Skin Care Talk banner

Anti-oxidants

6K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  juliawonderful 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I stumbled accross this forum in my quest to find the perfect moisturiser.... or at least, find one that might suit my profile; Im 33 years old and have developed lines and wrinkles around my eyes, forehead and a little around my mouth. In a bid to save my skin, Ive recently quit smoking (difficult but certainly for the best) and have been diligent in cleaning and moisturising.

I would like to know if anyone could suggest quality skin care products that reduce/ stop lines and contain amino-peptides (cute word hey!) green tea, coenzyme Q10, vitamin C and vitamin E - all of which are apparantly rich in antioxidants and recommended for prevention of lines.

Ive been looking and looking and am getting quite flustered. I would love some feedback before going out and spending a lot of $ on products that dont work!

Thank you for your time in reading this

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been looking to buy a similar product myself. I ran across an anti aging cream called Caracol Cream. It appears to be rich in anti oxidants and have allantoin and collagen in it but I have not ordered it yet. Might be worth a try I am thinking of ordering it myself.

#4 ·
Hey..

No need to worry. 33 is a time when the skin begins show signs of aging. Its but necessary that you keep your skin well moisturized and also take precautions against visible signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines.

What you need is Neocutis Bio-restorative Skin Cream. It is the first anti-aging moisturizer that contains PSP that reduces the signs of aging and also heals damaged skin. Use it to try it. It's definitely worth the effort.

Marilynn

#9 ·
I would suggest you use a glycolic acid face wash and toner on a daily basis. This takes care of proper exfoliation. Then use a good day cream-moisturizer, like Max All Day Moisture Defense SPF30, with Unwrinkle Eye and at night the Ultra Light Anti-Aging Cellular Repair. All these are from Peter Thomas Roth.

#12 ·
I have been using a product called "intensive super serum" from a clinic in Victoria BC
called "Glow Rescue". It has 7 or 8 different peptides including palmitoyl pentapeptide-3.
The great thing about this product is it does not contain any "filler" or extra chemical additives, just active ingredients. I tend to have problems with many of the department store products due to fragrance or chemical additives, so I was very pleased to find this product.

#14 ·
I agree that peptides, especially matrixyl, work well for your type of skin situation (similar to mine). I have used several peptide products over the last few years with the following results:

Derma-E Peptides Plus Serum: kinda like a lotion, rather than a serum. A little too oily for me plus they do not reveal their active ingredients concentration % so I have to assume it is not very high. Their packaging was a little cheesy also (but I know I should not care about that
)

DDF C3 Plus Serum: I like this brand in general, but this product mixed Vitamin C with peptides, which I didn't like. I prefer to keep these "different goal" products separate. They also did not reveal % concentration.

Physicians Complex Peptide Serum: Not bad overall. They did not list % concentration, but it seemed high according to the order it is listed in the ingredients list. One thing I did not like is that they use Matrixyl 3000 which I have read is not as good as regular Matrixyl. This product also seems to have a flowery fragrance, which I did not like. Their ingredient list did not ever mention "fragrance" but they had lots of "flower essence" and other stuff that probably resulted in the strong fragrance.

Isomers Matrixyl Wrinkle Defense Serum: This was my favorite for a long time. They nicely list the active concentration (8%) on the ingredients, which I appreciate. Also nice that they have not added fragrance at all. The only thing that bugged me for a while was the oily feeling of the serum. The number one ingredient is some sort of linseed oil, so I guess that was the culprit.

Serum Logic Prevene Concentrated Early Signs Serum: I am trying this one now as an alternative to Isomers. It has 10% concentration, so that's good. It also has a very simple ingredient list with no fragrance or alcohol. So far, I like the feeling of this serum a lot. It is totally non-oily. Will have to wait and see if this is the right one for me. Further study is required!

#15 ·
I think (considering you just stopped smoking) taking antioxidants internally is just as or MORE important than applying them topically to your skin - BTW I am thoroughly enjoying the results from PCA A&C serum.

Having a diet rich in anti-oxidants will help to slow damage from years of smoking. Eating servings of leafy greens, broccoli, beats, wheat grass, blueberries, red grapes, cherries, pomegranates (all -but broccoli-of which can be juiced) daily will help slow the signs of aging. They say shots of wheat grass will suppress cravings including the craving to smoke.
Congratulations on your HUGE lifestyle change! I know it must be challenging but keep up the great work!

#16 ·
"SOD (superoxide dismutase): An enzyme produced in the body that provides antioxidant defense against superoxide. Superoxide is a natural byproduct of toxic reactive oxygen species (ROS). SOD protects the cells from superoxide toxicity through antioxidant activity."
-Source: Japan Food Research Laboratories, 2008

So basically, the antioxidants listed on the graph cause the body to produce SOD....the more SOD produced, the better the the antioxidant works.

#18 ·
I came across a product line called "Eminence Organic Skin Care" -- (they have a web site). They have varied product lines designed for different skin/age groups. Also you don't have to spend a lot as they have a kit containing all products for the line you choose for under $60 (Includes serum, face cleanser, maske & two types of moisturizers). I particularly like the Wild Plum Eye Cream which also contains vitamin K. With cosmetics, unfortunately I've found it's trial and error. No matter how great the ingredients you may have a sensitivity to one. A good diet helps immensely.
dragonlilly -- I haven't heard of wheat grass.

#19 ·
Mari, you know eminence was fabulous about three or so years when it was truly cold compressed fruits and veggies, but they have since become rather tacky in texture with many addded in ingredients just check the label. The brand ilike has since bought the hungarian formula from eminence and now is the same product. At first I thought my aesthetician was full of dog doo and I continued to use eminece regardless of her information, but I have since changed to ilike and for the most part I am very happy with the products other than the fact that I must find an oil free moisturizer and unfortunately there is just no way around it.

#21 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm so confused about all these vitamins, peptides, antioxidants.....
I'm 25 and on a tight budget. I have been using olay night cream and day cream for a few years. I heard that it had won all these trials when put up against more pricey brands. After reading a lot of blogs I decided I should use something with vitamin c to help with past sun damage and acne marks. The cheapest one I can find that also got a few good reviews was avalon organics. It doesn't seem to be doing anything now but should I keep using it for the long term effects? Also I found rosehip oil at walmart...do I eat this or put it on my face lol?

#23 ·
Vitamin C: I have never heard of Avalon Organics before, so I can not comment on that particular brand. But I am can tell you from my experience (and some friends') that Vitamin C serums really do work.

The key is to get something with sufficient percentage of vitamin c and low or no oil. Once you have found the right formula, use it daily and stick with it for 3 months straight. Don't expect fast results and be suspicious of any brand that promises fast results; it is simply not scientifically possible.

But if you stick with it, after 3 months you will see some gradual results, then after another 3 months, you should able to see a clear difference.

Suggest you take a "before" photo so you have something to compare with 3 and 6 months later. Be sure to wear the exact same shirt/clothes and use the exact same lighting in the "before" and "after" pics in order to have a fair comparison.

Good luck!

#22 ·
I use juice beauty antioxidant serum, not sure how good it is, I've been using it for 2 days only, I stop smoking about 2 months ago and want to get my body inside and out to the best shape posible.

Juice beauty is all organic, so that works well for me.

I will post at a later date to let you know how I like it.

#29 ·
I'm using day cream and night cream for few months and already see that my skin tone is more even and clear ar never before. Night cream - is my favourite, my skin is dry, so I bought 'rich' version, which costs £150, when I put it on, straight away I feel its 'working'. You can get free samples from their website zelens.com, or spaceNK, try it and you'll see how is it before purchasing. Also their bestseller is triple action eye cream, but with all the ingredients it's a bit too harsh for my hypersensitive eye area. Try them and let me know! Good luck!

#28 ·
tinatina: what kind of results did you get with Isomers matrixyl wrinkle defense serum??

thanks
The good news is that I liked it for the Matrixyl and really felt it worked, i.e. I saw clear and step by step improvement. The bad news is that it is very oily. I sent emails to Isomers expressing hope for a non-oily formula; they gave some nice polite answers, but did not ever launch anything that fit my needs (I knew I was asking for a lot). So in the end, I switched to a less famous brand called Serum Logic. Now I use one of their serums called Prevene something something (long name). It has the same Matrixyl as Isomers but with a non-oily formula.

For the record, as you can see from my vit c post above, I am a little psycho about non-oily formulas. I really love them and now that I am getting accustomed to them, anything with more than a tiny amount of oil drives me crazy. I think avoiding oily products has really helped shrink my pores also. My skin is still naturally oily, but I feel it is much better balanced than before when I used oily products.

My final hope now is to find a non-oily UV product for the summer. So far, no luck. Maybe I should start a thread in spring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.