Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I myself am not a licensed cosmetologist, my mother is and a d*mn good one at that. She's been doing it ever since she was in high school and some 18/19 years later shes still working hard. I practically lived in the shop (salon) seeing as how often I got my hair done. So I've seen and even helped out a bit. I've done almost everything imaginable to my hair except for perming it. (I don't want curly hair when I was born with it!) If you can give me a description of your hair, hair type, and its condition, I'm sure I can help!
Oh, and if you live here in Texas anywhere near the Houston/Sugarland/Missouri City/Stafford area, I could recommend you to my mom's shop. I know I'm kind of advertising here but my mom does wonders on hair. Literally! I know from personal experience.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ooo I have cousins in Houston. What is the shop called? I can tell them to go check it out.

Btw, that image in your post is showing up twice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what can you recommend for knots? most days by about noon my hair is so tangled it looks like I have dread locks underneath my hair. it's really gross and painful to fingercomb out

not to mention I'm really concerned about the damage I'm causing to my hair. I don't heat style my hair (except for my stupid bangs) and I wash it a few times a week

I know this isn't technially a ""hair styling" question but I'm getting annoyed

·
Registered
357 Posts
what can you recommend for knots? most days by about noon my hair is so tangled it looks like I have dread locks underneath my hair. it's really gross and painful to fingercomb out

not to mention I'm really concerned about the damage I'm causing to my hair. I don't heat style my hair (except for my stupid bangs) and I wash it a few times a week

I know this isn't technially a ""hair styling" question but I'm getting annoyed
what conditioner are you using?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, what conditioner and shampoo? Hopefully a really moisterizing one. You could try 'The Detangler' by Paul Mitchell or look for one that helps w/ tangled hair. But knots? I know my hair tangles 24/7 but whew! I always keep a brush or small comb w/ me when that happens. Buy products that you can apply to your hair after it is washed. They have sooo many! Leave in conditioners, detanglers, spilt end menders, etc.

Oh! If you need your ends trimmed, your hair tangles more at the ends. Try getting it trimmed and see how much it helps. Aldo, if its dirty, it tangles more. But if you have really curlyhair, of course its gonna tangle. That's why I straighten mines so often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well right now I am using Burts Bees moisture shampoo and conditioner. I try to avoid products with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate

I did just buy Sunsilk conditioner treatment. I worry about weighing my hair down and it feeling too heavy. I do like to have some volume

I do need to find a good conditioner that will help. I know it's creating more of a challenge for me, but I'm hoping once my bangs grow a bit more I can stop washing my hair every other day

·
Registered
360 Posts
oh i notice my hair gets tangled and feels thicker when i dont blow dry it but when i blowdry it its smooth and tangle free all day whether or not i use a brush! so.... do you blowdry?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I agree with martha. I really don't see how it could get that tangled! Just always keep a brush w/ you when its windy and get split ends trimmed. I know my hair tangles all the time, that's why I always keep a trusty brush w/ me or tie it up when windy.

starlite, that's bcuz the heat from the blowdryer is taming your hair in a way. In other words, it smooths the cuticles of the hair. Therefore making hair sleeker and less prone to tangles. When you let it airdry, it dries any sorta way with sometimes raised cuticles making the hair tangle more. Thats why its thicker when you don't blowdry it. Just like a flatiron. The heat helps to smooth the cuticles making the hair smoother. Hope I explained it alright.

I blowdry from time to time when I feel like it. When I don't its frizzy and does tangle more... So most of the time I sit under a hair dryer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do move around a bit during the day (I tend to run from one part of the office to another to deliver things and talk to people)

I don't use a blow dryer for a few reasons. I don't want to damage my hair with heat. with my hair being the length it is, it takes a long time. I've developed knots in my back from frequent blow drying

I am trying to keep my hair healthy. since my goal is to grow my hair to my waist by my mom's wedding (May of 2007) I'm being really picky about what I do to my hair and stuff I use on it

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Instead of using a blow dryer you could try sitting under one of those dryers they have in salons. Those aren't as damaging as the high heat of a blow dryer. You're not going to kill your hair by using a blow dryer every now and then if you are using products to keep your hair healthy. That's what reconstructors and deep conditioners are for. I know what you mean by knots in the back, my arms hurt too if I blow dry. So, I get my mom to do it. But seriously, blow drying is not gonna prevent it from growing. If your hair is gonna grow, it'll grow.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
dai, I have a question: So, I'm REALLY dark-complexioned, but I'm nonetheless thinking of getting highlights. I was wondering whether you think that it's a good idea for me to get highlights? If so, what colors do you think would look good? I'm thinking of getting either dark red or dark brown and just a little bit of them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, anyone can get highlights to jazz up their hair. The colors you mentioned are good. Don't try to go too light at first. See how you look with just a few before going all over heavy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a thin hair for that i can not keep them so long did any hair oil thick my hair. I have heard about castor oil. Is this oil helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
actually my hairs r falling rapidly, i dnt knw d reason y???
i shampoo dem daily aftr massaging.
pl help how can i gain dem backkk..
home tips or medicine...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Okay, now I've gotta questions. I was recently told that the hair must breathe to grow
. I was told that the ends (healthy or dead) must be clipped so that the hair can breathe, and that this will helps in the growth process.
I understand the following.
  1. Hair grows from the scalp
  2. Ends should be clipped to remove dead ends or prevent split ends from splitting up the shaft
  3. Often people-of-color hair breaks so often till they think their hair's not growing, when in fact (again) the growth takes place from the scalp, the length is *influenced by the maintenance proceedures.
But n-e-v-e-r before (40+ years) have I heard the ends, help the hair breathe and grow. Am I confused or what?

·
Registered
7 Posts
how to make hair thicker
& also my hair are getting grey
suggest the remedies & ways
& also suggest the best diet for healthy hair

1 - 20 of 26 Posts