Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great site! Having read a bit I think I will ask my Dr for a script for Retin-A. I am so disappointed with my 60yr old skin (face). I have not been overly exposed to sun, but am finding small brown spots on my face, some are raised, some flat. My pores seem so huge! I am using a Neutrogena face wash and a L'Oreal moisturiser but have developed red, flaking patches near my eyebrows and side of nose. I need to work out which product is causing that. I did see a cosmetic Dr and discussed Fraxel (about $A2,000) but she advised I would need some Botox first. That bothers me. What are the chemicals in Botox. Is Fraxel another word for Laser? I am also becoming more educated on the chemicals in various products. (I use hair products which are from the health food store and supposedly contain none of the damaging chemicals.) I have tried home made concotions (on face and hair) before but of course have not been consistent enough to evaluate results. I have used Dr Leewin but it is just too expensive for me to continue. I did really love their facial mask though and you could see the improvement immediately after using the product.
I did have my lips done some years ago (the tattoo work not collagen). Only lasted about a year and now it is so hard to outline my lips (and they are so thin). I originally went to the cosmetician to get my new nipple tattooed but then decided, whose going to see it, may as well spend it on my lips!!!!!! (I had a mastectomy and a reconstruction.)
I have given up trying lipsticks which say they last! I always put on a liquid lip sealer (lipcote or something like that) but I am lucky if lipstick stays on for a couple of hours.
I would love some feedback on any or all of the above.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey there fellow Aussie!

Can totally understand your frustration. I firstly suggest you keep your skincare regime simple so that you will stick to it and see results. Use a cleanser toner and moisturiser from the same range as they work in conjuction with one another for your skin type and condition. It sounds to me that your cleanser mat be the one causing your dry patches as this may be too drying for you skin.

You may be producing too much oil which in turn causes your pores to enlarge. If this is the case you will notice your skin in certain areas usually the t zone become shiney during the day. If this is happening you will need to use only products that do not contain oil including foundations. Adding extra oil to your skin excites the oil glands so to speak causing them to produce more oil. Also if your cleanser is too harsh for your skintype this can cause a drying out effect so the oil glands go into overdrive to combat this.

Flaxel is indeed a laser treatment. Botox is a purfied form of Botulism. It is used very effectively in the treament of lines and wrinkles. Needs to be readministered every three months or so by a professional not in a salon. This can be very expensive to upkeep. Google both botox and flaxel and you find out everything you would ever need to know about these to treatments.

To plump the lip area collegen injections work but they too need to be readministered on a regular basis. For a topical treatment try a moisturising lip treatment that doesnt contain vaseline ( a petro chemical). You will find these have a plumping effect as they add moisture to your lips.

To keep better staying power to your lipstick fill the entire lip area with a lipliner matching the shade of your lipstick or a nude shade. You will only then need to re apply a small amount of lipstick when needed. Add the appearance of a fuller lower lip by adding just a dab of gloss lipstick to the centre of your bottom lip. Works a treat!

Retin A will help to soften lines and wrinkles and also fade the pigmentation as retin A has an exfoliating effect on your skin. Use ONLY at night. During the day you must use a sunscreen as this product makes your skin more sensitive to the sun.

Hopefully I have been able to help you with at least some of your conerns today. Keep me posted!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts