Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sry, that title was total lie. I'm not equipped to give advice, I just did a lot of reading on this site, and am putting everything I learned in one post. I have no experience. If this is dumb/redundant just let me know, I'll delete it.

So, skin lightening.
Sepiwhite (abbreviated on these forums as SW) - newer lightening product. does not contain hydroquinone. said to work synergistically with HQ, RA, Arubtin (AB), and Kojic (KJ); that means you can mix them with other lightening products. Fair & Flawless uses sepiwhite.

HQ - hydroquinone. use 4%. had controversy for connections with cancer but this is mostly media hype

Retin-A (RA) - start with 0.025%, move up to 0.1%. there might be flaking. dermatologist recommended to use this together with HQ 4% for skin lightening.

mono - shouldn't use higher than 20%. may have to use continually or you'll start to get pigmentation back.

Porcelana Fade Cream - may not lighten your skin much but it should keep you looking good.

Fair & Flawless - they sell good products, but they are expensive (you don't have to spend like $80 for a 4 oz. jar of whatever)
You can make your own batches of stuff, there are recipes online (makingcosmetics[dot]com and other places)

Where to order stuff: (We're not supposed to advertise on these forums)
use alldaychemist[dot]com. (abbreviated as ADC)

tips:
- stock up on materials, keep a stash. helps against shipping delays, and can save on shipping
- use highest SPF sunscreen
- don't be desperate, be patient. desperation can lead to bad choices and consequences (if 20% is good, that doesn't mean 70% is better).
- people's skin is different. what works for you may not work the same for someone else.
- mainstream products tend to inflate their claims. be (very) skeptical.
- also, if you try stuff, come back and share your experiences.

Okay, this should help me, and maybe save a fellow newbie or two some time from scouring the threads. I know this post will be lost in a few days' time but I wanted some useful information in one place. Again, this is not my info, (it's mostly ondine's). The real people to stalk are ondine or LightenNLift or some of the others. ...but not LaDonna, she left.
~Allister

-I would add an image here it would be cool but I can't-

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks, Allister! This is a good broad general reference for new members.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Allister - Welcome to the club. I was going to start my own thread with similar title so that it may help the next batch of newbies, now that you have, I would just post my stuff here.

About me - I started Lightening on Monday Sept 21, 2009 - with RA 0.1% and HQ4%

I will share my experiences and lessons learnt.

So, starting out - I was very very very excited -- but learnt my lessons quickly.

1st thing 1st - Skin Lightening like working out - is very difficult to start. Like working out - it pains and like working out - you keep looking at mirror looking for instant changes. I guess we all have been to gym one time or another and have learnt lessons - that "No pain, No Gain" & body-building & whitening is like metamorphosis - it takes time. So patience is a Virtue.

Other things to consider - Flaking: When flaking occurs - it can be itchy to start with, then its visible - for which you should use (Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger) (Sorry i cannot post link yet
). Once you scrub, and if you scrub hard - even water splashing hurts - you won't moan in pain - but - its something you should be prepared for.

This is the regiment i started with:

Morning:
1.\tWash your skin with Likas Papaya soap
2.\tLet the skin dry for 10-15 minutes
3.\tApply Retin-A
4.\tLet Retin-A dry for 30 minutes
5.\tApply HQ 4%
6.\tWait another 30 minutes
7.\tApply Sunscreen (if going out in sun, else nothing)

Evening:
2.\tWithin 5 minutes apply HQ4% (Skin should be moist)
3.\tWait another 30 minutes
4.\tApply Vitamin C Oil or Tightening cream

After 2 days - i quickly changed to applying RA in evening and mixing it with HQ. Direct application of RA takes its toll. Also, I go to work, so flaking a lot is not a viable option for me. Also, your face would turn red. Luckily - there has been lot of sun out there, and i have told my colleagues - that i got sun burnt. I hope they are buying that story

Guess the point is - don't start out on Friday - if you have a presentation on Monday.

Before the newbies take their first Giant Leap, atleast have these:

1. RA-0.025 (Fall back RA, in case higher doesn't work with your social commitments)
2. HQ4% (no complaints with it yet)
3. NCN Professional Microfiber Cleansing Cloth (I can't post link yet, So pls search for link in forum or google - its for $12.95)
4. Sunscreen (You can buy Neutrogena SPF85 @ Walgreens/Walmart)

I would keep updating my experience (mostly weekly) in this thread itself.

Hopefully this helps - newbies, and experts please do correct or add-on.

See you all on the Bright Side

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
This was an informative read. I like the idea of stressing patience. When I began, I was looking to see a result every half hour! It is excruciating at first & tempting to give up when you don't see instant results. Is there a reason you're using the RA in the orning instead of at night? Since it sensitizes the skin to the sun, it would be more effective if you moved it into the evening. You'll also have fewer daytime symptoms since it'll have all night to sink in. I'd suggest being ultra gentle with that cloth bec the RA already causes exfoliation & rubbing at the flakes can cause hyperpigmentation & irritation. A good idea is to buy a cheap tube of generic Hydrocortisone cream at yr pharm. If you get itching & redness, a thin amt of HC can stop it in its tracks. My mother was getting itching from the RA at first & she found herself scratcuing in her sleep! She scratched so much that she woke herself up one night. The HC cream solved the probl. from the 1st use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'm glad everyone is cool with this thread. I am a newb so I'm not sure how things go here yet.
Kaile - good post. I had meant to add a section about healing/ointment type stuff as well but I forgot - I think I got it from a post by LightenNLift. Things like Neosporin and whatnot. What I think I'll do is, I'll edit my original post over time to add great points like yours (I'll give credit). Again, just to have everything in one place, quick and easy. Okay, thanks guys.
~Allister

PS - Gonna (after some more research) order HQ and Retin-A today. Looking forward to giving this a shot.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes thanks both of you! This is an awesome thread. Just a little from me: Be patient! It will not happen overnight. Try not to get discouraged and look at the big picture. This is a proven method so it will work in time.

Another thing I have discovered which I LOVE:

Invisible Zincâ„¢

This product pretty much eliminates any redness I have. After cleansing and putting on my HQ in the morning, my face is bright red. After putting this on, my skin is soothed down back to a normal colour. The other thing I put on top is Johnson's Pure Cornstarch powder (not their baby powder - it is talc and totally different), also very soothing. These two products make my skin look so much better. If you have darker skin you will probably want to go with the tinted version as the normal one does leave a slight white cast. The trick for me is to use only two pumps which totally absorbs and so the white cast is hardly noticeable. This is just so soothing for me and I no longer have a red face during the day

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Allister, the members here tend NOT to be 'anal' like that. Sometimes a newbie has valuable knowledge, ideas & info to share & that's why we're here. The level of support is incredible. Whenever someone hits a stumbling block, a group of people shows up to help out. This is what really makes this place great. If you know about or find out about something that'll better inform us, please jump right in!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Allister - Welcome to the club. I was going to start my own thread with similar title so that it may help the next batch of newbies, now that you have, I would just post my stuff here.

So, starting out - I was very very very excited -- but learnt my lessons quickly.

1st thing 1st - Skin Lightening like working out - is very difficult to start. Like working out - it pains and like working out - you keep looking at mirror looking for instant changes. I guess we all have been to gym one time or another and have learnt lessons - that "No pain, No Gain" & body-building & whitening is like metamorphosis - it takes time. So patience is a Virtue.

Other things to consider - Flaking: When flaking occurs - it can be itchy to start with, then its visible - for which you should use (Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger) (Sorry i cannot post link yet
). Once you scrub, and if you scrub hard - even water splashing hurts - you won't moan in pain - but - its something you should be prepared for.

Morning:
3.\tApply Retin-A
5.\tApply HQ 4%

Evening:

After 2 days - i quickly changed to applying RA in evening and mixing it with HQ. Direct application of RA takes its toll. Also, I go to work, so flaking a lot is not a viable option for me. Also, your face would turn red. Luckily - there has been lot of sun out there, and i have told my colleagues - that i got sun burnt. I hope they are buying that story

Guess the point is - don't start out on Friday - if you have a presentation on Monday.

1. RA-0.025 (Fall back RA, in case higher doesn't work with your social commitments)
3. NCN Professional Microfiber Cleansing Cloth (I can't post link yet, So pls search for link in forum or google - its for $12.95)

Great synopsis!

·
Registered
199 Posts

Morning:
3.\tApply Retin-A
5.\tApply HQ 4%

Evening:

YOU GO BOY!
THIS N4 RULES

1 - 11 of 11 Posts