Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Do you take any supplements you think are particularly good for the complexion? I eat alot of fruits and vegatables daily, so I think I'm pretty well covered on vitamins and minerals in general: but what about things that aren't found easily in foods?

Are there any supplements you've seen a noticable change after taking them?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I like using hair, skin and nail formulas. It has everything in it. I get it from Vitacost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally I have a very busy life and find being able to eat the right things all the time very difficult. For the past 6 months I've been taking a collagen supplement which I get from a company called Aiva Health and Beauty through the internet. Its the strongest one I could find and is only £25 for three months.

Although it was recomemded to me by a friend I was still a little sceptical at first but I must say I'm very pleased with the results and not only in my appearence. I feel much better and have lost many of my 'aches and pains' .

Not everyones cup of tea but for me it does what it says on the tin and the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peri,

I read the article you linked to about Lutein on another thread. Sounds really worth trying. Question: have you tried using it as an active as well as internally?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peri,

I sometimes use lycopene softgels topically mixed with rice bran oil. Used with a light touch, it leaves my face with a tan look. With a heavy touch? Heh, heh, a SERIOUS tomato red I have spent a lot of time wiping off. Trial and error, trial and error.

Would you mind sharing what you put into your antioxidant serum?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Peri,

I sometimes use lycopene softgels topically mixed with rice bran oil. Used with a light touch, it leaves my face with a tan look. With a heavy touch? Heh, heh, a SERIOUS tomato red I have spent a lot of time wiping off. Trial and error, trial and error.

Would you mind sharing what you put into your antioxidant serum?
yes trial and error for sure. Especially with lutein and lycopene.

My current DIY antioxidant serum:

50 grams distilled h2O
18 grams butylene glycol
17 grams NaPCA
5 grams centella asiatica
5 grams pomegranate extract
5 grams metabiotics resveratrol
a few drops of phenoxyethanol (preservative)

This last many weeks and I keep it in the fridge. Remember I'm no formulator. So far so good. YMMV.

I'll add some green tea extract next time also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for sharing Peri.

I wouldn't call myself a formulator either, though I seem to have acquired the ability to create some pretty spectacular Halloween makeup from scratch.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fawnie you are so helpful. I read that thread as well as another along the same lines. Impressive lists I must say.

My deal is that my budget is severly limited. Also, I don't like swallowing alot of pills so I think my dedication to an extensive regimine might fall off rather quickly.

The ones I know I want are Bio Cell Collegen II and MSM in powder form and Black Currant Seed Oil softgels. These may help with arthritis (which I have a touch of) as well as skin. I may also try lutein-zeaxathin after reading the article Peri linked to.

What I'm curious about are: BioSil, Alpha lipoic acid/l-carnitine, carsonine, melatonin, red clover extract, cysteine, methionine, & glutathione. These are all supposedly helpful to the skin, but if you had to pick and choose among them...which to choose? I know multi-vitamins and "skin pills" provide many of these ingredients and more, but looking at labels it seems the %'s are often quite low of anything other than the basic vitamins and minerals.

So anyone who has experience with these supplements and would recommend some over others feel free to share.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Fawnie you are so helpful. I read that thread as well as another along the same lines. Impressive lists I must say.

My deal is that my budget is severly limited. Also, I don't like swallowing alot of pills so I think my dedication to an extensive regimine might fall off rather quickly.

The ones I know I want are Bio Cell Collegen II and MSM in powder form and Black Currant Seed Oil softgels. These may help with arthritis (which I have a touch of) as well as skin. I may also try lutein-zeaxathin after reading the article Peri linked to.

What I'm curious about are: BioSil, Alpha lipoic acid/l-carnitine, carsonine, melatonin, red clover extract, cysteine, methionine, & glutathione. These are all supposedly helpful to the skin, but if you had to pick and choose among them...which to choose? I know multi-vitamins and "skin pills" provide many of these ingredients and more, but looking at labels it seems the %'s are often quite low of anything other than the basic vitamins and minerals.

So anyone who has experience with these supplements and would recommend some over others feel free to share.

I used to take Carnosine but now take Beta-Alanine as it is much cheaper and is said to be more effective.
Beta-Alanine. The Facts.
Cheap places to buy it are beyondacenturyonline.com and purebulk.com
In many people, myself included, it gives a serious skin tingling/flush after ingestion.
Similar to a niacin flush. It feels pretty cool actually.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LLucy I can totally understand not wanting to choke down handfuls of pills! I gag to think of it! Here are the supplement powders I take:

Features & Benefits | Sequel Naturals

and

Enzymatic Therapy, Fatigued to Fantastic! Energy Revitalization System, Berry Splash, 19 oz (540 g) + 30 UltraCaps - iHerb.com

I mix them up in a smoothie each morning.

I also take:
Pearl Powder caps for hair and skin,
HydraPlenish with Collagen II and hyaluronic acid for hair and skin and joints,
phosphatidylserine and ALA/ALC for brain anti-ageing,
I-Flex (rosehip seed powder with vit C) for skin and joints,
EpiCor immune booster,
melatonin 3 mg at night for sleep and anti-ageing
and vit D3 1000 mg.
I've really trimmed the list down since I started taking the 2 supplement powders!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Peri and Fawnie for your recommendations. Will save this.

Beyond a Century is where I'm going to buy the collagen, MSM, & lutein if I go with that.
Fawnie, I've used the HydraPlenish before which is why I want to buy it in bulk form from BAC. It's listed under the Joint Support section as BioCell Collagen II.

Have either of you tried SeaBuckthorn Oil as either a supplement or a topical? While cruising smartskincare, I saw a couple references to it as being a good complex of cartenoids as well as Vit E. I'm going to research further.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thanks LLucy I will check out the BioCell next time!

I've only heard of SeaBuckthorn Oil as a topical @MountainRoseHerbs.com
Sea Buckthorn Oil Profile

It does look good doesn't it! I use RoseHipSeed Oil topically too.
And Every Lipid Serum from skinactives.com which has pomegranate oil.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I take very close to the very same things that I saw on Lexi's list but I also take NSI Hyaluronic Acid with Biocell Collagen II. I get it from Vita Cost. It certainly works wonders on my sore joints but I think it also helps greatly with skin care.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
You can get a lot of amino acids from a protein shake using Gold Standard 100% Whey which I also get from Vitacost. I truly noticed a significant difference in my muscle and skin once I started using this. I will admit I gained 9 pounds but it is NOT lose or fat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I take very close to the very same things that I saw on Lexi's list but I also take NSI Hyaluronic Acid with Biocell Collagen II. I get it from Vita Cost. It certainly works wonders on my sore joints but I think it also helps greatly with skin care.
I've been noticing your various posts today, and you seem to be interested in the same areas as me! So, this hyaluronic acid supplement is working well for your joints? I ask because I've been dithering over using it for months now - and push is coming to shove!

And the skin? Wat do you notice there, please? Mine can get very dry and parched.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
You can get a lot of amino acids from a protein shake using Gold Standard 100% Whey which I also get from Vitacost. I truly noticed a significant difference in my muscle and skin once I started using this. I will admit I gained 9 pounds but it is NOT lose or fat.
Wait- you gained 9 lbs from drinking Whey protein?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts