Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure many of you have heard of this...lesions in the corner of the mouth caused by ill fitting dentures/candida virus etc...I have been dealing with this since the end of 2001. I had braces as a child and think that this is the cause. I have tried everything. Any thing you can think of i have probably tried. Right now the left corner of my mouth has a tiny patch of skin that is not smooth a small inflamation. Barely noticeable actually i am the only one who notices it but what i want to know is...is there any way to rejuvenate the growth of full healthy skin. I have been on many topical medications and steroids so i am afraid my skin has thinned thus causing it to not be able to heal back to it normal. The most confusing thing about it is the right side of my mouth is normal and back in 2002 i broke out with cuts on my mouth that eventually turned into yeast infections. 1 side healed perfectly and the other didnt. My case isnt the usual case. I have no cuts/or infection it is just raw skin that looks like it cannot heal...The skin is smooth just a tad bit discolored. Every now and then the skin flakes and gets dry. Is there anyway my skin will be normal again? .this thing ruined my high school years... Sorry for the long rant but any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for the input..i think i know the issue...Being that i have had it for so long and used so many topicals my skin has thinned thus causing it to stay raw and be proned to cracking and becoming infected.I think instead of looking for treatments I will use EMU oil to try to restore the skin. The funny thing is every time i get to the flap surface where the skin is discolored thats where it stops and wont heal so i figure it has to be due to thinning skin. The area is not bad at all it is just raw and not smooth like it should be..Will use Emu oil and hopefully that does the trick

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well no ive been to numerous doctors and before it was candida infection basically a yeast infection..theyd throw me on antibiotics and anti fungals..it would improve a little but due to the steroids being used a lot of my good cells were damaged and good bacteria killed thus causing more out breaks...im on day 2 of the emu oil and actually have seen improvement already..skin looks like it may recover but i wont speak too soon
I am almost certain my skin has thinned due to all the steroids...

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well, fingers crossed for you!

How's your iron, b12 and folate intake? Plenty of leafy greens, eggs, beans?? That could be a factor, you prob already know!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
folate im unsure eggs usually for breakfast beans a decent amount leafy greens ehh....but the emu oil really looks as if its making a difference..i take a multi vitamin daily..wish i was educated l ike this 7 yrs ago when this started.. iwouldhave been cured a long time ago...doctors seem to only make it worse and sites like these help with finding natural remedies instead of steroids..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well 5 days of using the emu oil and i have seen great improvement..skin is rejuvenated and almost back to its natural color...i recommend emu oil to anyone who is having a skin ailment...

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
Yep- emu oil did me wonders too. I don't use it like I used too, but when I do, it works wonders. People have mixed opinions on emu oil, but I have found that the ones that are against it or say it doesn't work, are the ones who have never tried it themselves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep..its like gold to me... i should have taken before and after shots...for those who are against it i dont know what to say..it works wonders..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
YaY! I'm glad you found something to help!

I have heard great things about emu oil, but it isn't vegan and it smells like chicken. So that killed it for me. Just a personal preference, but if it works for you - Super!

I like avocado oil for big jobs - it's thick and stays on the skin for a long time.
Also, Manuka honey kills bacteria and helps heal. I know I keep beating that drum, but it works!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ yeah the emu was the thing for me bc of its reginerating features. The Funny thing was the area had healed the skin was just damaged because on no good bacteria thus causing it to be dry and suseptable to infection. I was going in a cycles since i was 16 with this.. i am now 21..I kept thinking its a really resilient infection but it was just damaged skin... due to all the steroids...I will use avacado oil and manuka honey to complement the emu oil after the skin gets to 100% natural and smooth..i am at about 85% now...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: skin is about 80% back to normal the skin is almost 80% natural and smooth no discoloration. Seems to have a very thin layer of damaged skin...I am hoping i get back the normal natural look that i am supposed to have...Do you guys think i should try manuka honey to complement the emu oil? maybe speed up the process of 100 percent rejuvenation? I have been mixing it with jojoba oil and tea tree oil...I know tea tree oil is also good to keep bacteria away so ive used it as a preventative. all opinions are greatly appreciated! Because like i stated before i am no longer dealing w/ perleche its just damaged skin due to the steroid creams..and all the stuff i used..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i ordered manuka honey cream and will try a combination of this and the emu..the area has improved but i fear that the steroid use will have left permanent damage...It seems as is it will leave a permanent scar due to the severe tissue damage...the area is barely noticible but im determined to get it back to 100% natural hopefully i can

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Jay,
I'm glad you're finally getting somewhere with it!
Manuka honey is made from the flowers of the tea tree plant, so it has anti-bacterial properties and is great for healing. I hope this works for you - at least it will taste good!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i think i made the mistake in getting the cream....and i just read that the cream has hydrocortizone so that worries me a bit..it has 1.0% of it i dont know if i should mess with that..so i ordered the actual capsules also just now

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's weird! Why would they put hydrocortisone in their honey? Huh. Yes you want to stay away from that on your face. Maybe save it for those bug bites and poison ivy this summer!

I just buy the manuka honey from the health food store in the jar. It's the same stuff that you eat. You can use it everywhere.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 78 Posts