Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that since my Proactive decided to stop working after 3 trusty years of it that I'm going to try something different. Keep in mind that I also did this post: heres time line/whats causing acne suddenly

I am thinking that it's very possible that going off of bc and then going back on could have had something to do with it. I am going to my dr. soon and I am going to ask her about it.

My other theory is that maybe my skin got used to my normal stuff so I'm thinking that for the next couple of days or however long I feel it is beneficial I am going to wash with baking soda (as a paste), use apple cider vinegar as a toner (with water otherwise it burns your eyes) and hydrogen peroxide as a spot treatment.

Now I know that these may be harsh things but I've also read in various articles that they can be beneficial as well as get your skin back to the normal state and respond to normal skin care like it used to.

So I used it last night for the 1st time. The baking soda is a little messy but overall it's fine. It definitely left my skin feeling smooth. It didn't burn for me like it does for some, it more less tingled which I find to be a good thing. The ACV is very "potent" so if you don't use water mixed with it, it will burn your eyes because it's so strong. I thought I was going to go blind. This tingled too. Yes, this left my skin dry but I could also tell that it was working.

So I went to bed with the Proactive sulfur mask in certain problem areas and went to bed. Woke up this morning and things are looking up, my skin was smooth and I could tell that a few underground pimps that were starting to come in, may not stand a chance. So this morning I used the baking soda, acv and then hydrogen peroxide as a spot treatment. I then used my normal Proactive repairing lotion as a moisturizer. This isn't the best for moisturizing so this morning i ordered some of the green tea lotion off of proactive. Oh yes, I forgot, before I use the baking soda I clean first with my normal proactive cleanser. Not sure why I just feel like then the baking soda can work better. ?? eh. just makes me feel better.

My face feels tight and a little dry but I consider that to be a good thing because it's how my face feels/felt when proactive worked well.

Hopefully this works. I wonder how long it takes to be on bc for hormones to get back to normal and this to go away (if it is the problem) - I was only off of it for 2 months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All I can say is be VERY careful with this peroxide and soda mix, it is better too start off small and work you way to seeing what works. Dont use a lot, I made this mistake a few years ago, had it on a about 30 seconds, nearly burned my whole face, it was red and sore all night (luckily I had no where to be)

Water it down more than you would think to be safe, see how your skin reacts and go from there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
nmcallister how is the regimen going any improvement??

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just in read "hints from Heloise" yesterday how to use baking soda and water as a weekly facial -- seems it works. I wouldn't use it with vinegar -- I use ordinary vinegar and baking soda as a household cleanser and drain cleaner. each of those ingredients on their own could be beneficial -- peroxide as an antiseptic -- baking soda as a toner and vinegar as a cleanser. do be careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts