Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Someone help! Yikes, with all the anti-aging skin care products out there how do you know which one really works.....without going broke! I mean it is crazy. Now just last night, I saw an infomercial for AminoGenesis. Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lynnii, while doing research for my natural skin care blog, I ran across an article for organic Argan Oil. I ordered a 1 oz bottle that so far has lasted 3 months. I apply it every night and after only a few weeks I had amazing results. I have spent thousands on anti wrinkle products in the past and this $30 bottle is the only product I use now. The nasty wrinkle between my brows and the ones above my lip are barely visible any more, and I no longer have a single wrinkle around my eyes. The brand I bought is called Eden Allure...you have to be careful of what you buy because some of them are not 100% argan oil.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi, Someone help! Yikes, with all the anti-aging skin care products out there how do you know which one really works.....without going broke! I mean it is crazy. Now just last night, I saw an infomercial for AminoGenesis. Has anyone tried it?
Hi Lynnii,

It would depend on your skin type and what you are looking to achieve. Does your skin need more moisture? Do you want more firmness?

I would say right off the bat no matter what skin type you have you should start on a vitamin C serum. This is by far the best product to use on your skin. Most of us here make our own because you can tweak it to what your skin needs most. You should read the threads on Vitamin C to get all of the info. If you want to purchase a ready made one instead of DIY, I would suggest you get at least 10% potency. Cellex C makes a good one but it's a little pricey. I used to use Cellular RX C+ Firming Serum and it worked great.

Read through the threads in Anti-aging especially vitamin C and feel free to ask questions...

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
HI Lynnii and welcome!

Here is some reference material that I found helpful in trying to sort thru the BS out there:

Topical Skin Rejuvenation Treatments
Biology of Aging

The facial exercise program that I do recommends Retin-A and vit C for skin health. I don't like Retin-A so I use Green Cream which is a retinol product that is kinder to my skin.

There are so many combinations of products, mostly I just had to trial and error to find what works for my skin. Hope this can help you!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
353 Posts
To me the best anti-aging products are those that repair the damage from free radicals, do their part to prevent new damage and feed your skin exactly what it needs to rebuild.

All that can be had cumulatively and effectively with antioxidants.. They do their best work when fighting in teams, and the best of the bunch (IMHO) are;

Vitamins A, B-5, C, E + Beta Carotene
Grapeseed Oil or extract
Green Tea extract
Ferulic Acid (gets a nod when incorporated with C + E)
Pomegranate

(**Just a little important side note, vitamin C plus water equals oxidation, UNLESS you also have vitamin E or Grapeseed oil in there too**)

What's great about these antioxidants, is that they reach both the water + lipid parts of the deep skin cells, which in turn covers all bases. The best formulation will contain both water + oil, and several antioxidants should be at the top of the ingredient list..

For those who love to DIY, you probably already know the wonders of Avocado, Rosehip + Grapeseed Oils, so you're well on your way already... That little addition of Avocado oil into just about any decent retail cream, will increase the benefits ten fold. (If truth be known oils that include lovely antioxidants + wonderful fatty acids, are most definitely my holy grail.)

Honestly, nobody has to spend a fortune to have beautiful skin. I'm sure the majority already know about the empty promises in those $$$$ jars full of chemicals that never do what they say it will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ladies, thanks so much for the great advice! Wow I am so glad I found this forum. I have read some great things about Camellia Oil. Does anyone use it. Do these oils cause break-outs at all? Are they oily on the skin? I want to try it. Also, from what I have learned here, I am going to try the DIY Vit. C Serum. Plus, the glycolic peel pads. Oh, I am already using the Retin-A micro - so I guess I am doing something right! lol I am just so confused as to what order to apply these problems, can anyone help with that?

I will be 50 next month, and my skin is slightly oil in the t-zone with some larger pores in that area. Also, can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive moisturizer?

Thanks so much, you guys are wonderful!

Lynnii

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hah, I meant to say "what order to apply these PRODUCTS" not problems!!!! Oh so funny. You can tell where my mind is - lol!!

Thanks again to all that can help me!
Lynnii

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Hi ladies, thanks so much for the great advice! Wow I am so glad I found this forum. I have read some great things about Camellia Oil. Does anyone use it. Do these oils cause break-outs at all? Are they oily on the skin? I want to try it. Also, from what I have learned here, I am going to try the DIY Vit. C Serum. Plus, the glycolic peel pads. Oh, I am already using the Retin-A micro - so I guess I am doing something right! lol I am just so confused as to what order to apply these problems, can anyone help with that?

I will be 50 next month, and my skin is slightly oil in the t-zone with some larger pores in that area. Also, can anyone recommend a good but inexpensive moisturizer?

Lynnii
No the oils should not cause break outs. I am acne prone (took Accutane) and NEVER have had a break out from any facial oils.

No, they are not oily at all. You only need to use a tiny bit though. I would say grapeseed oil or sweet almond oil, is probably the lightest, if you wanted to try it to see. Jojoba is one of my favorites.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts

Lynnii
Sorry, I didn't answer all the questions, just saw the question about the oils-

As far as applying the products. I apply my Vit C serum in the AM, wait 20-30mins then apply my sunscreen. At night I apply my RA, wait 30 mins or longer, then a moisturizer if I need one. Skinactives make a few nice moisturizers.

http://www.skinactives.com/product/d...spx?prodID=168
Skin Actives Scientific : Coffee Fruit Cream
Skin Actives Scientific : Anti-Aging Cream with Resveratrol

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry, I didn't answer all the questions, just saw the question about the oils-

As far as applying the products. I apply my Vit C serum in the AM, wait 20-30mins then apply my sunscreen. At night I apply my RA, wait 30 mins or longer, then a moisturizer if I need one. Skinactives make a few nice moisturizers.

Skin Actives Scientific : Anti-Aging Cream with Resveratrol
I apply Vitamin C serum in the AM, then sunscreen
Night time I use Green Cream Green Cream High Potency Retinol instead of RA.

I have the Anti-Aging cream with Resveratrol and absolutely love this product. It blends better than my Philosophy moisturizer. Haven't tried the Coffee Fruit Cream yet....I'm sure I'll cave in and buy it soon

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I apply Vitamin C serum in the AM, then sunscreen
Night time I use Green Cream Green Cream High Potency Retinol instead of RA.

I have the Anti-Aging cream with Resveratrol and absolutely love this product. It blends better than my Philosophy moisturizer. Haven't tried the Coffee Fruit Cream yet....I'm sure I'll cave in and buy it soon
Sorry I posted the coffee cream twice-this is the other I have tried.
Skin Actives Scientific : Mitochondrial Booster Cream

If I use a moisturizer in the daytime under my makeup I will use the Coffee Cream. (Same color as the Anti Aging) Careful if you try the Mitochondria, it is a yellowish orange-
and a lot thicker than the other 2.

Have you ever tried Skinactives eye bright?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry I posted the coffee cream twice-this is the other I have tried.
Skin Actives Scientific : Mitochondrial Booster Cream

If I use a moisturizer in the daytime under my makeup I will use the Coffee Cream. (Same color as the Anti Aging) Careful if you try the Mitochondria, it is a yellowish orange-
and a lot thicker than the other 2.

Have you ever tried Skinactives eye bright?
I might get the Mitochondria for the winter as my skin tends to be dry and in need of more moisture. Funny thing is when I looked at the product it tends to look like it will be very rich but when I applied it to my skin, it blended in so nice. I think I'm liking these products...
No I haven't tried the eye bright yet but it's on my wish list
which means I'll probably order it next week

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I like this for my normal but sun-damaged skin:

Skin Actives Scientific : ELS Serum: 'Every Lipid Serum' with Ceramide

Applied on damp skin, it seals in moisture and plumps up fine lines. The anti-oxidants are nice too! The small bottle will last a long time. You only need a few drops each time.

I tried Camellia Oil but it was only *meh*. It's a rather thin oil and can be used on hair and skin and the Asians love it. It didn't really impress me though.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I might get the Mitochondria for the winter as my skin tends to be dry and in need of more moisture. Funny thing is when I looked at the product it tends to look like it will be very rich but when I applied it to my skin, it blended in so nice. I think I'm liking these products...
No I haven't tried the eye bright yet but it's on my wish list
which means I'll probably order it next week
Let me know if you like the the eye bright. I just purchased an eye cream from Juice, so we shall see how this works out-

Their serums are nice, the ELS fawnie is talking about and the Antioxidant Booster (except the color is horrible) so only use it at night!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys, Just wondering how often everyone uses a moisturizer. I mean do you use it every morning and every night after you use your treatment, Vit. C or Retin-A? I was always under the opinion that you are suppose to use moisturizer in the morning and in the evening. I have a problem with a "shine" in my t-zone - maybe that is from using my moisturizer in the morning before I apply my make-up?? I don't know, but it is driving me crazy! lol

Lynnii

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You don't always need a moisturizer Lynnii! It depends how your skin feels. I just use my DIY vit C serum, my eye cream and then my sunscreen which is plenty moisturizing. At night I use my Green Cream, Viterol-A Eye Cream and no moisturizer!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I like this for my normal but sun-damaged skin:

Skin Actives Scientific : ELS Serum: 'Every Lipid Serum' with Ceramide

Applied on damp skin, it seals in moisture and plumps up fine lines. The anti-oxidants are nice too! The small bottle will last a long time. You only need a few drops each time.

I tried Camellia Oil but it was only *meh*. It's a rather thin oil and can be used on hair and skin and the Asians love it. It didn't really impress me though.
Just order this serum...will let you know how I like it

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi guys, Just wondering how often everyone uses a moisturizer. I mean do you use it every morning and every night after you use your treatment, Vit. C or Retin-A? I was always under the opinion that you are suppose to use moisturizer in the morning and in the evening. I have a problem with a "shine" in my t-zone - maybe that is from using my moisturizer in the morning before I apply my make-up?? I don't know, but it is driving me crazy! lol

Lynnii
I tend to use moisturizer mostly in the winter or dry season. I use Vitamin C serum in the morning followed by a sunscreen. I do not use a moisturizer in the morning. At night after my Green Cream if my skin feels tight I add a moisturizer. Now that the humidity is very high, I leave it out. I do use an eye cream both morning & night. I would say use a moisturizer only if you feel you need it.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
It's so cheap I can't believe it! I use a tiny drop every now and then during the day on the crows-feet areas if they are looking dry - this instantly plumps them up and smoothes them. You won't be sorry!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts