Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when Retinol was first advertised. It could only be obtained with a doctor's prescription. I saw amazing results when a friend decided to try it. It did not take long before she looked 25 instead of 45. I'm not exaggerating. This woman was lovely, but she had a face full of wrinkles. She was blond and a sun worshiper even then. I don't want to go to a physician as it is costly. Since over 15 years have passed I am hoping a non-prescription product, with a truly effective amount or Retinol A, might now be on the market. If there are such serums available, is there a number to indicate the amount of Retinol they contain? Thank you for any advise or suggestions. Deja

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi personally i would of thought if you are just starting off on a ret product you should start off on a very low amount and then build this up slowly otheriwse you may get very bad purging! I know with me i have started off on the Green Cream and then will slowly move onto to a ret product when i feel comfortable with the this!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I suggest buying the best and that would be tretinoin (retina-a)
Can be bought online overseas without a RX. Best place I've seen as far as prices go is here. Tretinoin by alldaychemist.com specilizes in prescriptions drugs Buy several tubes as the shipping cost is high but will balance out with several tubes ordered. 7 tubes ordered cost me around $5 and change per tube. Includung shipping. Extremely hard to beat that.
I suggest buying both the .025% and .05% gel and start slowly to help minimize side effects. Maybe 2- 3 times a week to start. Search around here as there is plenty of info. about retin-a. http://www.medsmex.com/store/home.ph...ction=0&page=2 is also a great place to order from.

Topical Skin Rejuvenation Treatments

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I will also add that I ordered some 0.1% gel from alldaychemist and lets's just say never again.
I was using it every night on my face/neck/hands for a few nights and I turned into a lobster.
I'm just now almost fully recovered.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Baby, don't throw it away though! You can still mix it with an emollient, such as Eucerin, and voila! it becomes Renova! Just keep changing the ratio of RA to emollient as you become less sensitive to it.

You aren't crazy though - I've read that others found ADC's RA stronger than others' formulae.

I like Retin-A Micro myself. I always had the lobster reaction to RA before as well, but am tolerating the 0.04% RAM nicely! It's a great way to start out with a retinoid IMO. I got it here: (but you do need an Rx. They are completely trustworthy and I never had any problem using my USA CC with them.)

Buy Retin-A Micro Gel from Canada Drug Superstore

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Baby, don't throw it away though! You can still mix it with an emollient, such as Eucerin, and voila! it becomes Renova! Just keep changing the ratio of RA to emollient as you become less sensitive to it.

You aren't crazy though - I've read that others found ADC's RA stronger than others' formulae.

I like Retin-A Micro myself. I always had the lobster reaction to RA before as well, but am tolerating the 0.04% RAM nicely! It's a great way to start out with a retinoid IMO. I got it here: (but you do need an Rx. They are completely trustworthy and I never had any problem using my USA CC with them.)

Buy Retin-A Micro Gel from Canada Drug Superstore
Whoa.....thanks for the tip

Let's see that's at least 4 great tips I've learned from you......#1 microfiber cloth, #2 facial exercises (I actually knew about them but you pushed me over the edge
)
#3 PH levels while using acids. #4 Just mentioned

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hmmm I doubt I could use Retin-A --- after several weeks using a 8% glycolic acid cream it still stings a lot. What do you think of mandelic and malic acids? Lactic acid?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hmmm I doubt I could use Retin-A --- after several weeks using a 8% glycolic acid cream it still stings a lot. What do you think of mandelic and malic acids? Lactic acid?
Mari, well personally I have never used mandelic and malic acids (MaMa lotion) but some ppl like it. I did use glycolic acid products (Vivite') and noticed a nice smoothing effect. But you know, everyone has their favorites and what works best for them. I like retinoic acid (Retin-A) and find Retin-A Micro works best for me. It doesn't peel me or make me red, but smooths the skin out.

Lactic acid was Cleopatra's best friend!! Milk baths.

Alpha-hydroxy acids and skin rejuvenation

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
But to answer the original question as to which OTC retinol product is the strongest:

"Bottom line
Despite the increasing availability of products containing various forms of vitamin A (retinoids precursors), retinoic acid a.k.a. tretinoin still offers a better chance of anti-wrinkle effects because its activity does not depend on conversion rates and other variables. Among retinoids precursors, retinaldehyde is the nearest (on metabolic pathway) to retinoic acid and is likely to match its benefits more closely. However, well-designed products containing retinol and/or retinyl palmitate provide an additional alternative that may be cheaper and, at least for some people, less irritating.

A retinoic acid (tretinoin) user who has developed side-effects, such as skin irritation and/or chronic peeling, may first try to reduce the concentration or frequency of application. Then she might try a retinaldehyde product. If that fails, a well-selected retinol/retinyl palmitate product may be worth a try. (Caution: neither directly-acting retinoids nor any forms of vitamin A should be used in the event of continuing chronic side-effects.) For more on pros, cons and practical use of retinoids and various forms of vitamin A, see Skin Rejuvenation Infopack."

Reducing wrinkles with retinol and retinyl palmitate

It isn't an easy question. You still have to read labels or research ingredients online I guess.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Mari personally i have found that the Green Cream has irrated my skin at all, but obviously everyone skin is different so dont know if you will react different to me, however jason and janson becketts alpha derma products looked good to me but however not sure if anyone has used there stuff when tryed to find out about it on the forum!

·
Registered
958 Posts
How does idebenone and CoQ10 compare to the retins? What we get in the stores are not even close to what they used in the promising tests. Prevage is really expensive in the long run so it has to be a DIY project, at least for me.

·
Registered
958 Posts
They are all acids, but still very different substanses. How you will react is difficult to predict, you just have to try and see how it turns out. I believe lactic is the hydroxy acid with the least iritatition and well worth trying (well, salicylic too, but that one is drying). I like lactic acid best as a fairly strong peel once or twice a week. The hydroxy peels will all ways sting, and slight redness for half to one hour or so after, should not be much more than lightly flushed. I have not tried the mandelic acid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am confused about the Retinol, where I can buy this in the UK and is this the ingredient you find in ROC etc?

I need something for fine lines around the eyes!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts