Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new here and just wanted to get some opinons. I have tried many different facial cleansers but can't seem to find anything that i really like, that is affordable. I was on a skin care regimen with Dermologica for about a year that worked well for me but the cost is just too much. I have somewhat senstive skin very fair skin. I rarely break out with pimples, but I do have blackheads on my nose, mostly bumps and clogged pores under the skin. does anyone have any advice of what to try?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I've been looking for a facial cleanser that has both Alpha and Beta hydroxy acids. Usually, they are only available from designer brands that doesn't really justify their cost. Well I found it, its called Desert Essence Pomegranate Cleansing Gel (Desert Essence Pomegranate Facial Cleansing Gel -- 4 fl oz - Vitacost) has glycolic, malic and salicylic acids so this is perfect! I like that it is in gel form (not runny or syrupy in texture) so you have more control of the amount you want to put. It is clear and it is organic full of antioxidants. It has a faint scent which I'm not sure of. With Chamomile and Green Tea as its first ingredients you'd think it would have that scent. Pomegranate is only the 3rd ingredient so it should've been aptly named Chamomile/Green Tea Facial. I like it so far. Usually use it first and keep it on longer before soaping and shampooing, and then rinse my face last, that way the acids work more effectively. It has pomegrate - ellagic acid which brightens and work against discolorations.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
138 Posts
For us sensitive skin types, it is very important to steer clear of anything with fragrance. Essential oils can also cause a reaction if there are too many of them added to the list.

I recommend the following.

Eucerin gentle hydrating cleanser

Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

Neutrogena liquid fragrance free facial cleanser

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are several cleansers I alternate between

I also love Cetaphil gentle cleanser

Cerave hydrating cleanser

Olay foaming cleanser for sensitive skin

Earth Science Creamy Cleanser

I love the fact that the cetaphil and cerave and the earth science don't burn the eyes no matter how much you use, that tells me it's gentle.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I agree with LnL LOVE the Desert Essence cleansers they are great and very gentle

·
Registered
138 Posts
More and more I am getting the feeling that anything with glycerin in it sucks for sensitive skin too. At least when your skin-care regimen includes retinoids. Because retinoids dry your skin, it makes perfect sense to conclude that any cleanser with a glycerin base would only dry it more.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
ARGGGGG LnL I am a very confused Goatie today. It's not Desert Essence it's Earth Science from Vitacost.com. I love it. Very gentle and creamy.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've been looking for a facial cleanser that has both Alpha and Beta hydroxy acids. Usually, they are only available from designer brands that doesn't really justify their cost. Well I found it, its called Desert Essence Pomegranate Cleansing Gel (Desert Essence Pomegranate Facial Cleansing Gel -- 4 fl oz - Vitacost) has glycolic, malic and salicylic acids so this is perfect! I like that it is in gel form (not runny or syrupy in texture) so you have more control of the amount you want to put. It is clear and it is organic full of antioxidants. It has a faint scent which I'm not sure of. With Chamomile and Green Tea as its first ingredients you'd think it would have that scent. Pomegranate is only the 3rd ingredient so it should've been aptly named Chamomile/Green Tea Facial. I like it so far. Usually use it first and keep it on longer before soaping and shampooing, and then rinse my face last, that way the acids work more effectively. It has pomegrate - ellagic acid which brightens and work against discolorations.
Any idea about the PH level of this one?

·
Registered
138 Posts
What Is Glycerin?

If it's diluted properly glycerin is hygroscopic and attracts water to the skin rather than drying it.

GardenofWisdom.com has some interesting cleansers and samples:
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/cleansers.html

I like the GoW cleansing oils since they contain cromollient, an emulsifier that breaks up the oil/makeup sludge and rinses clean.
I am talking about any facial cleanser with glycerin in it irritating my skin. I am sure those who make these products understand proper diluting practices. Do you have fair, sensitive skin fawnie?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
BabyBoy
I buffered the RA cream with Bariederm until I could tolerate Full Strength.
I only use RAM about 3 times a week now. It's just too drying to use every day for me.
I use Jan Marini Bioglycolic cleanser which is really mild for a glycolic cleanser. Also I use this soap-free cleansing bar that is glycerin based in the morning - it isn't drying at all:
Soap Free Cleansing Bars
I hope this helps a little.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 83 Posts