Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone tried any of the aniti aging pills like derma-silk or vitager or any other pill. Does it work? I

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I do not believe in them. I think they package an anti-oxidant mix with a few other herbs all of which are not in a proper strength to really make a difference. I prefer to take the supplements separately. The only medication I know of which is truly "anti-aging" is human growth hormone and even that has mixed reviews. Antioxidants will stave off free radical damage and can be applied to the skin or taken as supplements or better yet both but my personal opinion on these pills sold as anti-aging is that they are hype.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They won't let me post links, saying that I need to have 15 or more posts.
I guess drying to keep people from selling products.
I am thinking of Vitager or Dermasilk, the website pops up as soon as you type in in google. I tend to believe everything I read so I can use a good critique.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Good reminder Fawnie! I actually am on a strict salad, salmon and broccoli & spinach diet for repairing my skin at present!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fawnie, thanks for the links.
Some people really take a lot of vitamins.

Here is what I usually take:
Probiotic
Flax oil
Evening primrose oil with vitamin E
Fish Oil
Natures Sunshine Liver Cleanse (very gentle)
Natures Sunshine Chinese stress relief (helps me sleep)
Magnesium
Iron as needed

I know some of these are good for the skin I was hoping to find an all in one formula specifically for to prevent aging. I used to take perfect skin by genuine health and it made my skin more clear, but I am not too sure it will work to prevent aging.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I know...
I have been obsessed with antiaging lately. I eat healthy, work out, take vitamins.
I turned 30 last year, and my skin now is not what it used to be, I am starting to see line especially around my eyes, I really want to do something about it, I am not sure what.
I use derma-e skincare, but I am running out. I want to get something better this time. So I am trying to decide what to skin care to buy next, I don't mind spending money on it within reason, and I want it to be effective.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Nicole
The basics:
Retin-A 0.025% to 0.05% You don't need the high acne % for anti-ageing
Vitamin C serum - augments the Retin-A
Sunscreen - a heavyduty high spf/ppd one
Facial exercise and massage - yes it does work.
Gentle exfoliation with NCNProSkincare.com's microfiber cloth.
Good nutrition.

Anything else is secondary.
HTH and welcome! We are all searching for the Holy Grail, but in the meantime this works!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thanks fawnie,
Can you recommend any specific skin care lines.
Well, Retin-A is a prescription cream that is widely available. I buy mine online cheaply.

I make my own C+E ferulic serum for a fraction of what SkinCeuticals is asking.

Skincarecentral.biz has good sunscreens, as well as some other products that work.

Hope this helps! You don't need to spend a lot of money or use a lot of products if what you use works!

Nicole, here is some interesting reading that will make you an informed consumer of all the anti-ageing products out there and help you pick what is best:

http://www.smartskincare.com/aging/

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hey Nicole personally if i were you i would drop some of the supplements you are taking and add things like magnesium into your daily diet and may be replace these with anti aging tablets such as collegan etc!

I must also add that stressing about anti aging will not help the aging process!

Also if you have sensative skin you may not want to start on retin a and use a retinol cream to start with at least!

Always do a test patch before using anything on your face, and also you may want to start by introducing either retin a or vit c for a good 3 months before introducing the other products, these acid products do take some getting used to!

Good luck with it

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Lexi, That sounds like Perricone's diet! Any fruits??
Well it is a bit more varied so yes there are fruits. I eat a fiber bar, an activia and a banana for breakfast then usually will have a tuna salad or salad with prawns (shrimp) or with something for lunch (my salads are very healthy I put spinach, corn, raisins, garlic, onions and deep greens and sprouts in them) and then dinner is almost always salmon cooked some way with broccoli, spinach sometimes brussel sprouts and always a side salad. I then eat dessert which is an activia mixed with strawberried, blueberries, bananas or other seasonal fruits. I also drink about 3 smoothies a day which I make in the morning all are a fruit and vegetable mix of carrots, spinach, acaia berry, blueberries, raspberries and various fruits and vegetables in addition to these staples when I have them. I also drink a full 8.0z glass of water every hour.

What is Pericone's diet? I would be interested to compare notes I will have to ask her.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
OMG--That is amazing! I just always knew to avoid sugars and eat a lot of fiber, vitamin rich vegetables, fatty fish etc. I am quite happy to have this link!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fawnie, thanks for the recommendations.

I read Dr. Perricone's book. It makes a lot of sense. He recommend a low glycemic diet.
Avoiding sweets or sweet fruits, starchy grains and red meat. He recommends fish, green vegetable, berries, low glycemic carbs like oatmeal. The book has a lot of detailed explanations.
I follow his diet, not a 100% but close enough. I do eat some starches and I don't eat every 3-4 hour like he recommends. I think any diet should be modified to fit the person. I think it is a good book overall.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I think any diet should be modified to fit the person.
Yes Nicole, I think that's true too. Why make yourself miserable if you crave a bite of chocolate now and then! Just don't eat the whole box.

Dr Perricone even has his daughter eating salmon for breakfast, he says. That's more than I could stand, but she sure has every advantage for a lovely complexion and good health. If you look at Dr Perricone's skin, it does appear to be glowing (at least on the bookcovers). He looks like a frog to me, but a healthy glowing one!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree a healthy glowing frog. You make me laugh!

I bough an antiaging/skin supplement today. Healthy skin with greens by genuine health. I took this one before, it is chocolate flavour powder, it taste great with a smoothie. I am not expecting anything dramatic with it, I was taking it last year and my skin was a little more clear. It also contains fish collagen, so that should be good for wrinkles.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That one sounds good Nicole! It has to be something you like after all!
Yes, fish collagen has a loyal following so let us know what you think it does for you. And drink lots of fluids!

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts