Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been working out at the same gym for quite some time. I have seen a lot of people come and go. On the other hand I am very consistent, I usually go at the same time and work out in the same places. I try to get my work out in as soon as possible after work, so I can enjoy my night with my family. While I do not have gym 'buddies' I know some familiar faces and we smile at one another. I give this background information so that everyone who reads this understands that I know I am familiar with exercise and weight training.

Here is my problem: There is a sudden influx of 'meathead' type guys at the gym. Obviously, one can tell they know their way around a bench. What is bothering me is that on several occasions I have been using equipment (such as a bench, or a weight set) that people want to use. I have no problem sharing. However, I fully feel that before I ask someone to share their weights, or equipment, I will take the time to look around and see if there are not identical items, which are already free. Many times, I will be clearly using a piece of equipment and nearby identical equipment will sit next to a man. This person is not, and has not been using the equipment, while I am actually lifting, or sitting on mine. Men will ask me if I am using mine, not even to ask to share, because they needed it. The first few times I said, Ill share. Then I got tired of it, so I politely told someone that there was an identical piece of equipment completely free by another gentlemen. This person had the audacity to look at me like I was being rude to him. I know this is not huge, but while it is subtle I definitely feel a hostile environment at the gym. I enjoy working out, but I am feeling pressured to not be in the weights area during 'heavy traffic' hours, because I am getting in the way of 'real weight lifters'.

Any suggestions about what I should do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
u are your own person and it shouldn't bother you. do you do this when you are at work/school and your boss/teacher gets upset with you? No you don't, and you continue with your day.

with that being said i do not sit on a machine unless my sets are extremely close to each other in terms of rest or I am doing DB benchpress. just gotta go with the flow

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You keep using your equipment and doing your workouts as you wish. You pay your membership fees, and are thus entitled to use the equipment to your liking. If someone wants to use the machine tell them that they can use the other equipment or until you're done your weight.

Sometimes "meatheads" forget that no everyone wants to be a bodybuilder, not everyone trains the same way, and that they are no more important than anyone else in the gym. They have no special rights nor do they have any special priority. Trust me they can wait a minute for you to finish your stuff.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Good advice Freddy. Those bullies have to wait their turn like everyone else! If they don't like it, let them buy their own home gyms.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Oh, but I'm sure/hope it's because of personal preference (convenience, LT savings) - and not because you are one of those bullies, Peri.
Yep convenience and money saving. I just bully myself in my gym.
"Come on you worthless weakling.....give me 10 more reps"

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
And those bullies sure can be intimidating!

Try saying "Wait your turn please" to a scowling testosterone-pumped 300# person who is glaring at you and panting!! They really try to throw their weight around and get right IN your space!

But in all fairness, women can be jerks too, especially if their aerobics class is scheduled to begin and you are right in "their" spot from the previous class! Lordy!

Why can't people be decent and fair? It's all about MEMEME anymore!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Oh but for me when those "meatheads" want a piece of equipment or machine I am on, I get right up or give them the equipment that they need or want. Because afterall, they ARE more important...........NOT!!!!

Are you kidding me-? I would NEVER feel like I shouldn't be at the gym because it is a busy time, etc. You have every right to be there. Just as Freddy said, you pay your membership dues, just like they do!!

Good thing I don't go to your gym, I would tell those "boys" were to stuff it!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
OMG! LittleEmmy, I agree with Freddy and the others--YOU PAY YOU PLAY! Just keep on doing what you need and if they stand over you look them right in the eyes and say in the most assertive voice you have, "YES, CAN I HELP YOU WITH SOMETHING?"

Personally I do my ashtanga yoga and now my rebounding (trampoline) at home. I never liked gyms too much and only ever used them when I was unable to workout at home or when they were offered via free memberships (work or flat). Those meatheads are exactly that-meatheads!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys this is really great advice. I know that I should just stand up for myself, but it feels more complicated than that. I am not worried anyone will yell at me, or physically push me or anything. Simply, that when you feel resented, you feel uncomfortable. I am currently looking to move to a gym that is more fitness minded, versus looks-oriented. I used to be at another gym, but when I moved I changed to a closer gym, but I liked it a lot. I am beginning to think that the drive is worth it.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Hey guys this is really great advice. I know that I should just stand up for myself, but it feels more complicated than that. I am not worried anyone will yell at me, or physically push me or anything. Simply, that when you feel resented, you feel uncomfortable. I am currently looking to move to a gym that is more fitness minded, versus looks-oriented. I used to be at another gym, but when I moved I changed to a closer gym, but I liked it a lot. I am beginning to think that the drive is worth it.
LittleEmmy, I totally understand what you are saying. I drive 45 mins to get to my gym, and YES the drive is worth it. It is really important to find a gym that you are comfortable at. Going to the gym can be a challege for a lot of people. The last thing you want is to add tension once you get there.

Sorry to hear this is causing you to look for another gym, but if you are not happy there, definately find another!!

Best of luck to you-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LittleEmmy;41263 I am not worried anyone will yell at me said:
Emmy, this is exactly what I was getting at!

And I think we sometimes try to please TOO MUCH! Why should THEY have the grudge when you are perfectly within your rights to be using the equipment too? I know there is a time limit usually for certain equipment, but members should have the courtesy and sportsmanship to take turns.

I for one am now going to growl back!! GRRRRRRRR

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ha! Pretty hilarious and sad at the same time, you're doing the right thing. Just keep pointing them to their proper place and knowing that we're all in your corner cheering you on for holding your boundaries!
They're (the ones that hassle you) probably just terribly insecure under all those fluffy muscles...the people in life who are the most judgemental/critical of others usually are...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts