Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the HQ 4% + Retina A .1% for a week now, and my skin is beginning to peel on my face from the Retina A, as I expected, however, I noticed after washing my face/scrubbing the peeling skin off, when I rub on the HQ + Retina A mix afterward it is burning. Is this normal for everyone else???

I recently began washing my face with baking soda and allowing it to dry 20-30 minutes before rubbing the creams in. Could the baking soda be the problem? Also, does anyone else peel/rub off the dead skin when they're skin is dry? Is it better to just leave it alone?

Hopefully someone can help me, because if not I might have to stop using the creams...I don't want to damage my skin, especially not on my face

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
BAKING SODA! What possessed you to do that? Get somethng gentle like some Spectro Jel. Once you have washed your face & exfoliated the dead skin, you have to wait a good 20 mins AT LEAST before you apply Retin A. You NEVER apply it on freshly washed skin, moist skin or freshly exfoliated skin.

When your skin is dry & flaky, it is inconvenient but this is how Retin A works. You do NOT scrape at your dry skin but apply an emmolient soothing oil like olive, grapeseed or sweet almond. With time, the dead skin will remove easily while you are washing your face. When your skin is warm & wet, you do NOT scrape at it to exfoliate it but simply rub it gently with a wet washcloth in small circles.

Allow your skin a few days to recuperate before eapplying the creams. When you begin again, try only once/day for a week or so then increase to twice per day. Adverse reactions often result from misusing the products. Please be careful.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Baking Soda? I would advise you to stop using this altogether. Retina does have a tendency to dry you out and burn you as I have noticed because I have sensitive skin but this burning sensation should settle within a few minutes and not continue to cause you irritation. You should be using a light exfoliant -retina says you should refrain from using harsh astringents/chemicals - you must be gentle with your skin while using retina and give it some time to work. Ensure your face is moisturised to help with the dead skin removal. As ondine has said give your skin a few days to recuperate but in the meantime keep it moisturised.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice ladies. I know it sounds crazy, but I have oily skin, so I've used baking soda in the past as a face wash. It usually works well to exfoliate and dry up my skin a little (or make it normal after washing, you know, not dry or oily).

I've used Retina A in the past by a doctor's perscription, but for some reason it never crossed my mind this time that I shouldn't use the baking soda too. My skin isn't constanly burning, but it did burn slightly after rubbing the cream in yesterday. It doesn't really look or feel like I've caused any damage yet. My skin is still just peeling and kind of dry. I only used the baking soda about 3 times. Well, I guess I know not to do that again lol. Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
My face tends towards oiliness to: try the Spectro Jel for combination/oily skin. Remember to wait 20 mins after washing/wetting/exfoliating your skin B4 applying your Retin A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts