Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I need some advise?
i have really dry skin and in the morning it is really visible, and it restricts me from wearing makeup cos it looks like i have a pattern imprinted into my face! i have tryed lots of products but none have worked. The only issue is i have to be careful because my skin is sensitive to and i can have reactions to some products
i need some help please? anything would be helpful! Thankyou

P.s. i am at the age now where i get bad spots too so... it kinda needs to help that too?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi there!

Try using natural products like pure shea butter, cocoa butter or even coconut oil as moisturisers for your dry skin. Use soap-free cleansers and avoid alcohol based skincare products as they are very drying. Drink lots of water as this is not only good for your health but also good for your skin... It should help clear your spots too in the long run. Have patience!

In case you have serious case of acne, it is better to consult a dermatologist.

Hope this is helpful to you.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Drinking plain water only does this much to your skin. And you tend to visit toilet more often. (I'm not saying it bad, that way you flush toxins out) But to really hydrate skin from within, try to increase your fruit and veggie intake. I tend to have clearer and more supple skin when I eat lots of pomegranates (like 3 or 4 a day).
Evening primrose and fish oil are very beneficial to dry skin too as they contain essential fatty acids. Both are available in capsule form, but that way it gets very expensive. For fish oil I had to eat 12 capsules daily in order to get the 5 ml of oil. I just swished to liquid and bad tasting form. It's not so bad once you get used to it and swallow fast. Flax seed oil was the worst tasting and I didn't see any improvement in my skin.
For skin care, maybe you should avoid getting water on your skin, as it dries out, especially hot water. Instead try cleansing milks, creams, oils, miccellar waters (they are recommended even for hypersensitive skins). And I agree with pumi, if you have sensitive skin, use as little products as possible and use pure forms, oils, butters. They have no potentially irritating ingredients like stabilizers, conservants and such.
And if you use air-conditioner or spend long periods of time in air conditioned rooms, they will dry out skin even more.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Make sure you are not using a cleanser that is too harsh for your skin. Cream based cleansers are good for those with dry skin. Also, make sure you are using lukewarm water. If your water is too hot it will only make matters worse.

You could also try massaging your face with avocado oil before going to bed. Avocado oil is great for those with dry skin. If you find it to be too heavy for your likings, you could also try jojoba oil, almond oil or grapeseed oil. These are favorites of mine.

Also taking an Omega 3 supplement along with Vit E supplement, might be very helpful.

It all is just trial and error and finding what works best for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Emily Rose

You do not say how old you but say you are of an age when you are inclined to spots. Therefore, I wonder if you are a teenager.

Anyway, if you are using products for spotty skin which have a de-greasing effect, you can cause a reaction and this could result in both the dryness which you're experiencing and a subsequent triggering of spots.

I suggest that you replace any alcohol-based toner with neat witch hazel on a cotton wool ball to clear up spots. Try 'Simple Cleanser' which will cleanse gently and not dry your complexion.

You could also use hazelnut or jojoba oil because they have excellent powers of penetration and are slightly astringent and, therefore, suit oilier skin types. They will not overly dry your complexion while they treat spotty areas and are natural and should suit sensitive skin.

A SPOT-BUSTER RECIPE
1 teaspoon hazelnut or jojoba oil
1 drop peppermint essential oil or 2 drops of tea-tree oil
Mix the oils and apply twice daily

SKIN EXFOLIATOR

1 tablespoon granulated white sugar mixed with a few drops of hot water makes an excellent skin scrub for slightly spotty skins.
Sugar contains mildly antibacterial qualities. It is natural and should not cause a treaction.

Hope this works,

Warm regards,

redrose

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I also have extremely dry, crepey skin. I have started using Dr. Obagi's NuDerm line. It's a little pricey, but EXCELLENT! I am also using the Xtendlife active body lotion. I use Retin-A at night. And the MOST important thing...Kassy's DIY Vitamin C serum. I've had so much improvement I'm now getting comments on how great my skin looks and how soft it is. My husband LOVES it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts