Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help diagnose my skin?!

I'm a 39 year old woman, and one side of my face is quite flawless, whilst the other side suffers with acne.

About 5 years ago a small patch developed on the middle of that cheek, of what appeared to be enlarged pores. Over the years the pores all across that cheek have become enlarged, and from time to time they result in spots. Often the spots begin itchy - very like mosquito bites, and they're not the usual teenage 'squeezing' type. They're not so awful that I can't cover them with makeup - but I look pretty awful without it!

I often sleep on that side of my face. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a dietary problem, because no skin care products seem to help.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Only on one side? If it is the side you sleep on, maybe you are having a reaction to your pillow case, detergent, etc. I have no idea why it would only be on one cheek. I am 40 and battled with adult (cystic)acne and eventually had to take Accutane as the last resort. My acne was from my cheeks down. Mostly in the chin area. But never on just one side of my face.

Try getting in to see a Dermatologist if you can.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bacteria can build up on your pillowcase. Try changing it every 3 days or so. Go buy a large amount of cheap pillowcases so that you don't have to wash them all the time. Also, dryer sheets can put a waxy residue on laundry. Take one and rub your fingers on it, it will leave a film. This can clog pores. Try not to use dryer sheets when washing sheets and towels. Also be sure to sanitize your phone often as that can contribute as well.

If you are using makeup to cover up, this could also be the cause. Be sure to make sure the makeup is oil free. There are many ingredients that are comedogenic (pore clogging) that don't seem to be. You can't rely on labels. Do an internet search for "comedogenic ingredients" and you can come up with lists of ingredients to watch out for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great advice Vananners!

I use natural bio-degradable products in my washing. But I wanted to pipe in and say that though I was a huge fan of a particular line/brand of make up for years, I found that in my mid 30's I seemed to develop worse adult acne. A chance conversation with a co-worker (who was half my age even!) who mentioned she got acne with that brand and stopped using it caused me to rethink my foundation choice. I did and it really helped the acne.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Here is my take as I have recently developed this. I have pretty good skin on my face and am also in my 30's. I recently saw what I thought were spots/pimples around my nose. OK fair enough noses are like this. It looked at first like it was just red blemishes that soon turned into more of a whitehead at close inspection. These were concentrated between my eyebrows and down over my nose to one side under my eye. (The right side). I use retin-a so was a bit surprised I would get acne but I also live in a humid climate so thought perhaps all the sunblock and humidity were doing this. I finally tried to put hydrocortisone on it when I began to believe it may be a psoriasis-like condition. Sure enough it cleared. I stopped and it came back.

My thoughts are leaning toward auto-immune or food allergy. It has in fact recurred this morning a bit. I can say that I concluded it was not acne when it did in fact itch when I scratched it by accident. The patches are red and then form small vesicles but like acne not like a maculopapular rash. It is quite interesting as I so recently got this I have not even shared it here as I have only now realised it is an actual issue and not just acne.

I am not sure if you are experiencing the same but any time you get a reaction on one side allergy would be a first guess then systemic reactions would be the second thought. I know I have been under a lot of stress so that is yet another factor.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When you said that you have acne on one side of your face and that it's the side that you sleep on, you figured out exactly what causes it.

Go with silk bedsheets and wash or change them often.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can anyone help diagnose my skin?!

I'm a 39 year old woman, and one side of my face is quite flawless, whilst the other side suffers with acne.

About 5 years ago a small patch developed on the middle of that cheek, of what appeared to be enlarged pores. Over the years the pores all across that cheek have become enlarged, and from time to time they result in spots. Often the spots begin itchy - very like mosquito bites, and they're not the usual teenage 'squeezing' type. They're not so awful that I can't cover them with makeup - but I look pretty awful without it!

I often sleep on that side of my face. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a dietary problem, because no skin care products seem to help.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I would start with my pillow....make sure it's hypo-allergenic.

I use a cotton pillowcase as it's breathable....foam pillow because of my allergies and I cover it with a breathable cover so that I can wash it with hot water. I change my pillowcase daily, use perfume/dye free detergent (make sure your washer rinses well) and perfume/dye free softner sheets. Clean phone/cell phone often as you'll be surprised what collects on them.

Toni

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the really useful ideas. Many of you have suggested allergy to my pillow, so I'll try that route first - change my detergent and regularly change the pillowcase. Thanks again - what a great website!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi Charlie2009 and welcome, I agree, it does sound like an allergic reaction. I have to use a cover over my pillow ( between pillow case and pillow) especially for allergies great to be rid of dust mites, particles and what have you. fairly cheap too, 4/ 10$ at homesense but I'm sure you can pick them up at department stores too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts