Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these white spots on my stomach that are itchy and have no pigment. After doing some research I think it maybe Tinea Versicolor.
Anyone familar with Tinea Versicolor?

Below is some information I found on Tinea Versicolor and Attached is a picture that was posted on the website that looks similar to my stomach:

Tinea Versicolor
This fungus infection of the skin commonly affects young people and is visible on the chest, back, upper arms, and legs. The fungus produces spots which are either lighter than the skin surrounding it, or a reddish brown color. The fungus may become more visible because of high humidity and immune or hormone abnormalities. I guess "high humidity" is where New Jersey fits in. Tinea Versicolor is very common and is not contagious. It can be treated using anti fungal agents, shampoo, or pills prescribed by a doctor. Over the counter anti fungal medications include clotrimazole and miconazole, which should be applied twice a day for 10-15 days. Unfortunately these anti fungal remedies often come in small tubes and are hard to apply to large areas. An easier, more common treatment is shampoo containing selenium sulfide. Selsun Blue contains 1%. I checked out the store brands, and they contained a bit more. These should be applied to the scalp and also the skin. The easiest solution is obviously prescription medication provided by your doctor. Unfortunately some of us still survive without medical insurance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My sister had something very similar happen on her shoulders and back. I think you're right, from what I can remember it was some type of fungus. Her doctor prescribed something and the spots went away after a month or so. It might be worth a shot to try some of the OTC products you mentioned. Worse case, if it doesn't work then you'll have to bite the bullet and see the doc.

ps. the picture worked

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. Tinea Versicolor is a fungal type of skin condition. My breakouts occur randomly and are treated with a selenium sulfide skin lotion prescribed by my doctor. OTC remedies like shampoos containing selenium sulfide are not as effective as the prescription lotion. Since I live in south Florida, where it is very hot & humid 10 months out of 12, this is a very common type of problem. On fair skinned people, the patches may be rosy colored. On tanned skin, they could appear white. Often the spots are itchy but not enough to drive you crazy. In my opinion, this fungus is mostly a cosmetic eyesore....especially when wearing a tank top or bathing suit. A small price to pay for not having to shovel snow in the winter !!!!! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little Update...

A good Friend of mine said she went to the doctor and was diagnosed with this skin condition, she said that they doctor told her to go buy "Head and Shoulders" shampoo. She said that the doctor told her dandruff like Tinea Versicolor is a fungus and that washing with the infected area with this shampoo for 5 min every day would take care of the fungus.

She said it took a couple weeks to notice the difference and that the first couple of days she would let the shampoo soak in for 15 minutes.

I've have been washing with this shampoo for almost a week and am waiting to notice a difference. I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have this shitty condition. I have had it for a year. Is there anyone out there with updated info on what really works?! I was diagnosed with it about 4 months after having symptoms. I used ketoconazole cream and the same shampoo, and although i believe the fungus is gone the skin color never went back to normal. The meds dried the skin area out so badly, im left with these dry looking scaly patches that look like stretch marks from far away. Im a lighter brown skinned black female and i got it on my chest between my breasts. It actually caused my skin to get darker. I have been using a lactic acid peel on it hoping that would remove the top layers of skin until i peel it away, but its still there. Here i am a full year later and it still pretty much looks the same, just not as dark. I hate it! I cant wear low cut shirts, hell i cant even wear a normal shirt without it showing some. It's sad bc it seems like there are not many studies out there done to really do more that treat tinea versicolor, but to actually help heal it. So, i guess i'll continue peeling the skin, applying the non working meds and try to bleach the skin. I feel like crying just thinking about it:( oh yeah and i cant goto the doctor bc im on student insurance which doesnt cover ****. I cant afford 200 visit plus! Also im a fashion major so i love clothing and it sucks that i cant wear anyrhing but fully covered shirts and turtle necks. I have tried covering with makeup as well and nothing works. Soooo sad:(

·
Registered
239 Posts
@Supermodel01, I also have tinea versicolor on my chest and all over my back. It's not attractive at all and I avoid clothing that expose the infection. I wad prescribed an antibiotic by my dermatologist which killed the fungus, but the spots remain. I don't know what to apply to the area to improve my skin's appearance. #sodepressing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts