Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... I know tons of people use this forum to seek advice...

I just wanted to warn users against bio claire and makari... donot use them...
even if u are getting wonderful results...

Bio claire has a very strong smell... I am sure its full of steroids... Therefore ppl.
lighten in 3-4 days... I used it and got stretchmarks on my left leg ... It looked really bad... But thankfully its gone now... so happy... so dont use it... This product comes from Africa... there are no regulations... we really dont know what they are putting in these creams....

And makari... Its a very expensive product... Yes it gives u results.. it gave me great results... but with a huge price tag both financially and emotionally...i had really great skin before using it... And like i mentioned before.. I brokeout rarely ...my skin could tolerate lots of products... Your skin willl look great for awhile and then one day you wake up and ur face will be full of breakouts... You pay 300 for somethings that lasts for a month and then get darker which i did once u stop using it... SO STAY AWAY... I know so many ppl. whose skin got ruined this way... I was on another board and ppl. would just get so defensive about makari.. How do you call yourself a board that helps ppl. but promote a product that ruins their skin...

Newayz i would have appreciated this info if sum1 had told me... so for those who are contemplating on using these products please be very careful....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I understand where your coming from Nurse24, as I have used Makari and Bio Clair. Makari had lightened me to about 3-3.5 shades, but it was quite expensive to keep up. My goal was to lighten my face and whole body using the night cream. I was able to lighten face, ears, neck, arms, and hands but it was getting too expensive to pay monthly. I'm on Bio Clair again using it on my face in the evening. I think that company lied on what' really in their products because it smell toxic and burned my arms. But, the jar will be finished in about 2 weeks, and I hope to find another alternative by then.

What lighteners do you use?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes. That's smart. It burned your arms, yet you put it on your face. Throw that out. I started the Bio Claire craze on the net years ago and have been telling people that cream smells like poison. I, still, use the soap.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I havent had any negative reactions using it on my face, as it is only temporary until I find something better to use. What products do you use to lighten?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'll never 'get' why people use these miscellaneous formulations that are high in flash & low in substance. A simple & quick verification of a cream's contents, concentrations etc. will out them as a scam. Any cream that claims to have 15 active ingredients is a SCAM. What possible concentrations could be in there? Can you imagine how unstable it would be? There have been so many people on here posting about how their skin was virtually disfigured by Makari. It lightened initially but then the results turned into rashes, stretch marks & severe acne outbreaks. The Bio Claire users reported initial lightening-followed by thinning skin (a hallmark of high amts of steroids!) stretch marks & other problems. For me, the price alone is a deterrant. there's no way I'm giving anyone that much $. Did you see the price of the F&F? Holy crap!
If you go to makingcosmeticsdotcom you can see how little MSH (aka sepi-white the active ingredient in F&F) actually costs. You can MAKE this cream for a minute fraction of the F&F cost-& you're paying that little RETAIL for your raw MSH. Imagine what the makers of F&F pay buying it in bulk wholesale? They are really profiting off of consumers. Aside from the safety issues (that won't deter some desperate people) the financial aspect (in this economy) ought to make one think twice.

·
Registered
670 Posts
F&F probably costs them pennies to make.

Eternal, you can try Nadinola, if you don't mind HQ. It has 3%. Your face is the first thing people see. Don't risk something like that for lightening. Besides, if your face is lighter than your body, that is not a good look.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks, I'll check the Nadinola out. My face is not lighter than my body, it has now redarkened to the same color as my arms and legs. Before I had started lightening last year, my face and arms had darkened so much from me being out in the sun w/out using sunscreen. I'm about Toni Braxton's complexion and my shoulder's and chest are 2 shades lighter than the rest of me.

I'm now beginning to erconsider using Hq after reading posts on this board. That you can lighten w/ Hq without the damage.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I used to use Nadinola and the results are great but, I am just afraid of hydroquinone and what it can do to my health. No sense in having great looking skin and cancer!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There has never been a single case of a human developing cancer from HQ use. This is a myth people keep repeating. The creams that have caused terrible effects have been corrupted with mercury, high doses of steroids & even household bleach. These toxins caused the disfigurement & liver issues; NOT the HQ. I've posted links to actual research supporting this claim. I'll try to find the link to it for you.

http://www.skincaretalk.com/skin-lig...an-legend.html

Here's that link. Enjoy!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Household 'BLEACH'?!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used to use Nadinola and the results are great but, I am just afraid of hydroquinone and what it can do to my health. No sense in having great looking skin and cancer!
Okay as ondine said, there aren't reported cases of people getting cancer from using HQ. Maybe at high percentages can cause serious damage that may be irreversible but the percentages suggested on the board definitely wont harm you.

