Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"BAREFOOT'S EEZY C SERUM:

1 ml spoon of L-Ascorbic Acid powder (finely milled) stirred into about 2 ml. of distilled water.
Add enough Garden of Wisdom base gel to fill a 10 ml. cup.
Stir all ingredients well, apply immediately to face and backs of hands.

Make a new batch the next day.

Since I use it right away, I know it is fresh and not yet oxidized.

I was measuring with a pH strip, but noticed it always came in at about 2.5, so I don't need to check any more.

This is cheap, easy and duplicates the methods used in the Vitamin C effectiveness studies.

I realize others like to add Vitamin E to their serums, but from what I could tell, this was primarily used to delay oxidation - and since I use my gel right away - I saw no need for it."

Gardenofwisdom.com has the gel Barefoot Girl is talking about.
GoW Gel Base [for actives] / 4 oz

Thanks to Barefoot Girl !!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Good idea Fawnie. Now we can just refer folks to your post for an easy beginner's recipe. But - how do we tell them to measure out the ascorbic acid (1ml)?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a nifty little measuring spoon at TJMaxx that measures tsp/ml.
1/4 tsp = 1.25 ml

I'm sure there are measuring spoons out there that can help. Maybe someone else has ideas too.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
I found a nifty little measuring spoon at TJMaxx that measures tsp/ml.
1/4 tsp = 1.25 ml

I'm sure there are measuring spoons out there that can help. Maybe someone else has ideas too.
I have those same measuring spoons, oh how I LOVE good ol TJ Maxx-

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
A reason for vitamin E being in a C serum:

Vitamin C regenerates vitamin E in the skin. An antioxidant like vitamin E can only suppress a limited number of free radicals before it runs out of electrons to donate. Vitamin C regenerates vitamin E and enables vitamin E to provide sustained antioxidant protection in the skin's eleastin fibers.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I too have read that it is a synergistic effect - the impact of using the two together is more than the combined total effect. In other words, 1 plus 1 is more than 2.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Peri, very well said.
Barefoot Girl was just looking to come up with something easy-peasy that wasn't daunting to newbies to make and this is it! It gets points for easy and fresh.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Barefoot Girl was just looking to come up with something easy-peasy that wasn't daunting to newbies to make and this is it! It gets points for easy and fresh.
Yeah - but you have to order something special for it that is not widely accessible, unfortunately.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Oh how I MISS good ol TJ Maxx!
I love TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I can browse those stores for hours, literally. I make 2-3 rounds to make sure I see it all-

You can get some really good deals in there. I get most of my towels from TJ. Great prices for great towels. I also like to get their spices and sauces, teas, coffee and chocolates-yum!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good idea Fawnie. Now we can just refer folks to your post for an easy beginner's recipe. But - how do we tell them to measure out the ascorbic acid (1ml)?
Maybe those little medication measuring cups that come with cough syrup? THey are usually marked with cc/ml and can also be used to mix up the gel with the C and water.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I though I would bump this recipe again to get new ppl interested in making a simple C serum. You only need to buy 3 ingredients plus a 1 ml measuring spoon and a 10 ml measuring cup. HTH!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Maybe those little medication measuring cups that come with cough syrup? THey are usually marked with cc/ml and can also be used to mix up the gel with the C and water.

Yes...these are perfect. I use the one that comes with children Benadryl. They have cc/ml measures on them. I think I'll give this recipe a try when I finish my serum. Kind of like the idea of a single dose per day as it would seem fresher...

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Toni, I think so too, since the idea is ANTI-oxidant....what's the use of putting something on that may or may not be already oxidized, since L-ascorbic acid starts to oxidize as soon as water hits it.

I also like the idea of not having oil or other moisturizing ingredients in it since I use a moisturizing SS - it all gets to be too much moisture here in the Dog Daze of summer!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Toni, I think so too, since the idea is ANTI-oxidant....what's the use of putting something on that may or may not be already oxidized, since L-ascorbic acid starts to oxidize as soon as water hits it.

I also like the idea of not having oil or other moisturizing ingredients in it since I use a moisturizing SS - it all gets to be too much moisture here in the Dog Daze of summer!!
Totally agree with you on this. Don't need more moisture with the humidity!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
ok, i need to know which one of you lovely ladies, sell this stuff. i am not in the greatest of location to buy ingredients. who is selling and for how much. paypal payer here. Vitamin C Serum

1 - 20 of 65 Posts