Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best makeup book that you've ever bought? For me, I thought that Bobbi Brown Teen Beauty wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
582 Posts
makeup book? Like a book that has makeup tips and stuff? I buy a lot of magazines that have beauty info in it... I guess that sorta counts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Right on! for Kevyn Aucoin, also check out his Face Forward book.

Then there's Iman: The Beauty of Color. She's not out done Kevyn but their's such a variety of women included that I'd consider it a must have for the pic's alone.

·
Registered
360 Posts
well face forward has awesome close up pictures and in depth descriptions for each look. but i love cosmo beauty tips and glamour!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Anything by Kevin Aucoin (spelling?) and Bobbi Brown are nice....there are a couple others out there Alexis Vogel ummmm....let me think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carmindy - The 5 Minute Face.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Allure Beauty Editor's book! It's a few years old but a good basic book.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have never bought a make up book, just beauty magazines. I've read that you should NEVER believe any reviews on make up/beauty products from a beauty magazine because they will never write anything bad about the products. I stopped buying those magazines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with janeeee999, 1 week they love Estee Lauder the next Lancome etc.... How can they wite anyhting negative? Half the magazine is advertisements for high end cosmetic companies. They need to keep those clients.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like to look at all the new makeup books on the shelves.

My vote for application and technique goes to Laura Mercier hands down. That woman really is a genius. My foundation, concealer, powder and blush application is a million times better thanks to her.

I've looked at Carmindy's books but can't get in to them. Same for Jemma Kidd who I suspect is a good MUA.

Bobbi Brown's books though dated are fun to refer to.

Scott Barnes, J Lo's MUA, is the king of contouring and bronzer. His book is worth looking at just to get the perspective of why bronzing and countouring so important nowadays.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have never bought a make up book, just beauty magazines. I've read that you should NEVER believe any reviews on make up/beauty products from a beauty magazine because they will never write anything bad about the products. I stopped buying those magazines.
Actually, I always heard that the companies that make the products you see mentioned or reviewed have paid for it to be done. Not going to be a very objective opinion. I have never trusted any of them, but still, I enjoy reading fashion mags and watching the make over shows on TV. My fave is "How to Look Good Naked." I love the ones that Gok Wan did. He is just amazing and a lot of fun to watch!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually, I always heard that the companies that make the products you see mentioned or reviewed have paid for it to be done. Not going to be a very objective opinion. I have never trusted any of them, but still, I enjoy reading fashion mags and watching the make over shows on TV. My fave is "How to Look Good Naked." I love the ones that Gok Wan did. He is just amazing and a lot of fun to watch!
I love Gok too. He's soooo very very nice without being judgemental. I loved watching him. I'm not crazy about the Canadian version. Its just NOT the same

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Love!

Amazon.com: Making Faces (9780316286855): Kevyn Aucoin: Books

I read it over and over and then gave it away to someone who needed it way more than me (because her eyes were broke...broker than me... and I didn't have the heart to break it to her... so I just gave her my book and told her I thought she'd love trying to looks over and over).

This is next on my hit list, I love colors-of-the-world type books.
Amazon.com: Face Forward (9780316287050): Kevyn Aucoin: Books

RIP, Kevyn Aucoin!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts