Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to this forum, but not new to skin problems. I'm a 21 year old male, who was hit hard by the effects of puberty. I have had skin problems since I was about 13. I had moderate acne, but my biggest issue has always been oily, flaky, dry skin. My face has many moods I guess you can say. I have been on virtually every antibiotic including accutane, which is the worst/best medication out there. It cleared up my acne, but not my biggest self-esteem crusher - oily skin and large pores. No matter what time of the day it is, my skin is always shiny. In fact, I've never seen it not shiny. Even when it's not "oily" it's shiny because it's dry. I come out of the shower and I can see the mirror I'm looking at in my forehead, because it's shiny at that point because it's dry. Most cleansers dry out my skin and make my skin tight only to be loosened by the overproduction of oil an hour later. I've used toners and lotions, which only make me more shiny so I avoid them. Anything applied to my face makes it shinier. Can any of you actually feel the production of oil occurring? When my skin gets oily throughout the day, I can feel my face pulsating as if my pores can't breathe and are suffocating with oil and dirt. My face is like a swiffer mop - collects dirt and is visible when I wipe my face with a napkin or tissue, etc. Also, I don't necessarily have acne scars, such as indentations in the skin, but I have noticeable spots of discoloration where pimples have been - grrr. I've tried plenty of products. So, you tell me, what's the key? I have glowing skin, but not the glowing that I want. What types of products, remedies, diets, etc. do you recommend. Or am I doomed to be swiffer's biggest competition for the rest of my life? Because I definitely attract more dirty than their mops do

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Awwwhhh I am sorry arrforce27. It sucks to have acne, I know. But the good thing is you are only 21, so you have plenty of time to find what will work for you. So keep that thought on the bright side!

I took Accutane at the age of 39!! I waited WAY too long, and only wished I would have taken it sooner so I could have enjoyed a clear face in my 20's. But oh well!! I didn't have oily skin, and I know that can be a challenge. But there is hope!! My son battled with oily skin, and we finely have it under control.

What I would recommend is use a gentle cleanser and avoid soap, since most types strip the skin of all natural oils. That squeaky clean feeling people get from using soaps is derived from stripping the fatty oils from your skin and is more harmful than good.

Have you ever used a clay mask? They work great for those with oily skin. Once a week, use a clay mask to help clean deep down into your pores. This will help to clean off any extra oil and dead skin cells. Just be sure to use it only once per week, or you skin will increase its oil production to compensate.

If your skin feels overly dry after you wash then a moisturizer would be a good idea. Look for a light, oil-free version, also labeled as noncomedogenic. Toners can also help – but the results can be temporary, so you may have to apply it more than once a day. Choose a toner that contains acetone, which is known for dissolving oil. Strong toners will do more harm than good, stimulating an overproduction of oil.

I hope this will help you a little. I am glad to see you at least have a pretty good sense of humor about it. I know first hand what acne can do to your self esteem. Remember there is hope!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thing is, I'm not real sure what all these types of products are and what their purpose is. Currently, I have two face washes. I used cetaphil for many years, but I have since changed it up and use two cleansers and that's it. No other products. I don't know when to use which products or simply what to use. Currently in the morning, I use a cleanser called CeraVe hydrating cleanser and in the evening I use clean&clear deep-clean exfoliating cleanser. Neither do the trick. I haven't found a product that works. I guess I need to get on a routine. Many products over dry my skin making it shiny, then oil production begins shortly after and I am no longer dry, just extremely shiny from the oils. I do use a clay mask once a week and it does help for the first hour after I remove it. Then I'm oily again. I guess my goal is to close up my pores so that they can't attract dirt and oil anymore, and to keep my skin hydrated so it's not over dry, yet fresh enough that it works on it's natural oils without overproducing.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Thing is, I'm not real sure what all these types of products are and what their purpose is. Currently, I have two face washes. I used cetaphil for many years, but I have since changed it up and use two cleansers and that's it. No other products. I don't know when to use which products or simply what to use. Currently in the morning, I use a cleanser called CeraVe hydrating cleanser and in the evening I use clean&clear deep-clean exfoliating cleanser. Neither do the trick. I haven't found a product that works. I guess I need to get on a routine. Many products over dry my skin making it shiny, then oil production begins shortly after and I am no longer dry, just extremely shiny from the oils. I do use a clay mask once a week and it does help for the first hour after I remove it. Then I'm oily again. I guess my goal is to close up my pores so that they can't attract dirt and oil anymore, and to keep my skin hydrated so it's not over dry, yet fresh enough that it works on it's natural oils without overproducing.
Quit with the CeraVe hydrating cleanser. It is for HYDRATING, you are not lacking that!! What I would try using is the Cetaphil cleanser for oily skin. I used it for years and I don't have oily skin at all. You could also try Biore blemish fighting Ice cleanser. It has 2% salicylic acid which is great. I think you should also be using an oil free moisturizer. If could be that your face is overproducing oil because it is lacking it to begin with. Moisturize at least at night and see if this helps at all.

Also, try blotting your face through out the day. With oil blotting papers or even with a brown paper bag. Brown napkins or paper towels work perfect if you have any. Don't rub your face, just press your face on the paper towel and blot it all over. 3 or 4 times a day.

Finding what works for you takes time and patience. But keep trying until you get the results you want!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What moisturizers do you recommend? And are there any other types of products besides a face wash and moisturizer that I should be using?

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
What moisturizers do you recommend? And are there any other types of products besides a face wash and moisturizer that I should be using?
I will tell you what my son is using at the moment and really likes.
Skin Actives Scientific : Acne Control Cream with T-Zone Serum and ZitEnder
Skin Actives Scientific : Salicylic Wash

He is using just the acne cream at night and using the salicylic wash once a day, usually at night. It is too drying for him for twice a day. It might be fine for you though. Then he uses Biore face wash in the AM and an oil free moisturizer in the AM, when he feels like he needs it.

They do sell an acne kit, you might like. I just get the cream and the wash for him. He uses differin as well.

I use a TON of skinactives products and they ALL are really good. The acne cream came in a huge jar for only $15 very much worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think exfoliating is what you really need. I'm not so sure of moisturizing it. exfoliating can dry-en your skin while moisturizing it" can put some oil on it". but the good thing about moisturizing is that it keeps your skin look good. try exfoliating but try to use those that are for sensitive skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts