Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am new. So, this is my first post!

Okay, I had Gabrielle Union skin for most of my life: poreless,blemish-free,smooth,glowing;just flawless and luminous. Over some period of time, my skin has progressed where I began to get breakouts. My skin became less than impeccable but my skin was still even and decent. Recently, I have been diagnosed with hormonal acne. So, I go through stages where my skin is clear, then it breakouts. Luckily, I have a milky chocolate complexion that somewhat obscures my dark spots and uneven skin tone.

Since my skin issues are internal, can anyone recommend a Vitamin or supplement that has helped YOU in battling your hormonal issue? Any other tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hello EbonyBeauty...welcome to SCT! There are many incredible people here that can help you, look at the Acne forum and there is a forum that helps with uneven skin tone, read, ask lots of questions and have fun at the same time!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying,lol! I will def. check out posts. I actually lurked before but registered since some people seem really informative. Also, this is the only skin site that is free so I had to register.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello EbonyBeauty!

I also have a problem with hormonal acne.

My hormonal acne started to appear on my face two years ago when my testosterone started to increase suddenly.

My endocrinologist prescribed me Thybon drugs. It's non-mechanical way extracted protein.

Problem wasn't solved completely when i started to take them, but my skin condition became noticeably better.

Good luck,
Vicky

·
Registered
412 Posts
I always had minor breakouts made worse by my picking but now that I am close to 40, the week before my period I've been getting massive cysts on my face and they leave dark marks forever. the first one I got was the week before my 21 year high school reunion. Ugh. I'm thinking hormonal acne. I dont think it needs to be treated differently than regular acne except that you need to make sure you are treating for your skin type, weather mature, dry, combinbation, etc not like teen, oily acne.

I like to only spot treat cysts and hormonal acne so I dont toast the rest of my face. Maro Badescu Buffering Lotion is good, strong stuff. If I pick and squeeze at the massive lump as if something will ever come out of it (usually nothing and I break the skin and make a mess) then I use Drying Cream. I cant help myself.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Diva, maybe it's time for a Derm appt before you pick to death!!
Some options might be: antibiotics, hormone regulation, topical prescription products

I like La Roche-Posay Effaclar A.I. for occasional eruptions since it doesn't dry out the surrounding skin or make it red and it contains an anti-inflammatory to shrink the little debbil quickly.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello EbonyBeauty!

I also have a problem with hormonal acne.

My hormonal acne started to appear on my face two years ago when my testosterone started to increase suddenly.

My endocrinologist prescribed me Thybon drugs. It's non-mechanical way extracted protein.

Problem wasn't solved completely when i started to take them, but my skin condition became noticeably better.

Good luck,
Vicky
Thanks. What sucks about hormonal acne is one minute your skin is clear, then next minute you got bumps on your skin. My issue is not severe but its annoying. I think I'm gonna wait til' the Retina A comes in and I'll post results.

Hmm, ever tried natural hormone supplements?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the best way to find out will be what the doctor recommends you to do or take. It will definitely be the safest and maybe the most effective way to battle your acne. Maybe sleep and water can also help. I have heard a lot of products out in the market available but of course these products can react differently on your skin and somebody else's skin..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hmm, ever tried natural hormone supplements?
Yeah I hate the way my skin can turn on me like that too.

Do be careful with so-called natural hormone supplements. Unless you have been tested and have deficiencies and know what you are treating these supps can throw you out of whack and induce instant PMS, for instance!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
They say certain birth control pills help hormonal acne, YAZ is one of them. It didn't work for me, but it might for you. It is worth giving it a try-

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I hate the way my skin can turn on me like that too.

Do be careful with so-called natural hormone supplements. Unless you have been tested and have deficiencies and know what you are treating these supps can throw you out of whack and induce instant PMS, for instance!!
Actually, I have been tested for PCOS and hormone imbalances,diabetes,cholesterol, by my primary doc but it all came back negative! But my derm diagnosed me with hormonal acne. I break out spontaneously, like at random times-not regularly and my skin complexion has changed;the lower half of my face and my neck. So, I feel I must have a hormonal imbalance somewhere, maybe my derm can re-check that?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They say certain birth control pills help hormonal acne, YAZ is one of them. It didn't work for me, but it might for you. It is worth giving it a try-
I tried Yaz, no, I think it was Yasmine. Either way, I only used it for a few weeks. I stopped because I didn't like the idea of synthetic hormones in me, plus it made me sleepy
. I thought maybe I should try natural hormones instead..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
EB, you might be interested in Bio Identical Hormones then. But you need supervision from a Dr who specializes in it...Gymrat can point you in the right direction.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I tried Yaz, no, I think it was Yasmine. Either way, I only used it for a few weeks. I stopped because I didn't like the idea of synthetic hormones in me, plus it made me sleepy
. I thought maybe I should try natural hormones instead..
I do natural hormones. I have no complaints. Just look for a good endocrinoligist, make sure you have a compound pharmacy in your town, and you are good to go!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no insurance so would I need to get a rec from my doc to go to a endocrinologist? What they do anyways,lol? Can you tell me more about your experience w/natural hormones...

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I have no insurance so would I need to get a rec from my doc to go to a endocrinologist? What they do anyways,lol? Can you tell me more about your experience w/natural hormones...
No insurance doesn't pay for an endocrine. It is the natural way and insurance companies aren't for that kind of medicine.

The Endocrine System: What is an Endocrinologist?

What do you want to know? About natural hormones? Just ask, and I will share-

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just want to know the benefits that you received from natural hormones? And what was your intention for using it? Did you buy it from a store or received it from you endocrinologist?

I think I may get it for free, the appointments. I know with my derm, I got a referral so I only pay for the prescriptions
lol. So, if I get a referral from my doc, then, that will be OK if I just pay for the prescription..

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I just want to know the benefits that you received from natural hormones? And what was your intention for using it? Did you buy it from a store or received it from you endocrinologist?

I think I may get it for free, the appointments. I know with my derm, I got a referral so I only pay for the prescriptions
lol. So, if I get a referral from my doc, then, that will be OK if I just pay for the prescription..
I went with the bio identicals because I did not want to go the synthetic route. A compound pharmacy makes your prescription specifically for you. It isn't like synthetic where majority of people are prescribe the same pill. Everyone has different needs and not all of us are lacking the same hormone.

No, you don't get a referral of any sort. Bio identicals is something you have to pay for out of pocket. It isn't covered by insurance at all.

My endocrine ordered a bunch of lab work, a saliva test, etc. I took those then we took it from there. I get lab work every other month if not more, and I see the Dr every other month. It took me awhile before I could tell a difference, but now, I can totally tell. I have my energy back, I sleep better, I am not as weepy, etc.

Do some research on Bio Identical Hormonal replacement. Also, Suzanne Somers wrote a great book, that is very informative.
The Sexy Years

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, cool! So, what's the price range? And I meant appointments, like you know how if you have no referral or insurance, you have to pay for the appointments too! Well, if I get a referral, I will just have to pay for the prescription. Sounds really cool, never knew they can concot something just for you.

Did you have to pay for the lab tests too?

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Okay, cool! So, what's the price range? And I meant appointments, like you know how if you have no referral or insurance, you have to pay for the appointments too! Well, if I get a referral, I will just have to pay for the prescription. Sounds really cool, never knew they can concot something just for you.

Did you have to pay for the lab tests too?
I am not sure what they would cost where you live, google Endocrines in your area and maybe try calling to see what they would charge. You do not need a referral from your Dr.

Your lab tests should be covered by your insurance, mine are. The saliva test was not, but was worth every penny!! It breaks down so many of our hormones it was worth having that test done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts