Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering if Vitamin C serum would be as effective if applied after moisturizer instead of before? My reasoning is that the moisturizer sinks into the skin and I always feel like the Vitamin C serum stays on top of the skin which probably blocks the moisturizer absorbing into the skin? Vitamin C. Serum gives my skin a smooth translucent effect when I use it alone but after I apply moisturizer the translucent effect is no longer visible. Some days I only use Vitamin C Serum alone for that reason so, I was wondering if I applied the Vitamin C Serum after the mositurizer if the Vit. C would still work as well?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
lordm
Everything I've read points to using the C serum first to facilitate absorption. My serum is moisturizing enough that I don't use a separate moisturizer after it, just sunscreen (which is more than moisturizing enough!). Which C serum are you using?

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
From what I have been told per my Derm, is that you apply anything liquid first, ie serums, then moisturizers, then sunscreen. If you use the Vit C at night, Vit C, moisturize, then eye cream if you use one.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lordm
Everything I've read points to using the C serum first to facilitate absorption. My serum is moisturizing enough that I don't use a separate moisturizer after it, just sunscreen (which is more than moisturizing enough!). Which C serum are you using?
I"m using Perricone.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
thanks lordm,
I don't know the ingredients, but Perricone usually uses a lot of silicone in most of his products, which would explain the feeling that it justs sits on your skin - that's what silicones do. I wouldn't use ANY moisturizer after it if that's the case!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
thanks lordm,
I don't know the ingredients, but Perricone usually uses a lot of silicone in most of his products, which would explain the feeling that it justs sits on your skin - that's what silicones do. I wouldn't use ANY moisturizer after it if that's the case!
Ditto!!!

Make your own, it is a heck of alot better, and a ton cheaper than Perricone. That way you can tailor make it to fit your personal needs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks lordm,
Yes, I have 2 bottles left of his Vit. C and then I want to try making my own.
The silicone is probably want gives my skin the translucent look.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yeh silicone makes the skin look nice but it forms a "band aid" and blocks everything else from absorbing. Nice for summer when you don't need a lot of moisture tho! Use it up!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I quit using my Perricone Vit C serum and just used xtend-life cream. After about a week I noticed that my face didn't look as smooth and satiny like it did before. I just started using the Perricone Vit C again. I also noticed that he quit making the C serum I use. After I run out I am planning on making my own C Serum from the recipes on this site.
(hope it turns out ok)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
lordm
that's a shame Xtend life didn't work out for you!! Maybe your skin is good enough to begin with that you don't really need it.

I use my Xtend life day lotion OVER my DIY C serum and like it that way. You could look at eBay or MakeupAlley for the discontinued Perricone serum if you like it!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Apply Vit C first, AND LEAVE ON for about 10 minutes before applying moisturizer. Only because Vit C is acidic and your moisturizer will neutralize its effects. I usually apply it first thing, before brushing teeth and so on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts