Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have never bought a make up book, just beauty magazines. I've read that you should NEVER believe any reviews on make up/beauty products from a beauty magazine because they will never write anything bad about the products. I stopped buying those magazines.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like to look at all the new makeup books on the shelves.

My vote for application and technique goes to Laura Mercier hands down. That woman really is a genius. My foundation, concealer, powder and blush application is a million times better thanks to her.

I've looked at Carmindy's books but can't get in to them. Same for Jemma Kidd who I suspect is a good MUA.

Bobbi Brown's books though dated are fun to refer to.

Scott Barnes, J Lo's MUA, is the king of contouring and bronzer. His book is worth looking at just to get the perspective of why bronzing and countouring so important nowadays.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have never bought a make up book, just beauty magazines. I've read that you should NEVER believe any reviews on make up/beauty products from a beauty magazine because they will never write anything bad about the products. I stopped buying those magazines.
Actually, I always heard that the companies that make the products you see mentioned or reviewed have paid for it to be done. Not going to be a very objective opinion. I have never trusted any of them, but still, I enjoy reading fashion mags and watching the make over shows on TV. My fave is "How to Look Good Naked." I love the ones that Gok Wan did. He is just amazing and a lot of fun to watch!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually, I always heard that the companies that make the products you see mentioned or reviewed have paid for it to be done. Not going to be a very objective opinion. I have never trusted any of them, but still, I enjoy reading fashion mags and watching the make over shows on TV. My fave is "How to Look Good Naked." I love the ones that Gok Wan did. He is just amazing and a lot of fun to watch!
I love Gok too. He's soooo very very nice without being judgemental. I loved watching him. I'm not crazy about the Canadian version. Its just NOT the same

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Love!

Amazon.com: Making Faces (9780316286855): Kevyn Aucoin: Books

I read it over and over and then gave it away to someone who needed it way more than me (because her eyes were broke...broker than me... and I didn't have the heart to break it to her... so I just gave her my book and told her I thought she'd love trying to looks over and over).

This is next on my hit list, I love colors-of-the-world type books.
Amazon.com: Face Forward (9780316287050): Kevyn Aucoin: Books

RIP, Kevyn Aucoin!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.