Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

So Im new to this forum and think its so great to find a place that everyone can positively share experiences!
From the little ive read ive learnt so much and would like to thank you all in advance
I just ordered the hydro 4% and the retin a 0.1% and would like to ask how
these creams are applied since i have never used any creams of this strenth before and dont know how to go about it.
when do u apply moisturizers and sunblock since some people say the retin a causes dryness.
Is there a particular method or regimen followed when applying these creams.

I would appreciate any insight or advice, thank you again!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hello Everyone!

So Im new to this forum and think its so great to find a place that everyone can positively share experiences!
From the little ive read ive learnt so much and would like to thank you all in advance
I just ordered the hydro 4% and the retin a 0.1% and would like to ask how
these creams are applied since i have never used any creams of this strenth before and dont know how to go about it.
when do u apply moisturizers and sunblock since some people say the retin a causes dryness.
Is there a particular method or regimen followed when applying these creams.

I would appreciate any insight or advice, thank you again!
Welcome to the forum! Begin by using retin-a every other night, on nights that you don't use retin-a, use your HQ 4%, on other days use your HQ 4% day and night, eventually you will figure out what works for you. Apply retin-a only on very dry skin, approx 30mins after you wash your face. Retin-a is very drying and may cause irritation, apply only a peanut size on face and minimally if you're using all over body. Make sure you watch for side effects. Some people blend equal amounts of retin-a and HQ4% and use it day and night but i would suggest not to do this until you get used to both creams. Good luck and please share your experience

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
As for the sunscreen. about 10 mins or so after applying the HQ in the mornings, you can apply your sunblock. A few days after using Retin A, you will likely get a lot of dryness & exfoliation: this is how RA is supposed to work; annoying, but normal. You can use a warm moist facecloth to gently remove any loose skin that is ready to come off. Do NOT do any hard scrubbing or you'll irritate your skin. Once you pat your skin dry, you can use a natural oil (like olive, grapeseed or sweet almond) on the dry spots. If they're extremely dry, vaseline is an option: you need only apply a little.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been using fair and flawless now with great results but it's costing a lot. I would like to try HQ 4%. Anyone has a reliable source I can get get it from?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I pm ed you 2 sources you can choose from. I've ordered from both more than once. I never refer people to a source until I've used them successfully at least twice. Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Different concentrations of retin-A will be more irritating/drying also. The .04% or .05% micro gel seems to be less irritating for most people to use every night, but all skin is different. The creams in the same concentrations tend to be a little more irritating, meaning your skin will peel and become red quicker or moreson in general. Overapplying retin-A will not give you quicker results either - it will only dry and irritate the skin worse. Pea-sized is correct also - put it in the palm of your hand if you need to and take small amounts to spread into your skin if that works better for you. Some people dot on their face in 4 spots and try to rub in, but have trouble spreading it before it soaks into the skin.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That is a big mistake many people make: believing that more is better or will give faster results. I think most of the horror stories we hear are from people misusing products or concocting dangerous home brews.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You all very much for responding..ill be sure to share my results!
However does retin a and hydro combination thin the skin as my skin is very thin due to the use of bio claire for a couple of months.. my veins are more visible as well anyone else get while lightening ?..
Lumiere which fair and flawless product where you using?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
NO! The Retin A causes the skin to produce more collagen thereby thickening it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use their lift me light mask, the toner, the skin soho facial latte and the face cream. I am thinking about also trying the 5X body lightening(pricey) I am looking for a good product for the body with so many out there it's hard to know what works well...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks ondine!!...Lumiere i know wot you mean, i wos lookin for something for the body as well then stumbled across here and saw the hydro and retin a combination..i tried bio claire which was pretty good and economical i saw results within a week ..however my skin got really thin and i got that veiny look i also got scared about its ingrediant list which looked a little suspicious!..

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
REsults within a week BUT thinning skin
Sounds like it contains a high dose of some steroid (hydrocortisone) therefore the thinning skin. I wonder what happens to people after a few months of that: transparency
Sounds VERY scary. What the heck in in that stuff
When you say results within a week, what precisely do you mean? That sounds awfully fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think so too ondine...i think they are somewhat shady about whats the active ingridiant in their product! in anycase my health means more to me than lightening...basically i got about a shade or two lighter but the funny thing was i wasnt using sunblock or exfoliating so it's got to be something strong!..As a result my skins become qiute thin...i was wondering would the retin a reverse this effect on my skin?
Ondine it seems you have a lot of knowledge on the matter would the hq combination and retin a be safe for a 20 year old my younger sister would like to try it as well..and what would happen if say you discontinued use...as hq in the long term is dangerous?
sorry if i have bombarded you with questions..

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
No need to be sorry, Alley101: asking questions is what we all do here & I've asked my fair share too! I took the initiative of contacting someone at FF. They would not commit to answering my queries in writing in an email, but they want me to call a specific person at a specific time & I'm going to be doing that soon. I'll find out about their active ingredients. The retin A is tolerated differently by different people. I adapted very easily to it: some people need to begin with the weaker strengths & work their way up allowing their skin to adjust. The HQ seems to offset some of the irritation some get from the RA. HQ is safe in less that 10% concentrations. The horror stories happen when peoople add mercury, strong steroids or lead to the HQ. Then, the HQ gets blamed
It should be fine for a 20 yr old with otherwise healthy skin. The RA will thicken your skin over time. If you choose to discontinue use, your skin will gradually, as exfoliation sheds old layers & new cells appear, return to its prior state. When you have achieved your goal re skin tone etc., then you switch to using it only a few times per week to maintain your result.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
WEll, I spoke to someone at F&F . The active ingredient in their product is called 'sepi-white' (a trade name for IDEBENONE). They claim it is 20x more potent than HQ. As always, I went to Google Scholar to check out objective studies of this compound. It is similar in composition & action to coenzyme Q10. It has great potential as an anti-aging ingredient. It does also lighten skin BUT not, according to any study I saw, to the extent that F&F claim it does. The products are grossly overpriced which would discourage me from even trying them & anytthing claiming to lighten in 5 days is a little scary to me. Plus, you home chemists can buy the raw ingredient from m a k i n g c o s m e t i c s . c o m for a fraction of the cost & put it to the test. They sell it powdered & in a liquid suspension. They also post free directions about how to use it. I'll be watching this 'sepi-white' (patented in France; you can read the patent online) as more research is surely being done in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
WEll, I spoke to someone at F&F . The active ingredient in their product is called 'sepi-white' (a trade name for IDEBENONE). They claim it is 20x more potent than HQ. As always, I went to Google Scholar to check out objective studies of this compound. It is similar in composition & action to coenzyme Q10. It has great potential as an anti-aging ingredient. It does also lighten skin BUT not, according to any study I saw, to the extent that F&F claim it does. The products are grossly overpriced which would discourage me from even trying them & anytthing claiming to lighten in 5 days is a little scary to me. Plus, you home chemists can buy the raw ingredient from m a k i n g c o s m e t i c s . c o m for a fraction of the cost & put it to the test. They sell it powdered & in a liquid suspension. They also post free directions about how to use it. I'll be watching this 'sepi-white' (patented in France; you can read the patent online) as more research is surely being done in it.
I applaud the home chemists out there, I would like to make my own cream from some ingredients that have worked for me but I am too chicken and don't even know where to start. Fair and Flawless was great for me and I did see excellent results but what works for one might not work for everyone else. My sister swears by it, she is already light and it gives her a nice glow to her skin. I have ordered my HQ and I am using Retin A .5 every other night.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Good for you! I hope you keep reporting & sharing results. The problem I have with F&F is 2 fold
utrageous prices & vague claims. I prefer when a mfgr tells it like it is: no bells & whistles. I also like a fair price for the product offered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ondine thank you for responding..but wot happened if i stop the hq but continued to use sun block..because despite the fact that hq is safe in low quantities couldnt it cause damage over prolonged use ?...

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Over prolonged use at 200 times the reccommended doses. You ought to wear sunscreen at all times whether you are lightening or not. Despite the vit D boost a person can get from the sun, the potential for skin damage (esp with the holes in the ozone layer) outweighs any benefits.

In the entire history of the US, there have only been 30 cases of ochronosis (dark ugly bumpy rash-like ). You are more likely to get hit by a car whilst inside of your house! In those cases, several people were using creams with mercury, lead or bleach mixed into them. Blaming the HQ makes no sense. If you do stop the HQ, even using sunblock, your skin will re-darken because nothing is blocking of the synthesis of tyrosinase ( the enzyme which causes melanin production).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts