Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now you should know that a quality, photo-stable sunscreen with a high SPF/PPD level is your #1 anti-aging skin care product period!!!! Preferably one with mexoryl or tinsorb as the active ingredient.

Most everyone does not apply enough sunscreen to achieve the desired SPF/PPD rating on the bottle. Just today, I took a 1/4 teaspoon and measured out this amount of my sunscreen. It was more than enough to cover my face and neck. I've been using even less than this before the test. In order to achieve the rating on the bottle, you need to be using about 1/2 teaspoon total for your face and neck.
Skincare Central-All About Sunscreens

I might look like a ghost using 1/2 teapoon.
I'm gonna keep experimenting and see if I can get it up that high. The cornstarch idea sounds interesting.

If your like most people who apply less than 1/4 teapoon for your face and neck, it makes great sense to help make-up for some of this inadequate protection by using things such as oral anti-oxidants, vitamin C serum, tomato paste, lutein, kale.

And of course let's not forget good ole retin-a (tretinoin)
It will help your skin repair the damage from the daylight that the sunscreen + topical antioxidant let through.

More great info:
http://makeupalley.com/account/sn.as...e=sunscreenFAQ

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Peri, can you tell me what is the cornstarch idea? Is it adding cornstarch on top of your sunscreen to get the shine (withe) away? (I'm too lazy to read the link you have provided)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peri, can you tell me what is the cornstarch idea? Is it adding cornstarch on top of your sunscreen to get the shine (withe) away? (I'm too lazy to read the link you have provided)
It is mentioned in the first link I gave.

"So what to do? Many of the lighter sunscreens can be layered and then "patted down" to set them and eliminate shine. A dusting of powder or even pure cornstarch will often mattify the sunscreen effectively."

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry Peri about being too lasy! I am using a powder foundation to get rid of the shine & white, but I'm affraid the SPF/PPD factor will be reduce. I will go read your link and thanks for your reply!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
It is avobenzone that is inactivated by makeup containing ZnO or TiDo:

"Do NOT apply makeup that contains physical sunscreen (TIO2 or ZIO2) as an active ingredient as these will inactive the Avobenzone in your European sunscreen." (quote from SkinCareCentral.biz)

So please read labels if you wear makeup.

Zn or TiDo + avobenzone = sunscreen FAIL.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Periwinkle: Your posts are always well written, informative & helpful - & I like your sense of humour

My friends & fam call me the "Sunscreen Nazi" as I am forever holding them up while I slather head to toe before setting foot outdoors &/or reapply "obessively" and preach about the dangers of lay n' bake studios - GRRR!

You are the Sunscreen King tho - keep the good info coming!

fawnie: Another great tip -

As for pasty ol moi, I will continue to wear my big a$$ hats - nothing says "chic" like the urban sombrero

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Speaking of sunscreens i have not like any of the chemical sunscreens that i have bought so bought the non chemical aveeno sunscreen.

I put it on after i use my carrier oils in morning and it does not irrate my skin at all but however it is thick on the face and takes ages to rub in to skin so think il go for 30 spf next time see if its any better!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Peri,

I have never been a big fan of wearing sunscreen, but after joining this forum and realizing the sun is really my enemy I have decided that sunscreen will be a part of my daily routine.

One question when should I apply the sunscreen?? should I apply it last, after my serums and moisturizers??? I appreciate your feedback. I want to make sure that I do it correctly. Thank you

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Not Peri here, but sunscreen always goes on after serum and moisturizer.
You can apply makeup over it as long as the makeup doesn't contain Zinc or Titanium and the SS doesn't contain Avobenzone. They inactivate each other.

Nice avatar!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peri,

I have never been a big fan of wearing sunscreen, but after joining this forum and realizing the sun is really my enemy I have decided that sunscreen will be a part of my daily routine.

One question when should I apply the sunscreen?? should I apply it last, after my serums and moisturizers??? I appreciate your feedback. I want to make sure that I do it correctly. Thank you
What Fawnie said. If all I did was get one person to start using sunscreen religiously,
I feel I did a great thing. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Just purchased La Roche-Posay SPF30 --(Anthelios) with mexoryl -- liked it because it was watery and no odour.. Read the directions and noted that (quote) should not be applied directly to the face .. so I'm back to square one w/o a sunscreen. Also purchased Olay complete defense -- but it has that sunscreen odour that makes me sneeze.

Moisturizer with sunscreen? foundation with sunscreen?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mari, that's weird! I apply Anthelios XL all the time to my face. Wonder why I shouldn't?

Devita Solar Moisturizer 30 is a nice moisturizing SS with shea butter, micronized zinc (not whitish) and aloe.
Welcome to Devita - Natural Skin Care - Products

I buy the Body Block since it's in a bottle rather than a jar, like the "face" formula is, is more economical and is the same formula as the "face" one.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just purchased La Roche-Posay SPF30 --(Anthelios) with mexoryl -- liked it because it was watery and no odour.. Read the directions and noted that (quote) should not be applied directly to the face .. so I'm back to square one w/o a sunscreen. Also purchased Olay complete defense -- but it has that sunscreen odour that makes me sneeze.

Is this a spray pump bottle? If so that is why they say that. Spray it on your hands then apply. IF not, I'm clueless.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

Mari - I have a tube of LR-P Anthelios 45 Creme with mexoryl - and it does not say that it cannot be "applied directly to the face". In fact, it says to "keep out of the eyes" which would not be an issue if you were applying it just to your elbows, for example.

I have to say that a couple of weeks ago I was out and picked up a tube of L'Oreal Ombrelle Sport 30 lotion (also w/ mexoryl and some other stuff). It was half the price of the LR-P and I thought that I would use it on my hands, neck, arms + legs, whatever. As it turns out, I like the consistency so much that I have been using it on my face instead of the LR-P, which I find heavy. I'm going to get a higher factor for the summer months.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, thanks to you guys, I am now a reformed sun worshiper.....Sun screen will forever be used on my body and face......I only wish I found this forum sooner!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts