Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I also found that we only need 15 min of sunlight a day to produce Vit D, so no frying all day needed! .......
What has definitely been proven about sun exposure is that it can cause adverse effects to one's skin and also cause skin cancer.

But how much sun we get to provide enough Vit D is determined by a lot of factors -- such as -- latitude you live in, skin type (dark people need more sun), cloud cover, smog, pollution, clothing worn, age -- as people age their skin has less ability to convert sunshine into Vit.D.

Low levels of sunshine --less than 20 minutes a day is associated wth osteroporosis.
Lack of sun exposure is also associated with
  • arthritis
  • high blood pressure
  • cancer
  • diabetes
  • tuberculosis
  • multiple sclerosis

plus others I didn't write down. (this from a paper delivered at the university of Maryland). So keep taking your Vit D pill -- over 100 mg. can be dangerous. Complicated -- you bet, as other medications can interfere with Vit. D absorption.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks Mari. Boy, one more pill to take....but an important one!
Some ppl are advocating very high doses of D3. What do you think of that advice?
I don't believe in taking over the prescribed dosage -- until you know the effect a certain vitamin or mineral will have. Lots of people think that organic stuff or vitamins are harmless but you can have a reaction. Many vitamins aren't regulated by the Gov't so it may say 25mg but could vary from 25 - 35. I always buy brand names. To answer your question I believe 1000 IU is the maximum recommended. (I made a mistake in my post I said 100mg -- I should have said 25mg - 1000 IU)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
What has definitely been proven about sun exposure is that it can cause adverse effects to one's skin and also cause skin cancer.

But how much sun we get to provide enough Vit D is determined by a lot of factors -- such as -- latitude you live in, skin type (dark people need more sun), cloud cover, smog, pollution, clothing worn, age -- as people age their skin has less ability to convert sunshine into Vit.D.

Low levels of sunshine --less than 20 minutes a day is associated wth osteroporosis.
Lack of sun exposure is also associated with
  • arthritis
  • high blood pressure
  • cancer
  • diabetes
  • tuberculosis
  • multiple sclerosis

plus others I didn't write down. (this from a paper delivered at the university of Maryland). So keep taking your Vit D pill -- over 100 mg. can be dangerous. Complicated -- you bet, as other medications can interfere with Vit. D absorption.
Yes, over 100mg would be a MASSIVE dose indeed. Did you mean 100 iu???
Which would be a small dose.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.