Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'd love responses from people who have stopped using their skin lightener, Hydroquinone and have been doing only maintenance for a while.

As you all know it's a melanin inhibitor and once it no longer inhibits melanin production I hear 1 of two things can happen.

1) Melanin enzymes become dysfunctional and no longer work correctly either darkening you by producing too much melanin or they stop melanin production overall.
or

2) They resume working correctly, melanin is now again being reproduced and you can reduce darkening by using sunscreen.

What I am hearing is that even if you do use sunscreen, your skin will still darken after you stop the use of HQ. I need to find out if this is true, because if it is I honestly don't see the point in starting my lightening regimen if I'll only end up dark. I am doing my lightening regimen to lighten certain hyperpigmented spots on my face, I am not doing it for a lighter shade of skin on my whole body. Just applying with a q-tip to affected areas including my elbows and knees.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
as far as i know many people on this forum who use HQ maintain without darkening

lets wait and see if someone gives us their opinion/experience

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So people actually never stop using HQ? they even maintain with a low dosage of HQ?

I would never use HQ for a long period of time, tbh. I can't spend 1yr + using HQ nonstop even during maintenance.

Ty xarax

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Hello all, I'd love responses from people who have stopped using their skin lightener, Hydroquinone and have been doing only maintenance for a while.

As you all know it's a melanin inhibitor and once it no longer inhibits melanin production I hear 1 of two things can happen.

1) Melanin enzymes become dysfunctional and no longer work correctly either darkening you by producing too much melanin or they stop melanin production overall.
or

2) They resume working correctly, melanin is now again being reproduced and you can reduce darkening by using sunscreen.

What I am hearing is that even if you do use sunscreen, your skin will still darken after you stop the use of HQ. I need to find out if this is true, because if it is I honestly don't see the point in starting my lightening regimen if I'll only end up dark. I am doing my lightening regimen to lighten certain hyperpigmented spots on my face, I am not doing it for a lighter shade of skin on my whole body. Just applying with a q-tip to affected areas including my elbows and knees.
HQ kills the melanocytes. If you use it overall body your skin will darken if you stop it. Even the sunscreen cannot stop the processus. You have to use another skin lightening product in other to maintain your skin color.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Been AWOL for a bit, still popping in to check my msgs. To answer OP: In my experience yes you do get a bit darker when you stop Hydrouinone if you use sunscreens and AHAs likely it will maintain you. You may have to do a refresher with a lightener for a period once a year (depending on your sun exposure/ part of the world you live in), I find that its easier for me to lighten as well.

My plan when I reach my goal, is to maintain with sunscreen and AHAs. I will practice SAP but not to a ridiculous degree. About once every week or two I will use my lightening agent if I feel I need it. You will redarken and maybe even more if you spend a lot of time in the sun though- having said that a little sun won't reverse everything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tyvm Titi and HotBlond. Freshening up with a lightener once in a while doesn't seem like such a bad idea, I can always switch from HQ to Arbutin or Kojic Acid. To know that I will now rely on lightening agents for the rest of my life if I want to keep my skin is a little unnerving though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
heyy i know what you mean, i've asked a similar question in the past. when i get to my goal skintone i plan to maintain by: finding a good lightening soap, taking vitamin c supplements, using a vitamin c serum, retin-a (maybe, depends how my skin likes it, my order hasn't come yet) and i will make a LA+Glycolic lotion and do full body peels when needed. If that's not enough I'll use low % HQ creams like nadinola, or worst comes to worst I'll make like a 5% HQ serum to use every few months. (hope i won't need to do that though)

I'd like to think that with sunblock, exfoliating, AHAs and vit. C and maybe a low % lightener (HQ, Kojic Acid, Arbutin) lighter, beautiful skin can be maintain. Again I don't know for sure. I'm still a bit of a newbie so I'd love to hear from those who have managed to maintain too!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Someone I know went from Serena Williams to Tyra Banks using a cream her mother sends her from Africa it is not Mega toner. I just saw her this month she has darkened by 2-3 shades because she ran out of her cream and wasn't using sunscreen. She believes that sunscreen makes the skin dark how I don't know. So yeah for some people you can darken if you stop using HQ. She also mentioned that she darkened rather quickly guess melanin rebounding was working in full gear having been supressed for a long time maybe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mileena has a blog about skin lightening that she updates frequently - (AllAboutSkinLightening.net). She has maintained her lightening results via products that do not contain HQ. Granted - I think she mainly removed a perma-tan and was pretty fair to begin with - however, I still think her site will be beneficial to those looking for post-HQ maintenance options - I know I'll be following her blog closely once I start steering away from the HQ.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
HQ kills the melanocytes. If you use it overall body your skin will darken if you stop it. Even the sunscreen cannot stop the processus. You have to use another skin lightening product in other to maintain your skin color.
OH NO IM PLANNING TO USE HQ 10 ALL OVER BODY FOR 3 MONTHS THEN TAKE A MONTHS BREAK (BUT USE GLYTONE LOTION AND KOJIC ACID AND ALL IN THAT BREAK) THEN CONTINUE FOR 3 MONTHS THEN BREAK (I WANNA DO THIS FOR A YEAR IS THIS HARMFUL??

OH AND ALL OVER BODY!!

BUT I WILL STOP HQ ONCE I REACH MY GOAL ??

OPINIONS PLEASE

sorry for caps lock

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
well. according to a post by LNL, after you discontinue HQ use, your melanin production just returns to what it was originally programmed to do. your skin will be super sensitive to anything that could give it the opportunity to darken though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonderful answers and resources

1 - 12 of 12 Posts