Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its mainly about the asian community and social cultural factors on why pale is best....the presenter tests out a givenchy product ...its good should watch!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Has anyone watched this programme on bbc1 ..just watched its really good X
yes i watched abit of it, nothing i dont already know. the hq bit was interesting though, i wish they talked more about it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
skin lightening happens all over the world esp the uk because there so many different communities here.....this programme mainly focuses on south east asian women .. ......about hq its banned the uk but still sold under the counter in ethnic shops..that wasnt really a surprise to me to be honest!

·
Registered
172 Posts
The people in this program were looking to WHITEN, though. Not lighten. They wanted to be ivory white, and would even use foundations to do it. That's nothing like what we're doing here, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
waaah, in the US

can't watch.
<pout>

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The thing is whiteness is not new, it is just that Coco Channel made it in to be tan in the western world. It was in to be white, lilly white, even among Europeans. The whole "social" thing behind it is that wealthier women do not toil in fields or outdoors thus their families have more to offer in a dowry. It all changed and will change more. In Thailand all the actresses go on holiday now and come back touting dark brown tans, soon the masses will too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts