Skin Care Talk banner

At Home exercise routines!

6708 Views 86 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Smoothnnatural
So i'm not a gym member, but I do want to get in shape. So every night before bed, I get out my yoga mat and work out for one or two songs on my iPod.

I usually do:
Crunches
Planks
Pedaling
Push ups
Leg lifts

Anyone else do at home workouts? I'm looking for more variety, so list yours!
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
DL, I know you do yoga, so since I tore cartilage in my knee I can't do most of the poses now and wonder what a good substitute is. I was doing Kundalini.

I swim, but it's hard to get motivated to go when it's -10F out there.

I used to do Callenetics (remember matching leotards and headbands?) but some of those positions are rough on my knee too. Help!

See less See more
Have you ever tried a Pilates mat class? Mat classes are mostly done in a prone (on belly) or supine (on back) position and it works the mid-section of the body (core, hips, butt.) There are toning exercises for the legs but you rotate out from the hip not the knee and there are very few if any exercises where you are on your knees. Sometimes the knees are bent but no pressure is being put on them. You can always skip those or do a modification if it does not feel right.

If you can find mat classes with a certified instructor - that would be best - or you can find a good Pilates video. I like Denise Austin's. She's a little corny but she does give a good routine. Watch the video first before doing it and see what you think. Here are some demos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2nT...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-Mg...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Uxb...eature=channel

Fawnie ...you can still do a lot of Kundalini- like movements, stretches, and breathing exercises from the waist up. I am a firm believer that there is a yoga for EVERYONE

Pilates tower or reformer classess would prob be too much for your knee so do some investigating.
See less See more
Heavy duty gardening is all I do now. I used to do 30 minutes/day of spot exercises targetting an area of the body. I joined Tai Chi classes because it looked like a ballet --but all the 80 year olds made me look stupid.

I would be interested in learning of a good line of Yoga clothing -- just so I can pretend I am healthy when I wear it with a matching headband and impress the neighbours.
See less See more
Heavy duty gardening is all I do now. I used to do 30 minutes/day of spot exercises targetting an area of the body. I joined Tai Chi classes because it looked like a ballet --but all the 80 year olds made me look stupid.

I would be interested in learning of a good line of Yoga clothing -- just so I can pretend I am healthy when I wear it with a matching headband and impress the neighbours.
Mari - you're cute!

Prana and Rhythm lines both have sturdy clothing suitable for yoga but built for rock climbers (They last FOREVER). They will even last through hours on your knees in the garden.
thanks DL, I will join the Pilates classes - also tai chi (good idea Mari).

Actually heavy-duty gardening is prob what ruined my knee: digging holes and planting trees for 10 years straight, and all the maintenance on the yard...still, I'd rather garden than clean house....blech!

See less See more
thanks DL, I will join the Pilates classes - also tai chi (good idea Mari).

Actually heavy-duty gardening is prob what ruined my knee: digging holes and planting trees for 10 years straight, and all the maintenance on the yard...still, I'd rather garden than clean house....blech!
I have knee problems too. In my early twenties I took a bad fall chasing a guy. True story! (he fainted when he saw all the blood).

Tai Chi is supposed to do all sorts of wonderful things for your mind and body -- my mind wasn't in it I guess as I couldn't remember the over 100+ steps.
See less See more
Mari - you're cute!

Prana and Rhythm lines both have sturdy clothing suitable for yoga but built for rock climbers (They last FOREVER). They will even last through hours on your knees in the garden.
I'll check it out and see if I can get them in Jolly Canuk land.

Thanks so much.
See less See more
"Chasing a guy?!!!!" Well I bet THAT was good cardio!!! haha

Have you ever tried a Pilates mat class? Mat classes are mostly done in a prone (on belly) or supine (on back) position and it works the mid-section of the body (core, hips, butt.) There are toning exercises for the legs but you rotate out from the hip not the knee and there are very few if any exercises where you are on your knees. Sometimes the knees are bent but no pressure is being put on them. You can always skip those or do a modification if it does not feel right.

If you can find mat classes with a certified instructor - that would be best - or you can find a good Pilates video. I like Denise Austin's. She's a little corny but she does give a good routine. Watch the video first before doing it and see what you think. Here are some demos:

YouTube - Beginner Pilates Workout
YouTube - Pilates Routine with Sara Richardson
YouTube - Model Fitness: Lorie Baker's Pilates Routine

Fawnie ...you can still do a lot of Kundalini- like movements, stretches, and breathing exercises from the waist up. I am a firm believer that there is a yoga for EVERYONE

Pilates tower or reformer classess would prob be too much for your knee so do some investigating.
Thanks Dragonlilly! Those are a big help! Interesting tattoos on vid #1

See less See more
"Chasing a guy?!!!!" Well I bet THAT was good cardio!!! haha
No I fell and busted my knee. You and DL have it all wrong -- what are you thinking -- the guy dropped his wallet and I was trying to catch him before he got on the bus.
See less See more
Ha, ha, ha! You three (Mari, Fawnie, DL) have me in stitches.
Who needs TV? - way too boring!
See less See more
Ha, ha, ha! You three (Mari, Fawnie, DL) have me in stitches.
Who needs TV? - way too boring!
Laughter is a good exercise: it's also theraputic and a great stress reliever. It's wonderful when you have someone to laugh with not laugh at. What kind of exercises do you do? It must be fun walking in the area you live in -- so much to see!
See less See more
No I fell and busted my knee. You and DL have it all wrong -- what are you thinking -- the guy dropped his wallet and I was trying to catch him before he got on the bus.
oh okay ...I was wondering why were you chasing a guy
.... lol
See less See more
Mari, you were starting to get a bit of a reputation for a minute ...
See less See more
Mari, you were starting to get a bit of a reputation for a minute ...
I know, I'm a bad person -- but this illustrates what happens when all the details aren't known. I ended up having two operations, one resulting in a blood clot. These days, I wouldn't do it -- how would you know he didn't lift the wallet and was getting rid of it?
See less See more
What kind of exercises would be appropriate for an asthmatic with knee problems.
Laughter is a good exercise: it's also theraputic and a great stress reliever. It's wonderful when you have someone to laugh with not laugh at. What kind of exercises do you do? It must be fun walking in the area you live in -- so much to see!
I gave up my car shortly after I moved to Toronto a few years ago now and walk everywhere I can. I too have a bad knee (but not from chasing men) so I do the elliptical machine four days a week for one-half hour each time. This workout plus the walking is enough for me, especially in this brutal winter weather.
How about Wii Fit such good fun!! he ha ha
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.