Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am allergic to hydroquinone products and was wondering if arbutin will cause the same reaction to my skin? I read that hydroquinone and arbutin are related somehow.

·
Registered
291 Posts
arbutin is a natural version of hydroquinone which doesnt have the same negative side effects. I think alpha arbutin is the best version. Check out the Euoko products

·
Registered
23 Posts
arbutin is a natural version of hydroquinone which doesnt have the same negative side effects. I think alpha arbutin is the best version. Check out the Euoko products
try this product called LMB, hydroquinone free

LMB Pigment Lightening Cream is a high potency formula for effective lightening of pigmentation such as freckles, melesma, lentigines (age spots) and photodamage. Achieve radiant, flawless skin today! Hydroquinone free!!!! Suitable for daily use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been using an Alpha Arbutin product called "pigment corrector serum".
It is manufactured in Victoria BC by a company called "Glow Rescue Skincare".
I found this after reading about the downside of hydroquinone, and as I am not
willing to take a risk with my health for the sake of beauty, felt this would be a
good alternative. So far so good as far as the results go, you just have to remember
to use it regularly and be vigilant with the sunblock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My daughter had a dark spot on her nose from a previous nose piercing (dooh!) and I got her some Porcelana (spelling) from the drugstore to try to fade it. A jar only costs $8, so it is cheap! It has hydroquinone, but I figured it would not have any significant negative health impact if only used on a small 1mm size dark spot. Anyhoo, it worked pretty well. After about 2 months of daily use, the dark spot on her nose has faded 50%. We even compared some old photos with new photos to be sure. Now the spot is light enough to be easily covered by a tiny dab of foundation.

Regarding arbutin, I am interested in trying this too. For myself though, not my daughter.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Some people have had very good results with Kojic Acid products mentioned above.
Hey Freddy, I have been meaning to ask you this for a while but ...is that you in your avatar and if not, who exactly is it of as he seems to match your personality and is quite cute
. Aaaaaand can you start giving some "thanks" to other people around here, as yours is still at zero??

But anyways, I have always thought that Alpha Arbutin was less potent than Hq but more potent than bearberry, am I correct? It would be cool if we create a thread about which ingredient is more potent than the rest. As I have not seen this anywhere.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The "scientist" who developed deoxyArbutin just joined the forum today. Perhaps he can answer your question about Alpha Arbutin. His username is Madelong

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
try this product called LMB, hydroquinone free

LMB Pigment Lightening Cream is a high potency formula for effective lightening of pigmentation such as freckles, melesma, lentigines (age spots) and photodamage. Achieve radiant, flawless skin today! Hydroquinone free!!!! Suitable for daily use.
Does this cream have Parabens?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The "scientist" who developed deoxyArbutin just joined the forum today. Perhaps he can answer your question about Alpha Arbutin. His username is Madelong
ha ha ha ha... yeah this "scientist" I think had a few too many than I have tonight ...he he he ...BUT maybe the the "scientist" is in need of some attention without proof, no? Aaaaawww..

I am hoping this cream does not have parabens as I try to stay away from. Can I see some before and after shots?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chawla S, deLong MA, Visscher MO, Wickett RR, Manga P, Boissy RE Mechanism of tyrosinase inhibition by deoxyArbutin and its second-generation derivatives. Br J Dermatol 159 (6) 2008 1267-1274

·
Registered
84 Posts
Boissy RE.; Visscher M; deLong, MA. DeoxyArbutin: a Novel Reversible Tyrosinase Inhibitor with Effective in vivo Skin Lightening Potency. Experimental Dermatology 14 (8) 2005 601-608.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Boissy RE.; Visscher M; deLong, MA. DeoxyArbutin: a Novel Reversible Tyrosinase Inhibitor with Effective in vivo Skin Lightening Potency. Experimental Dermatology 14 (8) 2005 601-608.
Welcome back MAdelong. I wondered what happened to you. Of course you can understand one being suspicious that an accomplished, published scientist would be on the forum.
Hopefully you can help us and we can help you in discovering the next leading edge scientific breakthrough, for skin lightening.
Please - did you or when you have a chance to answer the questions I posted regarding deoxyArbutin?

·
Registered
84 Posts
So I'm not sure what all you'd like to know- I can post some before and after pictures of the various compounds that we used- HQ, Kojic Acid, beta-arbutin, etc., in our tests of deoxyArbutin (dA for short). Let me go look for your posts- We originally developed this to use on burned children for hyperpigmentation following skin graft surgery.

·
Registered
452 Posts
So I'm not sure what all you'd like to know- I can post some before and after pictures of the various compounds that we used- HQ, Kojic Acid, beta-arbutin, etc., in our tests of deoxyArbutin (dA for short). Let me go look for your posts- We originally developed this to use on burned children for hyperpigmentation following skin graft surgery.
Below is the post on the deoxyArbutin thread with my questions.

Welcome to the forum Madelong - what an accomplishment and discovery (re: deoxyArbutin). Congrats to you!

I would like to know ( and perhaps forum members would also):
1. How deoxyArbutin (dA) compares to Hydroquinone (HQ), in terms of potency, effectiveness
2. Compared to Kojic Acid?
3. Difference between Alpha Arbutin (aA) and dA?
4. Can it be used or effective for lightening of of all skin types (all Fitz levels) or only a particular type?
5.How does it interact with Retin A?
6.What actives/products can dA be combined with?
7.Best compound recipe/ active to mix with dA for maximum lightening
8.Warnings/cautions/what not to dos/how not to use, etc.
9. Any other info you think is important/relevant for skin lightening

I apologize in advance for all of the questions, but I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that it is EXTREMELY RARE to be able to interact with a scientist such as yourself.
Thank you in advance and welcome again

·
Registered
84 Posts
Question one- 'allergy to HQ' Since beta-arbutin, alpha arbutin, and deoxyArbutin (dA) all can be metabolized to HQ in the body to some extent, if you are truly allergic to HQ, you will be allergic to all of these chemicals.
However, are you really allergic? or do you just find it irritating? Do you get hives, have trouble breathing, or does it just appear as a red rash at the site of application?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts