Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alpha lipoic acid for a 20 year old, yay or nay? I want to prevent agint, but at the same time I'm pretty young, and don't want to mess up anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't see why not. It won't do any harm. The earlier you use it the better shape your skin will be in. But I think the most important thing is wearing a good sunscreen everyday. I wish I knew that when I was your age. I think lots of my skin problems were partly caused by insufficient sun protection when I was younger.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Alpha lipoic acid for a 20 year old, yay or nay? I want to prevent agint, but at the same time I'm pretty young, and don't want to mess up anything.
I say at your age, if you are that serious about your skin, GOOD for you!! That is awesome! There are many great benefits in using a Vit C serum. I think if you are going to start with a Vit C serum, you should definately make it yourself. This will cost you a fraction of what you would pay off the shelf and because you make it fresh you know it will not be oxidised and it will work.

You will save a ton, and by the time you are my age you will be a pro at making it!!

But I say go for it Saklig!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble, but the only way to *prevent* aging is to die young..

Since that isn't a happy option, you must find the things that will *slow down the hands of time*.. What are they you say?

#1. Consistent use of sunscreen, and anything that keeps you shaded, and protected from the sun physically every day, rain or shine, winter or summer.

#2. A good quality Vitamin C Serum.. Either make your own, or find one that incorporates vitamin E and Ferulic Acid.. If you can get some AHA in there, all the better.. (Antioxidants work best in teams for the synergistic effect. The team of A, C, E + FA are the very best for a 'C' serum, and should not be less or more than these 4) (Save the rest for another serum at night or mid day!)

#3. Feed your skin regularly with great vitamins + fatty acids.. (This is what nourishes both the inside and outside of the cell membranes..(water/lipid)... The most natural product you can get, which will cover all of these areas, is cold pressed Avocado Oil. It contains vitamins A, B, C, E, and all the fatty acids our cells need. Rosehip Oil is at the top of my list as well.

#4. Keep chemicals to a minimum in all forms.. Everything we put on our skin is absorbed in great percentage into our deep dermis as well as blood. Our skin can't differentiate the good from the bad, so it's all fair game.. Keep things simple and healthy, and you will stay way ahead of the aging process.

#5. When you are 25, the lowest % of Retin-A a few times per week would be beneficial.. (At this point in time you must be even more vigilant with sunscreen/barrier protection.)

#6. On the off nights of Retin-A, an Alpha Hydroxy Acid cream/serum is great to keep the skin cycling in peak performance.. (Gotta keep the crud off, to allow the good stuff to penetrate.)

For oral supplements you can't go wrong with these daily;

500 to 1000 mg of Vitamin C
1000 mg of Opti-MSM
Calcium + Vitamin D (calcium is a cumulative thing, and must be taken over a lifetime to be beneficial.. It also must contain vitamin D, or it can't be absorbed.)
Hyaluronic Acid 50 to 100 mg (especially good for dry skin types.. Drink plenty of water when taking this supplement for best results.)
Omega Fatty Acids 1000mg (3 is best, but 3, 6 or 9 combined are great also.)

Don't overdue supplements.. Just because something is sold OTC, it doesn't mean you can go crazy.. Keep in mind that everything you take orally, must be metabolized through the liver/kidneys.. Some things can be toxic in large doses, so keep it simple. Lest is best in so many aspects of our lives, truly.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Alpha lipoic acid for a 40 year old, yay or nay?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The earlier the better... take care of your skin now so it always looks like this great!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I am really on the fence about supplements. I take TONS myself but because most are not regulated I worry that absorption is only sub-adequate to do the things these are meant to do. I take them almost out of superstition though I believe some do clearly get absorbed (the more common ones). I believe that when dealing with supplements specifically for the skin topical application in a proven absorbable suspension is likely superior to oral administration. You need to remember that the tablets need to not only survice the gastric acids but also need to be easily absorbed by the intestines in their purest nutritional form in order to be distributed throughout the body to the cells.

Now the problem with this is even if buffered there are two big issues-firstly each individual varies in the health and functional state of their intestines and as such any fluctuation in absorption effects the absorption and thus the bioavailability of the supplement. Secondly, if you are like me and eat healthy high fibre diets you will tend to, more often than not and likely unbeknownst to you, pass the buffered pill unchanged in the bowel. This is clearly a waste of money! I recommend NON-buffered supplements if you have regular bowel movements (such as after each meal or more than once per day) and buffered if you have a sluggish bowel. Despite this I think the best forms of all supplememts are actually ones that can be taken sublingually or topically applied.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
...and don't forget yur babyQ which helps with mitochondrial stimulation too, along with your ALA/ALC!!! Have we solved the ageing problem yet? We must be getting close...soon we will all be fetal like The Baby!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
...and don't forget yur babyQ which helps with mitochondrial stimulation too, along with your ALA/ALC!!! Have we solved the ageing problem yet? We must be getting close...soon we will all be fetal like The Baby!
So what about that mitochondrial cream fawnie? That helps right?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes, I use it on my neck instead of RA and it seems to work fine as well as moisturizing and smoothing, but I don't know yet if it will work as well as RA. My own experiment!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Yes, I use it on my neck instead of RA and it seems to work fine as well as moisturizing and smoothing, but I don't know yet if it will work as well as RA. My own experiment!
Oh I don't know if there is anything out there that will work like or as well as RA. I would guess this cream is good to use on the off days of RA.
Which we all need from time to time-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
My guess is that there are going to be a lot more anti-ageing products coming out every minute of the day....what a money-making field and one rife with bogus claims..

So many products, so little time. Gotta get back to trying a new one here....

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts