Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used baking soda as a cleanser for years and was wondering if anyone else uses this natural, inexpensive item. I use it on my face, all over my body ( I keep a shaker with baking soda in my shower) and to remove hair product residue. I once read an article written by a dermatologist that the best cleanser and exfollient is a mixture of Cetaphil and baking soda. If you have problem with foot odor, try washing your feet with a cleanser and baking soda before you put on your shoes!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had always read that this was a good exfoliant but have recently read that it should not be used because it alters the pH of skin. It has a pH of about 8, which is similiar to bar soap in alkalinity (bar soap is usually around 9) and can dry out skin and disrupt the skin's natural barrier, the acid mantle. This can lead to dryness, flaking and/or acne.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hello bakingsoda, welcome to SCT for lots of great advice and fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't recommend baking soda because of its alkaline level. It will eventually destroy your acid mantle, which should be between 4.5 and 5.9 in order to combat bacteria. Baking soda has a ph of 8.2.
You are better off using apple cider vinegar mixed w distilled water...

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I sometimes mix a little backing soda with my cleanser and use it as a exfoliator for body and sometimes face. Gets rid of any flakies and brightens skin. It terribly harsh and drying, so everyday use is out of question. But brilliant for occasional use! (Unless I consider that micro tear theory)

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is good to read about all the things that we can do with baking soda, myself I used it all the times to do my laundry in my white clothes.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I wouldn't recommend baking soda because of its alkaline level. It will eventually destroy your acid mantle, which should be between 4.5 and 5.9 in order to combat bacteria. Baking soda has a ph of 8.2.
You are better off using apple cider vinegar mixed w distilled water...
Many toothpaste formulas contain baking soda. Where did you read it destroys the acid mantle? Of course if you scrub your teeth like a mad man it would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently began use it every three days on my face because it made it super soft but if its destroying my skin in the process because its an alkaline thats scary...

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
yeah its kind of common sense, baking soda has a pH of 8.2 and the skin's protective acid mantle which keeps away bacteria, toxins, etc. has a pH of 5.5 and is acidic so the baking soda is essentially damaging your skin.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts