Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some good friends over this afternoon for lemonade and giggles...we started talking about clothes then drifted into makeup and clothes. We were talking about should eye shadow and lipstick, should they match in colour and what about nail polish should it match the eye shadow and lip colour. Then we were talking about should eye shadow, lipcolour should it match an outfit and should we match nail polish to an outfit? What do you think?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I tend to wear "your lips but better" or nude lipcolors. I wear whatever color I feel like wearing on my nails. I don't wear eyeshadow. So in my case, no they don't match. And I look just fine most days, thankyouverymuch!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I personaly believe there is such a thing as "too matchy-" lips + nails, + eye shadow that is alot to try and match. I wear a light pink gloss, brown liner, and lids are light taupe, nails clear pink ( I don't do blush) I don't care if they match or not, I just care about the way it looks. If it appeals to MY eye or not. That is what counts to me.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I had some good friends over this afternoon for lemonade and giggles...we started talking about clothes then drifted into makeup and clothes. We were talking about should eye shadow and lipstick, should they match in colour and what about nail polish should it match the eye shadow and lip colour. Then we were talking about should eye shadow, lipcolour should it match an outfit and should we match nail polish to an outfit? What do you think?
Well.........I think it depends are what you are doing/going. ( a special event, etc) Of course if you are going to a wedding, you aren't going to want to wear red lipstick with an orange dress, and have blue nail polish!! So, yes, to a certain degree, you should try to match. (well I would anyways) If you are at home wear what ever makes you happy-

I tend to go for pink and white nails and toes (sometimes change the toes up a tad) and I go for just gloss or neutral lip colors. Eye shadow,.....don't wear so much and if I do, I go for whatever I am in the mood for.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
RIght. Too matchy-matchy is so like over. Unless you want to look like a mermaid in head to toe green glitter....one of my personal faves.

I like Toni09's idea of plum mascara, plum liner and metallic gold shadow. Blended well it can make blue eyes pop! In fact any colors if blended well and applied artfully can work. Pick something that will highlight the eyes, not match your outfit, but blue eye shadow should be illegal. Unless you are channelling Mimi from the Drew Carey show.

Fingernails should always be clean and a neutral color and not too long. Toenails however can be as vampy as you dare! Chanel has a metallic gold color in the fall collection that is way trashy and I love it!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Can I go off topic for a minute with permission this time?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Somebody once came up to me at a bar and said that the reason he was attracted to me.....I had jeans on, very little makeup as in foundation, and I took care of myself because I had my toes colored. So needless to say, I never wear eyeshadow or foundation, I always keep my toes polished (my nails never look great because of my job) and I generally wear jeans and a dressy top.

You may get attention because of your matching heavy makeup, perfect nails and perfectly coordinated outfit and you may get hoots and hollers but in the end looking natural, casual and comfortable always wins out. Just watch real housewives of New Jersey and do the opposite!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Char, LOL maybe he was a foot fetishist!!!

I agree though, my feet have to be clean and buffed and toenails polished or I feel like a farm animal. We all have our "thing".

What is Gymrat up to??? Going "off topic"......???

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
LOL since when do we need permission to do anything here????!!!
LOL, sorry fawnster, I was trying to be polite with all the new ones around-first impressions ya know-

K, so I need your help............I am going to Vegas to meet 12 childhood friends to celebrate all of our 40th Bdays, (since we are all the same age, and went all through school together) We met on our 20th, 30ths, and now the big 4 0!!!

I am a nervous wreck, because you never know how these ladies are going to be 10 years later. Are they party animals, do they have gambling problems, do they want to stay in and do nothing.......you know, it's the unknown that is getting to me. Plus I don't travel well alone-surprise, surprise-

BUT!!! I woke up with a fever blister HELP!!!
I have 24 hours to get it GONE!!! Any ideas? Tea tree oil.....LOL

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Aw that's nice of you, rat.

A fever blister? You mean like a cold sore? Call your Dr for an Rx for Denavir!!! Abrevia OTC is supposed to be helpful too!

As for what they're like: start emailing like mad trying to get a feel for what they are like now!! Invite them to join us here and loosen up a bit! Have a great time!!!! Don't forget to go to Lotus of Siam for the best Thai food you'll ever have!!

PS - your childhood friends will love you no matter what, so just have a good time!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Aw that's nice of you, rat.

A fever blister? You mean like a cold sore? Call your Dr for an Rx for Denavir!!! Abrevia OTC is supposed to be helpful too!

As for what they're like: start emailing like mad trying to get a feel for what they are like now!! Invite them to join us here and loosen up a bit! Have a great time!!!! Don't forget to go to Lotus of Siam for the best Thai food you'll ever have!!
Well I was at the Derm today but got totally side tracked and didn't get an Rx. Mayber I should get some Abrevia tonight and see if that works.

My flight was for tomorrow but I changed it for Thursday afternoon. I am THAT nervous!!! If I had it my way, I would cancel all together.
My husband is encourageing me to go. He thinks I will have a great time. I am a very social person, I just get nervous when it comes to this kind of outing.

Where is Lotus of Siams? Ya can you imagine all of us going to eat??? LOL, ya right, ain't gonna happen. You know we will have one of those.......I don't like Thai food, it's too hot in there, it's too cold in there, I didn't bring fancy clothes, I'm not hungry, etc. It will probably be worse than traveling with toddlers-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
1) Stop by the Derm- they should have samples of Denavir.
2) Ask for some Xanax for the flight so you won't be a basket-case.
3) Have a snort on the plane (wine, that is)
4) Lotus of Siam is in a strip mall in the old part of Vegas. Any cabbie knows where it is!! The food is exquisite and not what you think at all. you can get mild or hot. The jasmine tea alone is worth the trip! You don't need fancy clothes even!!! It's very laid back but all the best ppl go there!!

HAVE FUN AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING!!! If it gets too bad you can always check in here and we will keep you company!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
1) Stop by the Derm- they should have samples of Denavir.
2) Ask for some Xanax for the flight so you won't be a basket-case.
3) Have a snort on the plane (wine, that is)
4) Lotus of Siam is in a strip mall in the old part of Vegas. Any cabbie knows where it is!! The food is exquisite and not what you think at all. you can get mild or hot. The jasmine tea alone is worth the trip! You don't need fancy clothes even!!! It's very laid back but all the best ppl go there!!

HAVE FUN AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU ARE DOING!!! If it gets too bad you can always check in here and we will keep you company!!!
Sounds like a plan, fawnie, thank you!! I will run by the Derms tomorrow and ask for a sample. The DH is in town and said he will pick up Abrevia for me too. As far as 2) goes, I can't take that crap, you won't be able to get me off the plane-
and for 3) it is a short flight from CA I am not sure what they will serve to be honest. A shot before I board just have to be the answer-j/k j/k!!

About this cold sore, do you think the heat will flare it up worse?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't wear eyeshadow unless it's a night out. Then I become dramatic but never match my eyeshadow to my clothes..nor do I match lipstick to my outfits. I love the new gold eye-shadows paired up with colored mascara and eyeliner (plum is my favorite right now). As far as my nails...l usually do Ballet Slipper/Mademoiselle on my finger nails (in the summer) and Miami Beet/Effiel for this Color on my toes..love the contast. In the winter I go with dark colors on my finger nails. And I keep my fingernails short and square...love the look!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
LOL, sorry fawnster, I was trying to be polite with all the new ones around-first impressions ya know-

K, so I need your help............I am going to Vegas to meet 12 childhood friends to celebrate all of our 40th Bdays, (since we are all the same age, and went all through school together) We met on our 20th, 30ths, and now the big 4 0!!!

I am a nervous wreck, because you never know how these ladies are going to be 10 years later. Are they party animals, do they have gambling problems, do they want to stay in and do nothing.......you know, it's the unknown that is getting to me. Plus I don't travel well alone-surprise, surprise-

BUT!!! I woke up with a fever blister HELP!!!
I have 24 hours to get it GONE!!! Any ideas? Tea tree oil.....LOL
OMG Gymrat enjoy Vegas...it sounds like a fun filled weekend. Enjoy yourself. As far as the fever blister, Abreva works pretty fast. Denivir works even better but you need a script for that. Just make sure you stay hydrated and relax. You'll be fine. Have a great time!!!

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I don't wear eyeshadow unless it's a night out. Then I become dramatic but never match my eyeshadow to my clothes..nor do I match lipstick to my outfits. I love the new gold eye-shadows paired up with colored mascara and eyeliner (plum is my favorite right now). As far as my nails...l usually do Ballet Slipper/Mademoiselle on my finger nails (in the summer) and Miami Beet/Effiel for this Color on my toes..love the contast. In the winter I go with dark colors on my finger nails. And I keep my fingernails short and square...love the look!!!
So your a pink girl-
(Ballet Slipper/Mademoiselle) Mademoiselle perfume is my ABSOLUTE favorite. Nothing beats that smell to me.

I love the plum look myself. I have the eyeliner and the mascara now, just need to bite the bullet and try the MAC. I am not much into eye shadow only because it is just another time consuming process for me. Whenever I try a new eye color it takes me awhile to adjust-
I can change eyeliner, blush, or lip color daily and have no problems with it.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Don't forget your sunscreen!!!!

Have a great time and we want a full report of all activities when you get back!!!

Check out the lunch buffet at Bellagio...that way you can all get what you want, sit in a big booth and yak all day and not spend a fortune doing it! **All you can eat crab legs, shrimp, sushi, Chinese, Italian, roast beef....anything you want, they got it!**

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Don't forget your sunscreen!!!!

Have a great time and we want a full report of all activities when you get back!!!
Oh I got that packed girly don't you even worry-

hey don't you know I will recruit some to ol SCT. They will want too when they see me whip out my DIY serum-
just wait until they see all my tricks!!

No worries, I will not share them. I will make them join first.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh I got that packed girly don't you even worry-

hey don't you know I will recruit some to ol SCT. They will want too when they see me whip out my DIY serum-
just wait until they see all my tricks!!

No worries, I will not share them. I will make them join first.
And I bet you look younger then they do
You might even get carded....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts