Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really new to this. I've been researching a bit and bought 88% Lactic Acid, waiting for it to arrive. I'm trying to find the best base lotion for my LA lotion. I was going to use Cetaphil but was wondering if there's anything better. I want the lotion to stay thick. I've read about lotions breaking down and becoming runny. Has anyone used Equate's Gold Bond knock off or the Aveeno or Lubriderm equivalents? I've also read it's best to stay away from Carbomer and none of those lotions have it. Another thing, could I just add it to a DIY body butter? I make one using shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil, a splash of sesame seed oil and apricot kernel oil, grapefruit essential oil and a bit of beeswax. It's a a little firm in the cold months but light and airy in warmer months. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I'm really new to this. I've been researching a bit and bought 88% Lactic Acid, waiting for it to arrive. I'm trying to find the best base lotion for my LA lotion. I was going to use Cetaphil but was wondering if there's anything better. I want the lotion to stay thick. I've read about lotions breaking down and becoming runny. Has anyone used Equate's Gold Bond knock off or the Aveeno or Lubriderm equivalents? I've also read it's best to stay away from Carbomer and none of those lotions have it. Another thing, could I just add it to a DIY body butter? I make one using shea butter, coconut oil, almond oil, a splash of sesame seed oil and apricot kernel oil, grapefruit essential oil and a bit of beeswax. It's a a little firm in the cold months but light and airy in warmer months. Thanks in advance! :)
Any lotion will be fine as long as it doesn't contain "carbomer". LA lotions can become runny that's why it's best to make small batches so it can get used up quickly. You should be able to add it to your body butter I don't see anything wrong with that. What % were you trying to make?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried replying but it's not showing up. Said it needs approved :/ Kinda weird since I just posted a thread but I can't post a comment...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok now it's working.. Anyway, I've been reading Goatie's thread, "Sheep LOOK Lactic Lotion", and I've found that Gold Bond is a good thick lotion that won't thin out. So I picked up the Equate version because I'm cheap lol. Looks, feels, and smells like the real thing. Just waiting on my Lactic Acid now.

I'm going to make a 12% batch for my body to start out with. I have 88% LA and my final product will be about 100grams(about 3.5oz)
So 88x=12(100)
88x=1200
1200/88 = 13.6
I'll need about 13.6 grams of LA or about 2 and 3/4 teaspoons. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still unsure about the conversion of ml, grams to oz, teaspoons and what not. I've just been using a conversion calculator online so hopefully it's accurate.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Ok now it's working.. Anyway, I've been reading Goatie's thread, "Sheep LOOK Lactic Lotion", and I've found that Gold Bond is a good thick lotion that won't thin out. So I picked up the Equate version because I'm cheap lol. Looks, feels, and smells like the real thing. Just waiting on my Lactic Acid now.

I'm going to make a 12% batch for my body to start out with. I have 88% LA and my final product will be about 100grams(about 3.5oz)
So 88x=12(100)
88x=1200
1200/88 = 13.6
I'll need about 13.6 grams of LA or about 2 and 3/4 teaspoons. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still unsure about the conversion of ml, grams to oz, teaspoons and what not. I've just been using a conversion calculator online so hopefully it's accurate.
Thick or not if you add LA to it and just let it sit around and don't use it eventually it will start to get loose.

You can compare ounces to milliliters it's better leave grams alone lol. That calculator should be accurate nothing to worry about but let me double check it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I've tried replying but it's not showing up. Said it needs approved :/ Kinda weird since I just posted a thread but I can't post a comment...
Do you see that little box in between the reply and multiple quote button at the bottom? click on the one in the middle and you should be able to reply (unless you don't see it).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thick or not if you add LA to it and just let it sit around and don't use it eventually it will start to get loose.

You can compare ounces to milliliters it's better leave grams alone lol. That calculator should be accurate nothing to worry about but let me double check it.
Oh ok, I was going to use grams because I have a scale that measures in oz and grams. I guess maybe I should invest in a little ml beaker set or something lol.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
You will be fine using Gold Bond as your base, its what I use, and it will stay thick even once LA is mixed with it. I have not tried the Equate version, but if it doesn't contain Carbomer you should have no problems using it either. I need to check for the Equate brand next time, I always forget :eek: I'm a big fan of all Gold Bond lotions, they all smell nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will be fine using Gold Bond as your base, its what I use, and it will stay thick even once LA is mixed with it. I have not tried the Equate version, but if it doesn't contain Carbomer you should have no problems using it either. I need to check for the Equate brand next time, I always forget :eek: I'm a big fan of all Gold Bond lotions, they all smell nice.
You're the reason I decided on that lotion lol. There's no Carbomer in the Equate version. I also compared the ingredients to the Gold Bond and it's pretty much the same. But I don't think Equate makes the Shea Butter version and all that though. Do you find that the Gold Bond lotion masks the LA smell well? Or do you add essential oils?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It gives you different weighing options. What do you mean? For LA and stuff?
Do you weigh everything in oz on your scale? Because mine has oz and grams. Yeah, what do you put it in when you weigh it? Lol sorry if that's a dumb question lol. I ask because whenever I weigh out food on it I have to account for the container it's in. So I guess something lightweight, instead of a heavy glass cup is best.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Do you weigh everything in oz on your scale? Because mine has oz and grams. Yeah, what do you put it in when you weigh it? Lol sorry if that's a dumb question lol. I ask because whenever I weigh out food on it I have to account for the container it's in. So I guess something lightweight, instead of a heavy glass cup is best.
Your questions are never dumb with me. I weigh in either oz or ml. I use plastic cups or one of these containers that I got. I measure that first (cup/container) to figure out the difference then I calculate it to be the oz/ml I need it to be at (which gets added on). That's smart I wouldn't use something heavy either (defeats the purpose).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your questions are never dumb with me. I weigh in either oz or ml. I use plastic cups or one of these containers that I got. I measure that first (cup/container) to figure out the difference then I calculate it to be the oz/ml I need it to be at (which gets added on). That's smart I wouldn't use something heavy either (defeats the purpose).
Ok, great :) I'm so excited. I think my LA is coming in the mail today. Can't wait!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts