Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i've been using a lot of bp to treat my acne,
and I have noticed my skin get really coarse and lumpy/wrinkly in a lot of areas on my face.

At first i thought it was just stress or something else.
But I recently knocked out a breakout with some bp, but then kept using the bp as a daily regimen.. even though i was feeling my skin be very irritated.

well, since those extra bp applications, I've seen a definite increase in the coarseness/wrinklyness..
especially around my eyes.

Any tips on turning this around?
I was thinking i'd just lay off products entirely and try to keep moisture on my face with warm water... but i'd like to expedite the process if possible

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think you overdid it with the Benzoyl Peroxide. I read somewhere that your skin can become addicted to it. I'd use something hydrating, possibly a serum with Vitamin C & E around your eyes. Have a good cosmetician recommend something for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, ok
yeah i'm going to the mall right now so maybe I can talk to someone there..

you're right about the bp, I'm going to discontinue it except for situations where I have a serious breakout occurring. (stuff sure does knock acne out with the swiftness for me though )

Just a matter of healing the aftermath now I think..

·
Registered
138 Posts
tad--i am pretty much in the same boat. Get on the vit-c serum AM and retin-a PM (perhaps alternate with tazorac and retin-a) bandwagon. Your skin will look bad at first but will improve: helps with both acne and aging. uugh.. the evils of BP.

·
Registered
138 Posts
pretty much just start researching anti-aging actives... niacinamide, the peptides that comprise maxytrl and maxytrl 3000... im in the process of doing it myself. I am working on my master's so--it will take a while.

·
Administrator
33,824 Posts
tad--i am pretty much in the same boat. Get on the vit-c serum AM and retin-a PM (perhaps alternate with tazorac and retin-a) bandwagon. Your skin will look bad at first but will improve: helps with both acne and aging. uugh.. the evils of BP.
This post is from last January-

I got excited for a minute because one of our great members that hasn't been on in awhile had posted. I was going to say HEY your back--
Then I realized it was from last year-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, tell her to stop using it!!
and let her skin heal for a bit or see a dermatologist before trying something else.
BP is REAAAALLY strong stuff,
I have still used it on the rare, but ONLY if I have some crazy insane acne breakout that needs immediate attention, and even then i'll only use it like once or twice...

I think salicylic acid is an alternative actually,
though it's weaker and is in all sorts of acne cleansers, you can actually find it in
a topical formula. Nuetrogena makes something called 3in1 stress control
I've hear multiple people raving about how it cuts down acne a LOT.

also I found some neutrogena salicylic acid 2% gel lying around so you could try that too (just put it on over night... moisturizer during the day!)

good luck!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that BP has been shown to be linked with possible scaring because it does damage to the skin. SkinBio has one member who has reversed a lot of damage that she believes BP did to her - Stoney is her name thats worth reading but I think she did dermarolling and CPs and its taken a long time for it to reverse.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi Tad

It looks like you have done the most important thing, and discontinued use of BP. Your skin should go back no normal within a couple of weeks. It might need a little help.

I do weekly peels with fairly strong combination of salicylic and lactic acid. It does a very good job at keeping pores clean an skin clear. It works better for me than salicylic acid in daily products. If you try this in stead of BP it should smooth out your complection, and reverse any trace of coarseness left by the BP. It is a bit drying, but ideal for oily skin, and this kind of peel has showed to help with signs of ageing like thinning skin, age spots and dull complection. If you have persistent problem with dryness you can leave out the salicylic, and go for pure alpha hydroxy peels. It's the salicylic that is a bit drying, but it's also the acid effective at cleaning clogged pores.

Find something mild and nourishing for your skin, perhaps with hyaluronic acid, and anti oxidants to help with the unwanted effects you have experienced.

Best of luck :- )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts