Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if anyone has had success with natural lightening/whitening creams.. Is it possible to lighten skin a few shades with a natural product?? Please name the products you are using and how they worked for you, thanks !!

Im wanting to discontinue use of HQ because of its links to cancer..

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There has never been a single documented case of a human being developping cancer from HQ when used within safe doses (10% or less). The study was done in lab rats that were given over 200 times the safe dosages over a greatly extended time. Almost anything would have adverse effects in such elevated doses.

As for natural lightening, some people are using:
Arbutin, kojic acid, licorice extract, bearberry extract, topical vitamin A or C. The first 2 can give good results.

·
Registered
110 Posts
well I'm using clinique even better because some people on utube said it works well. So far no results but I just bought it last week. My friend uses Rx for brown skin and she said that works well with evening and getting rid of discoloration. I think im gonna try that next. ALso, many people get great results with likas soap and sw+ss soap. I'm not sure what ur goal is, but u could give those a try.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am currently using a natural skin whitener. So far I have had good results. I am currently using the 10x Intense Skin Whitening Cream mixed w/ Retin A from Tonique and the soap from them too but, only when I remember. I have to say I haven't been using it consistently these days because I have been so busy and tend to forget but, when I was using it everyday twice a day I lightened considerably but, I also stayed out of the sun. Now that it is starting to get cold again and things are slowing down for me I am going to try to apply more consistently.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Im wondering if anyone has had success with natural lightening/whitening creams.. Is it possible to lighten skin a few shades with a natural product?? Please name the products you are using and how they worked for you, thanks !!

Im wanting to discontinue use of HQ because of its links to cancer..
It really depends what you mean by "shade". If you can post pictures of what your current colour is, and what you want your colour to be, we can probably give you more accurate advice.

EDIT: And like Ondine said, there isn't really much evidence that HQ will give you cancer. Too much of anything is bad for you. Even water.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Mine is natural as well, not that im condoning HQ. Im currently on GLUTA C. Arbutin, kojic, tretinoin and vit c. So far so good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The whole Tonique thing is a bit off in my opinion. I know people will say that oh TWO users have had results from it, but really I would have thought more people would be able to give a review.
I'm saying this because I don't consider it a 'natural' skin lightener. If it was, I would be able to access a full list of ingredients.
Natural skin lighteners run the range from acids-usually deriving from fruit or milk (lactic acid). Peels in themselves as well, but I don't know how many shade lighter your skin would get with that on its own. Exfoliation as well.

I agree with you, regardless of if it's been proven to cause cancer or not, any artificial chemical formulation is not something you want to use on your skin for a long time.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
jinxie i think thats because the reviewers who are currently using wont post their results until they have used the product for a while. to ascertain and gauge properly. when they post they wont be biassed but objective which is why so many people on this forum respect their research.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree that it is important that we wait for reviews. I remember when bio claire was first being discussed people were really happy with results and it was only till later that there were reports of stretch marks and skin thinning etc due to the steroid content that had not been stated. Some people had no problems, but it was good to see an all rounded view of it. Hopefully tonique will prove to be one of the better products.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Are there any natural skin lighteners that are able to lighten the whole body including the face 4-5 shades lighter? and with the possibility to maintain? it seems as though the ones that are mostly "natural" will cost the price of what you'll pay for a monthly apartment.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
With some products (like RA) adverse reactions typically manifest sooner rather than later. With many of the dodgier 'miracle' so-called bleaching creams, users DO experience what looks like a lot of lightening right away so they are fast to yelp about how well the cream 'is working'. The negative effects (thinning skin, breakdown in skin's supportive structures, blotches, break-outs, systemic problems) often don't show until much later on. By then, many people who've been using a product for months or years thinking that they were getting only benefits, do not realize that the cream they're using is the cause of their problems so they keep using it. Eventually, they wind up at Derm's office with sometimes irreversible damage. Mfgr's of these creams are unethical; not stupid. They know their product has to appear to work for long enough that word of mouth spreads & people post their B4 & after images with their steroid/mercury lightened skin. Sales really surge from these initial false positives esp as people tell friends & relatives to try it. By the time enough people begin to show damage & then catch on that the cream caused it, the mfgr is often long gone with people's $$$.

This is why it is vital to know everything that is in the cream. Sure it may say 2% HQ....but what is all the other stuff in there? When a new product emerges touting a new ingredient (like SW) we go directly to the science, patents & safety/research results. Naturally, we've made mistakes B4, but we're quick to correct any errors & there's always someone here who'll hit Google Science or a medical library & double check. This is what differentiates this forum from many others where people just post anecdotes about their 'sister's boss' girlfriend's 3rd cousin'. We DO share personal experiences BUT this is counterbalanced with factual info. This place & the contributors here have saved each other's skins; literally.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
that is all so true. dodgy companes pouring things in there product that do not belong long enough to make sales and leave before many begin to complain about the bad side effects.

Can alpha arbutin really lighten a brown person's skin about 3 or 4 shades along with retin-a? or will it need something else to help boost results?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Makari is notorious for this too: people report lightening & brightening initially, then come here upset over severe acne & discolouration. By then it is also too late to return the product for a refund.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
what do you think is really giving the lightening in makari's other products such as the day and night cream that doesnt contain caviar?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've never bought the stuff myself (scared off by the reviews I read here!). As for what it contains, the mfgr's claims re contents & effects (vague, as always!) are readily accessible. It would take testing in a lab to truly confirm what is in it. Claims of 'caviar' & a really pretty jar dupes people into spending for this stuff. Also, they're good at implying that their product is 'natural' & that 'natural' means effective, good & safe. Many lethal poisons are 'natrual' & all natural ingredients have a chemical structure.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I know that mulberry root, licorice, arbutin, and aha acids were in it. but when i had used it, it lightened me up real quick and I didnt know just these could lighten skin up so fast as in the 1st week and really the 2nd week. Yeah, it would be a good idea to get it tested.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used makari too.... the 1st time i used it i got dramatic results.. i was so happy.. i had read b4 tht ppl. had bad breakouts but i was not concerned because my skin was never tht oily..... i never got any bad breakouts... thn one day i had like 6 breakouts! out of nowhere.... i used proactiv and used makari on and off... the effects seemed to dissapear after awhile...i stopped using it... even while using it my skin was always oily ... last year i decided to try it again..blew another 300 bucks... again got dramatic results ... after using it for 3 1/2 mnths i started to get really bad breakouts... everyday i wud get one zit on my face ... it came to a point where my entire face was covered... i was horrified... i never had so many breakouts... it was honestly the most depressing part of my life... and my face got really dark too... after 3 mnths of suffering i finally got rid of it by using hydrogen peroxide... i was left with massive hyperpigmentation all over my face... i had to use heavy makeup for the first time in my life to cover all the marks... i struggled to get rid of the dark marks for 4 mnths... i spent lots of money on crappy stuff.. nothin wrked till i stumbld on this site and read abt onidine using hq/ra combo... i had a very negative view abt hydroquinone but decided to use it anyways cause i was desperate... the best decision i ever made... i used it with retin a and my skin had improved dramatically ..... i wud say 80-90percent of my marks have gone... and my skin looks healthy... i havent reached my skin lightening goal yet but definitely reached my goal of gettin my skin in proper shape.... i dnt have to wear any makeup rite now... and it feels great
its funny how in my quest to get lighter skin naturally i damaged it severely.... this board has taught me the importance of doing research and not being ignorant... now im motivated to make my own cream using the actives frm makari...
and i also very careful as to what i use on my skin now... i have become aware.. knowledge is power..lol

i am not here to bash this product... i just dnt want anyone to go thru wat i went thru...
sum ppl. have had success with makari but they must have really resilient skin ... i think makari has so many different pore clogging ingredients tht ur skin never has a chance to breathe... thts why u jst breakout all of a sudden and all over the place... all the dirst and grime is jst trapped.... also the lightening is temporary... and if u stop using it u get dark like the very next day

u can replicate the lightening effects without all the fancy packaging, pore clogging ingredients and temporary lightening effects.. jst my two cents

1 - 20 of 41 Posts