The reason why many people are all about "HQ will cause cancer" etc etc. Its because of the mode of action of this molecule. It inhibits tryosinase (an enzyme that catalyses the formation of melanin in the skin). In other words, it reduces the amount of melanin in the skin, hence lightening the skin color. Since melanin is the "protector" of the body from ultraviolet radiation (you should be using sunscreen anyways), then reducing the amount of melanin hypothetically increases the risk of developing cancers of the skin. However, getting cancer is influenced by SOOO many other factors for eg. age, genetic predisposition, diet etc that it is impossible to say that using HQ will cause cancer. The notion that HQ causes cancer was after they gave rats a bunch of the stuff to injest and they developed it. Obviously, that's not what were're doing with the HQ. Fear not, HQ alone cannot cause cancer.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
RECALL INFORMATION
Feb 13---Bio Claire recalls Natural Bio-vegetal Activator BODY LOTION---Ireland
Manufacturer: See Below

Product: Home

Start Date: 2009-02-13 End Date: 2009-03-13

Product: Lightening body lotion without hydroquinone – Natural Bio-vegetal Activator

Brand: Bio Claire

Type/number of model: P:05/08 E:05/11 082657 “S3”

Description: White 8” (200ml) high container with white screw-top lid.

Country of origin: Ivory Coast

Chemical

The product poses a chemical risk because it contains 0.06% of hydroquinone.

The product does not comply with the Cosmetics Directive 76/768/EEC.

Voluntary withdrawal from the market and recall from consumers.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Lightening body cream without hydroquinone
25-Jul-2009
Details
Brand: Bio Claire
Type/number of model: P13/02/03 NFI 011285 E 12/02/06 NPC, 30 g

Description: White tube with white cap in white box.

Country of origin: France
Danger
Chemical
The product poses a chemical risk because it contains glucocorticosteroid and clobetasolpropionate 0,029%.
The product does not comply with the Cosmetics Directive 76/768/EEC.
Action Taken
Voluntary stop of sales and withdrawal from the market by a distributor.
Source: European Commission RAPEX (11-0962-09)
Category: Cosmetics
On: 25-Jul-2009

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
NY: thanks for the info. Strange, though: 0.06% HQ wouldn't lighten anyone. This is a very low concentration. I wonder about the other ingredients that are NOT listed? The same is true with the clobetasol proprionate 0.029%: this is also a very low concentration. There's something we aren't being told here.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I agree with you, there's must be something else, we are not being told.

NY: thanks for the info. Strange, though: 0.06% HQ wouldn't lighten anyone. This is a very low concentration. I wonder about the other ingredients that are NOT listed? The same is true with the clobetasol proprionate 0.029%: this is also a very low concentration. There's something we aren't being told here.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You know I was sooooo close to ordering Bio Claire. It was incredibly tempting to get light so fast. It must have been fate that I stumbled upon this site just in time

·
Registered
670 Posts
They, probably, mean that as 6%.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ondine why would hydroquinone be banned in certain countries if there is no danger to your health? There must be a reason why people think this chemical is dangerous besides the fact that it lessens your protection against the sun.

Here is an excerpt from healthy communications.com:
The Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep database, which compares cosmetic ingredients to more than 50 international toxics databases, identifies hydroquinone as a carcinogen, immunotoxicant and developmental and reproductive toxicant, and also identifies concerns regarding the ingredient's risks for various organ systems, the endocrine system and neurotoxicity (viii).

Nothing against anyone who chooses to use hydroquinone but I personally don't want to take a chance with my health.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Nurse 24,

are there any safe alternatives for use on toddlers, i just want to even out my sons complexion,

im grateful that i havent ordered the Bio-claire.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts