It can be family recipes, remixed recipes, simple recipes etc​
Everyone has their own way of cooking certain dishes​
Not everyday Nigerian Food!​
Not Everyday Pounded Yam!​
x​

·
Registered
985 Posts
Jollof Rice! For the rice - 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil - 2 large onions, sliced - 2 x 400g/14oz cans plum tomatoes - 1 red pepper, diced - 4 tbsp tomato purée - ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or chilli powder - 1 tsp curry powder - 1 bay leaf - sprig fresh thyme - 1 stock cube - 225g/8oz long-grain or basmati rice - salt and freshly ground black pepper To serve - 2 plantains, cut into slices and deep fried - green leaf salad

·
Registered
594 Posts
plantain porridge.8 Unripe plantain,6 fresh tomatoes and pepper, smoked fish, seasoning, salt to taste, a bunch of pumpkin leave. Voila

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
plantain porridge.8 Unripe plantain,6 fresh tomatoes and pepper, smoked fish, seasoning, salt to taste, a bunch of pumpkin leave. Voila
Excess does a plantain taste like a banana??

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
gymrat no it doesn't , let's say it taste like father banana(mature banana and firmer) without the sugary taste of banana lol. The ripe one though taste a lil like it if you eat it raw. The unripe version is known to be really healthy and packed with iron,I know some diabetic people who eat it regularly on doctors order. Also its adviceable to cook it with the back(peel) cos its medicinal.

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
gymrat no it doesn't , let's say it taste like father banana(mature banana and firmer) without the sugary taste of banana lol. The ripe one though taste a lil like it if you eat it raw. The unripe version is known to be really healthy and packed with iron,I know some diabetic people who eat it regularly on doctors order. Also its adviceable to cook it with the back(peel) cos its medicinal.
Very interesting........I love hearing about different food/dishes cooked in other countries. I love to cook and love trying new things that are not common for us here in the states. Just not sure I could eat plantains with fish :hehe:. They served plantains often when i visited the DR, I just never tried them. Now I wished I had...

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
yes girl, jollof rice on here is a must! lol @gymrat  if you havent had plantain u are so missing out! when u fry it just watch out for the oil popping! so painful
LOL, now I just have to find them to cook them!! Ya, I hate popping grease, it hurts and it makes a MESS!! But I will try them if I can find them here.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I absolutely love banana porridge had no idea about plantain porridge I can just image how good it taste that recipe sounds delicious I must try oneday

·
Registered
985 Posts
I absolutely love banana porridge had no idea about plantain porridge I can just image how good it taste that recipe sounds delicious I must try oneday
plantains are real good saucey, real good. get some as soon as you can hun

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
They really are my love! I normally fry them and put it on the side for when I make yellow rice and baked chicken yummy

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You know Amelie I was just looking through th rest of the food recipes and I see that you love to cook like me I wish the cooking threads were more active.. The recipe u have for the hot sweet mustard chicken in the recipe section sounds good I copied it

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sorry not you it was hippie that post it I got it mixed up lol either way this thread need to b more active I love food

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Everyone make their's different but this is how I make mine Heat a lil olive oil in sauce pan add some chopped onions (purple ones) stir for 3 minutes. Then add 1 cup of long grain rice, Goya sazon, sophrito, ground turmeric and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add chicken broth or water whichever u prefer but personally I use chicken broth for added flavor, bring to boil cover. Simer until rice is nice and fluffy 1f60b

·
Registered
985 Posts
Heat a lil olive oil in sauce pan add some chopped onions (purple ones) stir for 3 minutes. Then add 1 cup of long grain rice, Goya sazon, sophrito, ground turmeric and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add chicken broth or water whichever u prefer but personally I use chicken broth for added flavor, bring to boil cover. Simer until rice is nice and fluffy 1f60b
that's interesting because Goya sazon and sophrito is usually used by Puerto Ricans/Dominicans to make their rice I didn't know Africans use it. thanks for sharing Saucey!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Y
that's interesting because Goya sazon and sophrito is usually used by Puerto Ricans/Dominicans to make their rice I didn't know Africans use it. thanks for sharing Saucey!
yw darling I'm not sure if Africans use it that's just how I make mine being that someone asked.. U should give it a try oneday it's really good

1 - 20 of 59 Posts