Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Bare Minerals contains bismuth which is also in Pepto-Bismol. Who would want that on their face? It is a filler that they use. Mineral-makeup-reviews.com talks about bismuth in some mineral makeups. I had to switch mineral makeups due to the bismuth causing my face to itch especially when I was working out or in the humidity. Not pretty.

· Registered
1 Posts
I too had to stop using Bare Mineral makeup because when I went outside in the summer my face would start to itch and burn due to the bizmouth oxide. When I called their customer service dept. to inquire if I could buy it without this particuar ingredient - the man told me just to stay inside! I am currently using Aveda but would love to go back to a dry product. I would love to know what mineral make you or others are using that doesn't make your face itch.

Thanks

Bare Minerals contains bismuth which is also in Pepto-Bismol. Who would want that on their face? It is a filler that they use. Mineral-makeup-reviews.com talks about bismuth in some mineral makeups. I had to switch mineral makeups due to the bismuth causing my face to itch especially when I was working out or in the humidity. Not pretty.

· Registered
1 Posts
I would also like to know more about the bismuth ingredient.

I've been using Bare Essentials for over a month now and i've loved the finish. I have hyper sensitive, combination to oily skin. And it gives me a great look. Although I do have to touch up after a few hours.

I have noticed however, that my skin has also been getting itchy. I thought it was because of the brushes or something. Has anyone found a MMU that doesn't contain the bismuth ingredient?

· Registered
3 Posts
I had been using Bare Escentuals for over a year until I found out the ingredients. Bare escentuals face creams etc contain alumium, the methyl group etc. The main ingredient bismuth oxychloride contains lead and is to
make things stick...and so clogs your pores....

Since recently finding out I have an abundant amount of lead and mercury in my body I have to be very careful what I put on my skin, therefore, I found Miessence. Miessence is a product line from Australia. Miessence is the world's first certified and only skin care range, certified organic to food standards.

Since switching to Miessence my skin just glows. I feel I am putting something good on my skin and it shows.

You will be glad you did!
Hi!!!

How are you???
Can you tell me were i can find Miessence???...
Thank you!!!!Have a great day!!!!

· Registered
1 Posts
I had been using Bare Escentuals for over a year until I found out the ingredients. Bare escentuals face creams etc contain alumium, the methyl group etc. The main ingredient bismuth oxychloride contains lead and is to

Since recently finding out I have an abundant amount of lead and mercury in my body I have to be very careful what I put on my skin, therefore, I found Miessence. Miessence is a product line from Australia. Miessence is the world's first certified and only skin care range, certified organic to food standards.

Since switching to Miessence my skin just glows. I feel I am putting something good on my skin and it shows.

thanks for info, so disappointed i just bought 2 months ago, well i will not use it any more.
thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
Where to begin??? Let's see..I was doing research on Maybelline Superstay lipstick, which I use daily, and found frightening info. This lead to doing research on bareMinerals, which I also use daily, and which I also found frightening info on.

'synthetic colours (generally indicated by the prefix 'CI') especially coal tar dyes...are common allergens and are also carcinogenic.'

'titanium dioxide and iron oxide...in the dry/powdered form...considered most toxic.'

'Over buffing of minerals can cause irritation and ongoing inflammation on sensitive skin types. Also it can make acne cystic by congesting pores and cause rosacea to flare.'

Daily I use bareMinerals Multi tasking minerals, bareMinerals blush, bareMinerals foundation, and Mineral Veil. Actually, I also touch up several times a day with each product. I love the stuff. But, now I don't think it's all that natural or safe.

Here's some ingredients in the Multi tasking minerals and foundation:
Zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, mica, bismuth oxychloride

The blush contains (note the 'CI'):
Mica(CI 77019), Bismuth oxychloride(CI 77163), Iron oxides(CI 77489, 77491, 77492, 77499), Titanium dioxide(CI 77891), Manganese Violet(CI 77742), Ultramarines(CI 77007), Ferric ammonium ferrocyanide(CI 77510)

The mineral veil has methyl and propylparaben and iron oxides.

Well, now I'm starting to have auto-immune problems, to which among other things, cosmetic chemicals have been linked due to mimicing hormones. Arthritis, achy muscles, papillodema (undetermined cause as of yet), clogged pores, migraines. I'm saying good-bye to my Superstay lipcolor and bareMinerals. Let's hope my health improves. I encourage everyone to do their own research on these ingredients. Be-warned!

· Registered
3 Posts
Whoever posted about there being toxic ingredients please follow that up with more information. I am getting scared and I need to know!
Okay, I've been wanting to try Sheer Cover and Bare Minerals for some time now, but I haven't been able to decide which one I would like to try first. I am a first time EVER makeup user and thought that a mineral makeup would be a great healthy first choice. Lately I've decided to try Bare Minerals first just because I could go to a store and purchase it without commitment issues if I didn't like it. Yesterday, I was looking up some organic products to improve hair growth and stumbled upon a site called goodguide that informs the public about different types of products and toxic/dangerous ingredients.

Apparently, titanium dioxide is a carcinogen, and extremely dangerous if inhaled. It is very dangerous because mineral foundations with micronized titanium dioxide (a micro version of titanium dioxide used for better coverage) is more easily inhaled and increases your chances of cancer.

Zinc oxide is also dangerous, but I don't remember why. People should research this, though.

This is not to scare you! I'm not telling you to completely stop using mineral foundations because they have these types of ingredients. Most foundations use those two types of ingredients and it's in our daily lives. We're exposed everyday; in shampoo, toothpaste, etc. There are pesticides on our food, even organic products are not necessarily safe! Just learn to be ingredient literate and try to limit your toxic exposure.

For those who want to learn more, you can look up goodguide on a search engine like Google or Yahoo.

I just wanted you all to know that I will be trying Bare Minerals as soon as I get the nerve and money:)

· Registered
2,991 Posts
LOVE Bare Escentuals and Smashbox Halo as foundations. I have nearly ALL of the B.E. eye shadows! LOL As for the itchies- if you use B.E. and itch- switch to a SYNTHETIC BRUSH to apply your foundation. The brush make a world of difference. The animal hair brushes began to make me itch and when I switched to a softer, synthetic brush, the itchies stopped.
HTH! I also like EDM original glow foundation. B.E. now has a matte foundation for those who don't like the "glow" if it makes you shine, or if you have oily skin. I love the glow! I've been a hard core B.E. user for 3 years now.

· Registered
1 Posts

this is not true, Bismuth oxychloride contains only Bi O & Cl no Pb anywhere! it used to be used in conjunction with Pb, but that has to be added. it's also not bioaccumulative in case u don't remember Bi=bismuth, o= oxygen Cl=chlorine Pb=lead

· Registered
2 Posts
LOVE Bare Escentuals and Smashbox Halo as foundations. I have nearly ALL of the B.E. eye shadows! LOL As for the itchies- if you use B.E. and itch- switch to a SYNTHETIC BRUSH to apply your foundation. The brush make a world of difference. The animal hair brushes began to make me itch and when I switched to a softer, synthetic brush, the itchies stopped.
HTH! I also like EDM original glow foundation. B.E. now has a matte foundation for those who don't like the "glow" if it makes you shine, or if you have oily skin. I love the glow! I've been a hard core B.E. user for 3 years now.
What is EDM original glow foundation?

BTW - great photo...and I also am a Sparkle crack addict!! LOL

· Registered
4 Posts
I too had to stop using Bare Mineral makeup because when I went outside in the summer my face would start to itch and burn due to the bizmouth oxide. When I called their customer service dept. to inquire if I could buy it without this particuar ingredient - the man told me just to stay inside! I am currently using Aveda but would love to go back to a dry product. I would love to know what mineral make you or others are using that doesn't make your face itch.

Thanks
Back when I first tired BE, I had the same problems with itchy skin. So I stopped using BE for about 8 months. Quit the membership program and all. Then I went back to BE and I have been using it ever since for about 2-3 years now and no itchy problems. Instead of just writing off the BE product, there might be issues with the brushes and even take a look at what your using for cleanser and moisturizer. The only thing that I have changed since the problem that I had, was my cleansing and moisturizing products.

· Registered
2 Posts
I try both sheer cover and bere minerals......definitely bare minerals.....sheer cover was hard to clean even if i clean my face with the one the send me i hate it really. i'm using bare escentuals for a year i have acne-prone and extremely oily skin and it has improve my skin alot and look fabulose on me....does anyone try the new matte for bare escentuals... does reduce the pore aparance? try to find bare escentuals on ebay it less expensive !!

· Registered
1 Posts
I just stumbled upon this thread while doing a google search and wanted to let everyone know about a great website: ewg.org if you go to the site, scroll down a bit, and click on the skin deep: cosmetic safety database link you can search for almost every skin care product you use or are considering using. Unfortunately it does not contain information on Sheer cover but it does have the ingredients in bare minerals listed. All products are rated from 0-10 (0 meaning that it contains no possible harmful ingredients and 10 meaning STAY AWAY!) The ingredients in bare minerals will not cause cancer or developmental problems but it does have ingredients that are known to cause allergies (the itching that a lot of people are talking about), bioaccumlation, and cellular level changes. BareMineral products are rated between a 2 and a 5 depending on the product.

You can also just search for a product type such as "foundation" and it will give you a list of products starting with the least harmful.

Definitely a great resource.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.