Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to reverse premature graying of hair? I mean when hair starts graying when one is in one?s thirties. My dermatologist said I needed more protein and she prescribed some protein capsules and told me to take yoghurt every day.

But measures like these don?t reverse graying. Is there any vitamin or mineral that makes white hair black again? I'm already taking a multivitamin and mineral capsule and also a vitamin B capsule. I read in one of the topics here about vitamins specifically for the hair and skin, so i wondered...

I have started eating (raw) spinach every day in the hopes that the vitamin A will do great things for my skin and hair. Is there any other food packed with good stuff that will help the skin and hair?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Maybe it's genetic. If that's the case, then there's really nothing you can do.

Are you properly caring for your hair?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I do nothing special for my hair but then I have done nothing specially destructive to it either. I never blow-dry or dye it. I have never used any chemicals on my hair. It?s naturally thick and wavy, so I?ve never bothered to use any products on it. I?ve always thought it looked ok just on its own. or maybe I?m just vain.

Anyway I just use shampoo. I suspect the many different shampoos I?ve tried may be partly responsible for the graying. Since my hair is very oily I?ve often used harsh shampoos.

Maybe I should ask this question in a whole new thread, but: is there any natural product one can use as shampoo? A hairdresser suggested to me I could use fuller?s earth. Just make it into a paste and rub on my hair and then wash out. Haven?t tried it yet. I think it could be ok for me since I have such oily hair that I guess I don?t have to worry the Fuller?s earth will dry it out too much. Still, I hesitate to use such a product all the time. In summer I wash my hair every second day and in winter every third or fourth day, so I doubt it?s a good idea to use Fuller?s earth this often.

I know there are some shampoos you can make at home but I?m not willing to try anything where you have to boil products etc. I?m not willing to take on the headache of buying various oils and mixing and boiling them. most of them aren?t even available where I live.

I?m looking out for some simple, readymade or easy to make products that I can make into a shampoo. A nice mild shampoo without harmful chemicals in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I remember reading a post by a woman (apologies, can no longer remember details) about rosemary. She either said something about making her own rosemary spray that she put in her hair, or a rosemary shampoo she made herself that reversed the graying in her hair.

I "want" to say this was over at the pioneer thinking website, but don't hold me to that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As vtoodler said, if it is due to genetics there is no way to reverse the greying process.
I started going grey in my early 20s & dyed my hair for 10 years but got sick of the cost of doing that. I researched ways to stop the greying process but as my was genetic there was nothing to do. No food, vitamin & mineral, natural or chemical therapy was going to stop it.
I am now in my early 40s & my hair is now a shimmering silver colour. My skin tone had to adjust naturally to the greying process as well.
I wish you much luck in your search for an answer but you may just have to dye or highlight your hair.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I guess there must be some ways to reverse premature greying. I suffer from this problem myself!

I have read that some yoga postures may help.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I remember reading a post by a woman (apologies, can no longer remember details) about rosemary. She either said something about making her own rosemary spray that she put in her hair, or a rosemary shampoo she made herself that reversed the graying in her hair.

I "want" to say this was over at the pioneer thinking website, but don't hold me to that.
I think I saw an article on this rosemary spray. I am always on the search for home remedies to get rid of my greys. In the article, people were making a strong tea of sage and rosemary and then spraying it daily over months to colour the greys brown. The more they stick to this regimen, the darker the colour becomes from what I have read. Have not tried it yet but would love to hear from those who have.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Scroll down to "Hannah's Notes". In December Skinactives is releasing a product they claim may prevent the formation of new grey hair. They don't promise that it will reverse grey that is already there tho.

News

Does this look promising?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Scroll down to "Hannah's Notes". In December Skinactives is releasing a product they claim may prevent the formation of new grey hair. They don't promise that it will reverse grey that is already there tho.
Wow. That looks very interesting!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

News

Does this look promising?
Cheers, Fawnie. It does look very promising!

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you look through old posts there are a few posts about preventing and reversing gray gray hair. I think one is the Stevia post which I think I might have posted about the hair and also in the "fun skincare" posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was lucky: both my parents had hair that remained dark until they were in their 70's. I am 80 this year and have a few grey strands at the front otherwise it is still the same mousy brown I had as a child.

My grandmother advocated sage as a rinse and it does have darkening qualities. She used to make me rub the leaves on my teeth and gums as we walked around her garden. Never thought to question why teeth didn't darken, but they didn't , and I still have mine!! :O)

Rosemary, we used as a rinse. This gave hair a nice shine and a great perfume.

I am also a great believer in cider vinegar and honey, as a drink. and cider vinegar on its own as a hair rinse.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think it's worth giving all these remedies a try. It's very individual when hair starts to grey, but to me it looks like it's hereditary. I remember everybody talked about my great aunts hair on her 80's birthday. She didn't have a single grey hair, she had lots of dark hair. However when she was 86 she complained her hair was become grey. Most in my family that was around 50 at the time had more grey hair than she. Her sister and brother kept their colour to a high age too. My grand father (her brother) died with about 6 grey hairs at the age of 74.

When they where young they used to rinse their here in camomile tea, juniper infusions and rosemary infusions. I don't think they had conditioners. I think they sometimes used to massage olive oil into their hair and scalp before shampooing.

If you are into Chinese medicine and acupuncture, they say hair growth and colour depends on your kidney energy. You need to strengthen it ;-)

·
Registered
679 Posts
diana, i don't think there is a way to reverse graying. what is your natural color of hair? if it is really dark you could use a simple coloring that washes out. like clairol nice and easy. try to match your shade. i had dark blonde hair so i used the loreal wash out color thing. i think a lot of people start to get grey in their 30's. i am gray now but i am 60. i just let it go. my boss starting going gray at 24 and now he is 42 and all gray. he looks great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,

I started noticing grey hair in my 20's.
I found a link on grey hair treatment. I think I got it from someone on here but I can't remember. Apologies, I'd say who it was if I could remember or where I got it from.

I had a read a few days ago, this is what I found most interesting, however it doesn't apply to everyone:

Quote: Originally Posted by

PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid) is often referred to as vitamin BX or B10 and it is believed to be an anti-aging and anti-grey hair vitamin. Some research claims that PABA combined with folic acid helps restore hair to its original colour.

FOLIC ACID is another member from the group of vitamins B (B9) and it is believed to be essential in maintaining and restoring the original hair colour.

Both, PABA and folic acid are frequent components of generic, grey hair cures. An average healthy person is unlikely to register a change in the colour of their hair as a result of the extra intake of these two vitamins. Their administration can only be beneficial in rare, grey hair conditions caused by the deficiency of any of these two vitamins.

I can't post the link until I've made 15 posts or more.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is worth trying some supplements out, especially the b vits, as they are known to help hair thinning and prevent greying -especially BIOTIN, I am sure there are posts on here that talk about this, I will try and find them.
I am not sure you can reverse greying, but preventing it is the best option, but we can't control our genes.

·
Registered
550 Posts

I've also read about rosemary.
You should google essential oils/gray hair and see what results come up. As you read the posts soon you should start to see the same ingredients listed. Those ingredients are want you need to research.

·
Registered
550 Posts
While doing some research on Herbs I found in numerous locations that
Stinging Nettle can be used as a Natural hair growth treatment
and also to bring back natural hair color.
Make a Hair Tonic with Stinging Nettle in a spray bottle.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks LordM. I am going to look up stinging nettle benefits against premature greying.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts