Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly go to the gym every morning 5-6x a week and have very good cardio endurance but I am really struggling with building muscle and strengthening my core. I know girls generally have lower upper body strength but I really can't seem to build mine up. My back and my legs are quite strong but my arms are just so weak.. it's really really frustrating
I want to get some tone to my arms but it feels impossible when I can barely do a certain amount of reps or weight without wanting to give up. I have a hard time building muscle and I lose it very easily.. don't know why that is or if it's that way for all girls.

I would like to eventually take up a hobby like Jiu Jitzu, Judo, or Muay Thai.. learn some self-defense techniques and keep my mind clear and focused. However a big part of this is having core and muscle strength so if anyone has tips on improving overall (and especially upper body) strength, I would greatly appreciate it

Also does anyone have any recommendations on good gym or fitness forums?

Some stats/details about myself:

I'm about 5'1 and 103-105 lbs
I'm small-framed (meaning my bone size/width is small too)
My lower half is relatively thicker than my upper half (more weight around my butt/hips/thighs than my stomach/ribs)
My shoulders/upper back are well-proportioned with my hips (and aren't sloped..in case that affects strength)
I'm pretty flexible

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
karilanson the easiest way to build upper body strength is doing push ups. You can modify them if you need too, but start out by doing 10. Form is important so know exactly how your form should be. Once you can do 10 then slowly increase this number. Modified version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaIpD_zfrJI Same thing with your triceps, do tricep pushups. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfIQ5V4Tcgo

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
Definitely seems like a good way to start! I just wish they were more 'appealing' to do.. Lol. Thanks gymmie! :)
Oh no doubt they suck ;), but............they WORK!! You will be surprised how few you will be able to do in the beginning but over time you will be amazed at how many more you are able to do. So do stick with it!! Do them till your arms shake that's when you know your muscles are fatigued! :thumbsup: And always stretch stretch stretch when you are finished. This will help you from getting sore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts