Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a little on idebenone, dermatologist seem to love its anti-oxidant/anti-aging properties. Just wondering if anyone has tried or heard about someone trying it and if it has worked for them. Thanks :)

-K

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Kayla,
I've used Prevage MD, the highest strength of idebenone which is an anti-oxidant, sold in Drs offices. I think they push it because it's made by Allergan, who supplies them with Botox and Restylane. It can be very irritating to some ppl, even causing bad rashes in some.

I didn't think it was all that...I use my vitamin C serum and get better results as far as skin smoothing. It's one of those "Emperor's New Clothes" products that are marketed as "protectors", so we don't know if it works til later....
I wouldn't waste my money and repurchase; there are plenty of anti-oxidants out there that are cheaper.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
SkinCeuticals and Cell-ex make the most stable formulas, but if you want the freshest and purest, you can make your own for a fraction of the cost of the others. It isn't rocket science - you just add the ascorbic acid crystals to the distilled water in a 1:2 ratio and store in the fridg!

The problem with C serums is that they start to oxidize so fast after you open the bottle. Once they are oxidized they do your skin more harm than good. I buy my raw ingred from either www.gardenofwisdom.com or The Personal Formulator - Your Ingredient Supplier for Handcrafted Personal Care Products. Very reasonable and you can make enough to share!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used it for many months, and all I got was acne and irritation. It did nothing for my skin at all. Used Prevage. I now am spending more money to get my skin back to health. Not sure if it was the sole reason, since I also had many hormonal shifts after pregnancy, but my skin is definitely better since microdermabrasion and shifting to another product.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have! And I love it! I use the over-the-beauty counter formula found in Elizabeth Arden's Prevage line. Which is a milder version of the Prevage MD that you can only get from your doctor. It is also distributed by Allergan.
Idebenone is one of the most powerful antioxidants out there. I think coffee berry is the only one that tops it.
Prevage MD only has 0.5% more idebenone than what you get over the counter and the results aren't significant enough to make up for the heftier price tag.
I used the Prevage serum under my sunscreen when I lived in New Zealand last year. The ozone layer is thinner there so, you burn faster but, I actually came back with better skin than I left with!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts