messed up and i got hepatitis B from my parents at birth, my physician told me not to use them
Definately don't take the antibiotic if your Dr said not too.

Have you ever tried a cleanser with salicylic acid? There are loads out there that you can buy at any drug store. Salicylic acid is great for those with acne prone skin.

Also, have you ever looked on the acne.org board? Not that you are not welcome here, because you totally are. But being that you are young, there are loads of advice and people your age going thru the same problems. You would learn so much going there are reading some of their posts. I did, and I am 40 years old!!
I ended up having to take Accutane, which you could never because of your situation with your liver. But acne.org is such a helpful board for those who are suffering with acne. You are not alone, and there are so many things you can try. You just have to find what works best of you.

Acne.org Message Boards (Powered by Invision Power Board)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi Lal4life, I too had a really aggressive bout with acnee, tried the pills (not good) Poractive( waste of money) but then I noticed wrinkles around my eyes and forhead. So I decided I was stuck with the acnee but maybe could do something about them. I started doing "at home dermabrassions" (from Avon). Well what do ya know My face is now zit free and the dermabrassion seems to have helped lessen some off the scaring! I hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
go to etsy.com and search for a natural product name sulfur acne cream. it works for me. now my cystic acne are gone

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried OBAGI NuDERM? I hear its great on acne, acne marks, and pigmenttation?
I have some scarring too, and just started the kit...
Also, I have used Retina through the years growing up... it HELPED!

ALSO DRINK A LOT OF WATER!

·
Registered
138 Posts
differin? try tazorac or tazarotene (generic). It is more aggressive. Work your way up to every night and even twice a day. I know people will shot me for saying that. get rid of your acne then work on the scars, which the taz should help with. your derm is an idiot.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ancient Egyptians used Sulfur which you can find at Walmart. It comes in a yellow jar. You can also try Benzamycin Gel or Retin-A.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The questions you are asking and the way in which you are trying to help your skin is very common. The problem is that there are 5 kinds of acne and each responds to different methods to help clear it up. Obviously, the stress and potential scarring are the main reasons to combat it. The problem lies in the products you are using, like almost all you see over the counter or on television ( IE Proactive) are selling you the same ingredients that have been around in use since 1980. They are salicylic acid and benzyl peroxide. Just check your labels and you will see I am correct. To stop acne you have to know what is really at the root of it. I write extensively about this on my blog and talk about it on television. I am going to share the common myths about acne here and give you a link to a recent article on the Huffington Post that you will find useful. I recommend you get away from chemical products and use only glycerin based face wash. These drying products may kill some of the bacteria, but they also leave a layer of dried out dead skin cells that trap more oil the bacteria feeds on and block even more pores.

The acne myths are:

1. Myth - Oily skin and hormones cause acne and you need to dry up your skin to clear it up.
Truth - in fact over productive oil glands can contribute to acne but do not cause it. Oily skin is good for you and drying the skin only causes more problems with clogged pores and trapped dirt and bacteria. Hormone levels change throughout a persons life and while they can up oil production they do not cause acne.
2. Myth - What you eat has no impact on your skin.
Truth, Incredibly some dermatologist still tell patients this even though the connection between diet and hydration and the health of the skin has been proven by the medical profession. Further, studies and real life experience has shown a direct connection between the western diet high in sugar, pesticides, and processed food and acne cases where candida albican yeast infection is indicated.
3. Myth - Antibiotics and Accutane are the only way to cure acne
Truth, Antibiotics are not a strong player in the acne game anymore due to their side effects and problems with long term use. Additionally, the theory is that antibiotics target the bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes bacteria) that is responsible for the infected pore. In a majority of cases antibiotics do not clear acne having difficulty reaching the bacteria from internally to externally. Accutane is a powerful drug derived from vitamin a with a host of life altering side effects in some. It can cause birth defects and permanent liver damage. There have been many high profile lawsuits over patient reactions to this drug. Accutane does not claim to nor does it "cure" acne. It can put some severe acne cases "on hold" such as a remission of sorts. In many people the acne returns as problematic or even worse that before.
4. Myth - products like Proactive, ******, and other similar over the counter acne products are leading the new fight against acne and acne cases are on the decrease.
Truth, these types of products, both prepackaged and over the counter, create more problems for acne suffers and acne is actually in truth INCREASING with a 20% increase in reported cases world wide in the past 3 years. Acne is now a very common chronic problem for teens and adults. Adult onset acne has increased ten fold in the last decade sparking a 20 billion dollar consumer marketing frenzy! Unfortunately the truth is that there is nothing new in these products AT ALL! The main ingredients of benzyl peroxide and salicylic acid have been around for over 20 years. These products along with common washes and soaps full of irritating sulfates create over dry skin that is actually more prone to breakouts.
5. Myth - Acne isn't really a big deal and you will grow out of it.
Truth, acne is a very big deal emotionally for those who suffer with it. It causes depression, low self esteem, and can create permanent emotional and physical scarring. People with acne feel like their body is at war with them and in the case of adults with acne the low self esteem and self hatred can be extreme. People with sever acne are at high risk of being depressed and usually have low social interaction. Where acne is concerned the "whole" person needs help and support, not just the disease.
There was a great article on the subject from the Huffington Post this past February - search acne depression.
I hope this is helpful to you and anyone struggling with acne.
Chris Gibson

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys,im new here,im 21 and i hve acnee,pimples issues i also hve scars frm my acnee,i would like to know which of these 3 products is the best:salycid acid,Retin A and Lactid acid?thanks a lot!i'm really desparate

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had problems with acne, scarring and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation for at least ten years and I've tried various things to treat all the problems. I'm yet to find anything to deal with the scarring (mine are mainly pitted and rolling scars) but I've got control of the acne by being extremely desperate and trying the lemon juice approach
which basically means applying lemon juice (neat!) to the affected area. It's worth mentioning that I tried this when I felt that my skin couldn't get any worse so I was fussed if it went wrong as I couldn't see how it could...if that makes sense?! Obviously I have no idea whether I was just lucky with it and I know others have tried it and it hasn't worked, but it completely toned down my acne and the PIH so I'm obviously pleased I did.

I'm now maintaining my skin with the Skinceuticals Blemish + Age Defense range which I've also found really good; mainly the serum but it's ridiculously expensive.

To counteract any dryness from acne treatments I use Eucerin Q10 night cream for sensitive skin; for some reason it doesn't break me out (and I've read the same on quite a few forums) but it is sooooo rich so it's really moisturising yet non-clogging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by Carolhardin

It really seem to be a very bad experience. What I can suggest you is to use Aloe Vera gel. IT is very effective to get cure of this problem. Hopefully this will be effective to you also.

Is Aloe Vera gel for acnes or acne scars?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts