Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complex skin situation.

I took accutane a few years ago, and it was a big mistake. I'm told it dried up my face, so my wrinkling and so forth are all accelerated.

However, about a year ago I began taking adderall. I'm now realizing a connection between adderall and my worsening skin condition.

I am beginning to show rosacea symptoms. I have rosacea in my family, but I never really showed signs of it. Since I am mixed race, and only one side has rosacea, I assumed I was "safe." However, my derm says the accutane drying up my face has unleashed some of those nascent rosacea symptoms that my oils were keeping at by.

My derm didn't mention anything about adderall, but I am realizing that it is also affecting my skin. I know transiently I get flush each dosage, but I think it is also permanently affecting my skin. It is hard to describe.

Does anybody know why adderall exacerbates rosacea?

·
Registered
713 Posts
skintel welcome to SCT, there are many helpful people on this sight with lots of experience. My suggestion would be to talk to your pharmacist and see what S/he has to say or go back to your dermatologist.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, Adderall can induce or aggravate rosacea.

Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant and can make preexisting inflammatory skin conditions worse or, in time, induce such conditions.

As an analogy, when you exercise, your central nervous system is engaged and, in turn, your cardiovascular system. With most people, their faces become pink and/or red. This is a similar response, in the body, when any amphetamine is taken - the central nervous system is stimulated, blood flow increases, skin can become warm or hot.

Not everyone experiences skin inflammation from these types of drugs, but you say rosacea runs in the family, so you are naturally predisposed to rosacea and skin inflammation.

You may want to speak to your doctor about this side effect, if it worsens or becomes too much of an issue for you.

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Adderall works great for those that need it. I did not know Rosacea was a side effect to taking it? I guess you do learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
881 Posts
yes i am doctor fawnie. please take everything i say seriously and in consideration because i am right and everything you read on the internet is correct

·
Registered
881 Posts
ha wow . "Adderall works great for those that need it" says gym rat, the lady who swears her life against marijuana but thinks synthetic drugs (that change the chemicals in your brain and effect you for life) are the choice if "its right for you"

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
ha wow . "Adderall works great for those that need it" says gym rat, the lady who swears her life against marijuana but thinks synthetic drugs (that change the chemicals in your brain and effect you for life) are the choice if "its right for you"
Is adderall illegal?

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
No ratty, it isn't illegal, but it has a high potential for "misuse" since it's speedy.

(If you're innocent enough to ask, you don't misuse it!!!)
Oh, I know its legal- I know plenty of kids who take it. I was making a point-saying it is legal and other drugs of choice are not.

Thanks though for clarifying-

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is quite entertaining. Maybe the synthetic drugs vs marijuana thing should have its own separate place on the boards because for sure, it is a very interesting debate. (I'm not being sarcastic this time, oddly enough)

·
Registered
326 Posts
i was being prescribed adderall for 6 mos and i can vouch that it made my skin horrible my acne flared up horribly nothing would cure it and i was always flushed like i had been on the treadmill granted my dose was to "hiiiiiigh" but i also felt it was giving me freaking hear palpations that was the last straw for me

·
Registered
326 Posts
****heat***** also if your a smoker i suggest stay away from this i was smoking a pack a day#*YE*@(EHH(E!!! yikes...not that i think about it that may have contributed to me quitting smoking i smoked enough for my life time

·
Registered
138 Posts
accutane doesnt cause wrinkles, in fact it helps the skin produce more collagen. Even some ladies over at essential day spa take low does accutane as an anti-age agent

1 - 20 of 22 Posts