Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about purchasing artificial sunlight in order to get better sleep. However, does these lamps send out UVA signals?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Good question, but you also have two answers. The light you want to purchase is it a "gow bulb" for growing plants if so than it does have some UVA. You have to read the pacakge of bulbs, some have UVA, some don't. Good Luck let us know it if really works.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Peri I think he is in Norway and having grown up in that region I can tell you that unlike most places sleep-wake cycles are a huge issue and mere melatonin (which is not legal there) would not help. I know where I grew up the days in summer were at worst 23 hours long and in the winter the darkness was profound. I mean the sun would make a meager appearance far out on the horizon at about noon and at about 1pm it was sinking again below the horizon with total darkness following shortly thereafter.

These lights do emit UV and I know many people who have had them BUT I never saw anyone get a tan from them or injur their eyes. I would reckon that this is not sufficient UV to warrant concern as I think natural sunlight entering any room is probably much more potent in terms of UV rays. Remember the difference is that UV rays from natural light are not limited to the "brightness" the bulb you are mentioning just concentrates brightness to fool your brain.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I was bad and rented (for very cheap, I might add) 10 years ago, in England, a tanning bed for depression because of lack of sunlight/depression issues. I always used sunblock on my face but the rest of my body suffered the effects. My forearms are like leather. (To me-nobody else notices) I did a 15% peel on them 2 days ago and no peeling/flaking yet. The backs of my hands are beginning to peel lightly, though they didn't look bad at all to begin with. I just want the pretty hands I had in my 20's/30's!! I won't be using a tanning bed again ever. I'm seeing fine lines and I'm sure there is damage that I am not seeing now that I probably will in years to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts