Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thighs are often the most difficult areas to shift weight from as they're one of the main places that women tend to store fat, so it'll be difficult...

However, there are some very simple exercises that can help you tone up.

Walking always helps, as does climbing and descending stairs. I'm not sure how well I can explain the other exercises, but I'll try!

Lean with your back to a wall as if you were sitting on a chair, so your thighs are horizontal - you might have had to do similar in school either in gym or as a punishment! See how long you can remain in that position - it's a killer on the thighs, but burns calories and tones the muscles.

I'm not very good at explaining these things, so this is from a site called "Are You Slim?"

The exercises are called "Squat Thrusts" and among other things, help to tone your upper legs:

"1. Put your hands on the floor, shoulder width apart, with your legs stretched, just like in the normal push up position.
2. From this position, quickly bring both legs forward, underneath your torso, by bending your knees and thrusting forward quickly.
3. Then return your legs to the original position using the same quick, powerful movements."

A good, healthy diet will also help so reduce the amount of saturated fats, salt, etc. that you eat. Fish, white meat, pasta and wholegrain rice are very good if you want to lose some weight and tone up.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
I think you are explaining "wall sits" where you sit against the wall as if you are in an invisable chair. These work well.

The other I think you are describing are Burpees. Which are VERY good full body strenghthening exercise. We actually just did post on this very same subject.

http://www.skincaretalk.com/diet-exe...nee-aches.html

Running, walking, climbing stairs/bleachers, and lunges also are a good exercise for toning your thighs. As is resistant training, either with bands or weights, or both-

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Unfortunately we can't "shift weight" from anywhere.

Your leg routine should be just a small portion of your overall fitness product, rather than the entire focus. Nutrition and rest also play a vital role.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately we can't "shift weight" from anywhere.

Your leg routine should be just a small portion of your overall fitness product, rather than the entire focus. Nutrition and rest also play a vital role.
Damn ...

Why do I seem to gain it from the bottom (literally) up & lose it from the er, top - down?
LOL

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I don't know, Stiletto...bustiness just makes a woman look matronly I think. I'd rather look slinky and svelte. And there's nothing wrong with some booty! It didn't hurt Kim K's image any.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn ...

Why do I seem to gain it from the bottom (literally) up & lose it from the er, top - down?
LOL
Unfortunately, the first place you gain weight is often the last place you lose it. Fat storage is different for everyone, but it is extremely common for women to carry excess weight in their lower body (for example: butt, hips, thighs). If you eat a balanced diet and exercise your whole body regularly (I would recommend weight lifting and cardio routines), you can see results. Don't be discouraged if it takes longer for your lower body to show results, even a lot of fitness models find that it takes longer for their lower body to appear as fit and toned as their upper body.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mireckca, She's another one like Paris Hilton: famous for being famous! I don't know that she ever HAS done any work...has she? Aside from X-rated videos I mean.

Peri has her picture on his "Favorites" list for sure!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mireckca, She's another one like Paris Hilton: famous for being famous! I don't know that she ever HAS done any work...has she? Aside from X-rated videos I mean.

Peri has her picture on his "Favorites" list for sure!
Sorry, I admit that I am dense about these things. So she wasn't in the movie or play Momma Mia. That was just Peri's way of describing her assets. I see the name in the headlines from time to time but have no idea what sort of thing she does. But now I get it. I am learning so much on this site!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
She was in the reality show "Keeping up with the Kardashians" with her sisters, mom, and step-dad Bruce Jenner (former great olympian decathalete).
Her boyfriend is Reggie Bush.....New Orleans Saints running back.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I thought her real dad was that lawyer OJ had....
And wasn't she on DWTS at one time? I never watched it, so I'm clueless about it too, but I check out The MockDock routinely and she makes frequent appearances there!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
And wasn't she on DWTS at one time? I never watched it, so I'm clueless about it too, but I check out The MockDock routinely and she makes frequent appearances there!
DWTS - I know this one (not because I watch it, but I shop and it is always on the cover of the tabloids!)

MockDock? Never even heard the word. That's okay - I'll exit this thread now before you folks get totally frustrated with me!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes that was her real dad. He died a few years ago.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Callanetics has given me a better figure than all the walking/weight training etc. that I ever did.

My butt, thighs, legs have really tightened up and sort of elongated somehow. It's an elegant but strong look - not chunky. My stomach muscle definition has re-appeared - having vanished with my 2nd pregnancy 18 years ago. In fact, as a younger woman, although my stomach was as flat and tight as a drum - it didn't have the definition that is now appearing with Callanetics. Weight training, which I did for a year in my early thirties and again for a year after my first pregnancy didn't do this for me.

Walking. I walked for five miles a day for six months, some years back. It didn't shift much body fat, and did little to define my legs. I also went for several months walking daily with ankle weights on = very little definition to legs. Running/jogging? I have never been able to cope with it or like it, so don't know what that would have done for me.

I do add in some weights for the shoulder area though - just enough to get the side (medial) head of the deltoids (although all 3 heads probably get hit anyway) so that I don't look too slope shouldered (have long neck and that extra shoulder definition removes 'giraffe' from my cv!
).

In the end, it's about finding out what's right for you - and enjoying it as far as possible. I really enjoy my Callanetics, so...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts